Gendry and Arya

Cap Ou Pas Cap

I could accept Arya and Edric Dayne together if things didn't work out with Gendry. She seemed to like him, as Arya_Nym pointed out in her post. Agreed that that scene with the two of them watching the sunset together was lovely. And, instead of a Robert-Lyanna take 2 situation, it would be a Ned-Ashara take 2 situation leading to a Dayne-Stark alliance. Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne supposedly loved each other but that didn't work out so maybe this time it will with the next generation (and Edric's nickname is Ned!)

Agreed. :blush:

Why is that? Because they are cousins? Pfft. That means nothing in ASoIaF.

I think it means nothing in those times, it was very common in Medieval times for cousins to marry, but Jon and Arya were raised emotionally and mentally as Brother and Sister.

I could tolerate it better, (barely), if it's Dany and Jon, because they were not raised with that familial bond.

And the trend in ASoIaF is that only the crazy Targs., and negatitve characters, Cersei/Jaimie, Crastor, etc., engage in incest.

Besides, I think for literary puposes, Arya for Jon is the spiritual connection to his Mother. It won't make any sense though unitil he finds out who his Mother was, but when he does, he will see he was never alone, and his Mother never truly left him.

• 1 month later...

Aurane Waters is perfect for Arya imo.

Aurane was the Master of Ships.

He stole Cersei's ships which should gain him points with Arya. Arya also said that she could never love a coward. I think his move in AFFC showed bravery.

He is a bastard which Arya seems to like. Despite being a bastard he is still opportunistic so he may not have such insecurities over his status.

He has Jon's dry humor.

I think she would like someone with Jon's qualities.

He employs criminals. I don't think he's that moralistic which should be good because Arya is a killer.

He seems intelligent and he's handsome. His father was described as handsome so he should age well.

He was compared to Rhaegar while she was with Lyanna. He's 22/23. Arya should be 12. There was a similar age gap b/w Rhaegar/Lyanna.

He's described as lean and handsome with long hair.

Jaqen didn't have the same hair color or features but he had the same body type and length of hair. Arya found that pleasing to the eye.

Although I admit Arya wanting to run away and be an outlaw with Gendry was cute.

The only person worse would be Ramsay!

He stole the ships to save his own skin, how is that brave? He took the ships for his own gain, Arya would see that.

Dry humour yes, but he's mocking in a way that's not like Jon at all, and isn't a very appealing characteristic.

Arya is more ok with cut-purses than most, but the criminals we're talking about here would be murderers and rapists, we all know how charmed Arya was with Rorge and Biter. Arya is a killer herself but she kills with some degree of principles, at least to start with, and she still tried to justify the killing of the insurance man.

Aside from Jaquen being a good looking guy, I never got any impression Arya was into it. Besides there are plenty of lean men in the series, I don't remember Arya being smitten with Loras and he's lean, long haired and has very fine features.

The compare to Rhaegar was a first glance thing, he's not near as good looking, and Cersei starts to go off him after a while:

'He has the hair, but so do half the whores in Lys, if the tales are true. Rhaegar was a man. This is a sly boy, no more.'

Waters is just a cocky prick, who chanced to get onto the small council because he sucked up to Cersei and she was a fool. Then ran away to the stepstones at the first sign of trouble. If Arya ends up with him I'll put down my book. Rage a bit. Calm down. And then pick it back up, but I'll still be angry!

The only person worse would be Ramsay!

He stole the ships to save his own skin, how is that brave? He took the ships for his own gain, Arya would see that.

Dry humour yes, but he's mocking in a way that's not like Jon at all, and isn't a very appealing characteristic.

Arya is more ok with cut-purses than most, but the criminals we're talking about here would be murderers and rapists, we all know how charmed Arya was with Rorge and Biter. Arya is a killer herself but she kills with some degree of principles, at least to start with, and she still tried to justify the killing of the insurance man.

Aside from Jaquen being a good looking guy, I never got any impression Arya was into it. Besides there are plenty of lean men in the series, I don't remember Arya being smitten with Loras and he's lean, long haired and has very fine features.

The compare to Rhaegar was a first glance thing, he's not near as good looking, and Cersei starts to go off him after a while:

'He has the hair, but so do half the whores in Lys, if the tales are true. Rhaegar was a man. This is a sly boy, no more.'

Waters is just a cocky prick, who chanced to get onto the small council because he sucked up to Cersei and she was a fool. Then ran away to the stepstones at the first sign of trouble. If Arya ends up with him I'll put down my book. Rage a bit. Calm down. And then pick it back up, but I'll still be angry!

LOL, I don't think he's a bad person per se. He just isn't the most moral. If you have a really moral guy then he's more likely to look down on Arya's behavior or at least be uncomfortable with it unless they have an already established relationship where that wouldn't matter.

I think he saw an opportunity and jumped on it. He's ambitious. Everyone seems to be motivated by something. I still think it was a bold move to do it right under the regime's nose in KL.

Jon is capable of mocking when his humor is directed towards someone he doesn't like. Selyse would apply.

Aurane just took men who otherwise would have been sent to the Wall. So men who otherwise would have had to work with Jon.

I don't think she was into it as she's not shown any real interest yet in men in general. She's not ready yet and has other things on her mind. He's the only character in the books she repeatedly notes how good looking he is though. She doesn't do that for anyone else.

I don't think it's happening but I'm even more convinced that Arya/Gendry is not going to happen. The former is just a non cannon ship.

Unless Arya gets picked up by pirates some where along the way, I can't think of any way of Aurane meeting Arya. Unless he goes to Braavos for some reason and somehow recognises her or she thinks he's a Targ and that makes him curious. Or he says she looks like Lyanna and she slips some how.

He could be a pirate. There are several theories though whether it's Tyrell lackey, still pro Stannis, future Aegon or Dany supporter, etc.

I don't think that she would think he's a Targaryen just because of his features. She saw an actual Targ descendant and didn't think anything of it. There are lots of Lyseni sailors in Braavos and they buy from her.

I kind of view this relationship as a bit of redemption for Robert. All he wanted was Lyanna Stark who Arya looks like, Gendry plainly wants Arya. In contrast to the Robert, Arya seems to have similar feelings(however unknowingly) for Gendry, who looks like Renly, who looks eerily like a young Robert. I'm just sayin. Hmmmm...

• 2 months later...

I kind of view this relationship as a bit of redemption for Robert. All he wanted was Lyanna Stark who Arya looks like, Gendry plainly wants Arya. In contrast to the Robert, Arya seems to have similar feelings(however unknowingly) for Gendry, who looks like Renly, who looks eerily like a young Robert. I'm just sayin. Hmmmm...

Makes me feel sad the comparison between Robert/Lyanna and Arya/Gendry. Lyanna didn't loved Robert and he claimed her as his own despite that. I'm sure he knew Rhaegar was her true love.

And, really, Robert don't deserve any kind of redemption. He was a really bad man.

But, children aren't guilty of their parents sins. And I love the way GRRM portraits Gendry, as a boy way to different from his father. He looks like him but he isn't like him in any way and never will.

I loved this couple in the books. I especially enjoyed the scene where Gendry does not go for any of the whores at the inn, but instead ends up later on in a ticke fight with Arya. He has feelings for her; that is clear. He's also jealous when Ned Dayne shows up.

Hah, this is so true. The tickle fight was so cute.

He definitely did have a crush on her back when they were the pack. But if I'm honest, as cute as they were, I can't see it happening. Gendry's like Jon, even if he was offered legitimacy and the chance to be Lord of somewhere, he wouldn't take it. He has a strong case of Bastard-syndrome and will devote himself to being a blacksmith, just as Jon refused Stannis in order to continue being a Nights Watchman. I think Gendry will play a role no doubt sooner or later, perhaps in the reforging of Ice given that there are hints Tobo knew how to work Valyrian Steel and Gendry mentioned how he was going to be able to make a longsword before he was scooped by Yoren. If Gendry were to marry Arya then he would be given or have to be given some sort of title as she is of noble birth and given how awkward he found that in the past then I don't think it will work.

Who knows? They may end up having mutual love for eachother but aren't able to act upon it.

• 4 months later...

My Brother and his girlfriend got me to watching the TV Show and I really liked it. His Girlfriend has read all the boks and while I do not mind spoilers and asked her a lot of questions they gave me the books to read and I a currently on the second. I have spoiled stuff by reading the internet and I love the STarks and I absolutely love the direwolves and admit I cheer them on in the books each time they ome to the defense of the Stark Children. I notice Martin puts in a lot of undane sentences that seem mundane but later make sense same with scenes, analogies etc..(ex: the wolves mother being killed by Stag and hence being orphned and born of death. I also noted since the lannisters (joff are not baretheons the stag killing the Wolve was misplaced or posed a different meaning) later the Starks are orphaned too. I like Gendry and Arya and they will probably get together when the time and age is appropriate kind of like a brother's friend growing up seeing his friend's sister and then see her in a new light come teenage years when the sister changes etc.. (I seen it happen a lot). I think Gendry's purpose is much more than his connection to Arya and I think it has alot to do with him being a Baretheon and a blacksmith. He has great skills as a blacksmith. I do not think he will forge lightbringer as some will say because I think the sword and reading its history is not so great and makes me think that sword is bad rather than good. I do think he will forge a sword maybe even re-forge ICE (I know I spoiled that one for myself). ICE was forged not where any other sword was made and has great history in the Starks line and magic of its own. Gendry it seems has the looks and strength of his father, but the heart of whoever his mother was. He only knew his mother had blonde hair and sang to him. (I thought it wold be Cersei, but I do not think so). I think he will forge the sword(s) that fight the others and the sword Jon saw in his dreams in book 1. I will have more on the Gendry/Arya relationship when finish the book. I just hope he does not kill off Gendry or have the red priestess use him. I do not trust the red priestess(I do not have must trust in anyone who believes fully blinding). I also notice that if a character is dead dead that he lets us know(ex: Eddard, but even though he is dead he will stay play vital role through his children.) Others we think may be dead, but do not know for sure because no one has seen it firsthand or the characters chapters have not seen it (ex: Ben STark, etc.). I love the book and keeps me on edge and I like it as well as keeps me thinking and analyzing which is great. have a thought that the direwolves and the dragons will play a major roles in a lot of things (meaning that there has to be a targaryn and a stark in the end why else would dany dream of wolves and dragons?)

I think Gendry is like his father in which he is true steel like the way the blacksmith who forged the warhammer was describing the brothers to Jon. ICE's making has always been a mystery and it is an ancient sword I think. I also think a lot has to do with the crypts of Winterfell and a lot of their history/knowledge still resides there and I think the truth to Jon will lie there as well. Gendry could be a true Baretheon, I do not think so but possible. (Cersei said Jaimie brought someone to "cleanse her" of the only time she was pregnant with Robert's child which I take it as an abortion but someone like Varys could have done something to make the child be born and raise elsewhere and then brought the child to the smith. I also am not sure how much I trust Varys as he is like a doubleedge sword saying 2 different things within the same sentence. Gendry's skills could come into handy when needed to forge swords especially those of Valayrn steel that seem to have special value, strength than any other swords that other people make. I also think the weirwoods play an important part especially the one in kings landing with all the eyes. (let me know if I am mistaken). More thoughts later. I think if Jon (being the eldest) survives he would be able to find great matches for his sisters but would probably go with the hearts and would allow Gendry to marry Arya if Arya wants to marry. I think Gendry will be like the Mormont character and earn his knighthood and honor by forging the swords, assisting the STarks and being loyal. Remember what Tyrion said to Bronn and I think he is right that Bronn volunteered because he thought he would be welcomed into the Stark service and Tyrion pointed out that the Starks value honor and loyalty above all else and would never ask Bronn into servie because his service could be swayed. Unlike Syrio who earned the trust and tuff of Arya and would have been an excellent teacher in Winterfell to Arya and all the other bannermen. His honor and loyalty were pure and true as I think Gendry is as well. I know Nymeria is alive and maybe even a mother because when the wolves came to arya in the water they smelled her and backed away meaning one of the wolves in the pack knew her scent and left her alone. I love how the direwolves can sense something is wrong with someone. I am pretty sure Arya when the time comes and she isreunited with her Direwolf she will probably use Nymeria to test him. Too many thoughts swirling around.

I've love reading these two together. I thought I was a cute little duo. Yes Gendry was older than Arya but I thought they had little crushes on each other. I think that is why Gendry didn't pick himself up a ho in that tavern. He didn't want to disappoint Arya. I think she saw in Gendry, the same things she saw in Jon, and she and Jon close. He was kinda like her second Jon. She missed Jon, but with Gendry around she was less lonely because he kinda filled that void that Jon left. I do think she started to notice him the way girls first start to notice. It just seems so like Arya that her first crush would be an older guy.......

I don't think it really matters at this point if anyone knows who Gendrys pa is.....I don't know if he will have a role to play further in the books

I also think it would be kinda nice to see happen what couldn't happen between Robert and Lyanna, only this time of course the feelings could be mutual.

Even though I ship them, I'm mad at him right now for leaving her. I'm on my second read through so I know once Brienne meets up with them in AFFC I'll forgive him, only because I don't want him to end up with that boyfriend stealing hussy Willow. I can't really see Arya forgiving him for leaving her though.

Honestly I will ship Arya and ANYONE as long as it's what she wants. As I've said before Arya and Gendry are my Buffy and Angel, but I would not cry if George gives us a Spike :> (In my headcannon it's (f)Aegon until George proves otherwise hehe)

Also I'm 25 and not at all 14!

Lyanna Stark was willing to do her duty and marry Robert despite his inability to be a one woman man. She would have had a very sad marriage,. Arya and Gendy would have the same thing. He is loyal and true, but he abandoned her, in her perspective. She could never truly trust him again. He will also grow up, albeit affected by the war, she will not. Her time with the faceless men has arrested her emotional and sexual development. She would also seem to not have a duty to anyone as of now. It was a case of what could have been.

• 6 months later...

I sincerely hate this pairing. And I do not have much love for those shipping it either.

The whole idea of basing them together simply because they ran away from the capital together is pathetically taking the first thing you see due to fangirls need to ship something. Even more so when they think they have this romantic notion and connection. She was eleven and could care less about Gendry any other ways than she also saw Hot Pie. There is nothing between Arya and Gendry and luckily there will never be anything either.

I want Arya to be awesome and independent. Maybe after some years, I can see her together with some one she wants to be with. And there I would be fine with any one aside of Gendry. May it be Edric Dayne, Trystane Martell or whom ever.

It truly is horrible to see them making a Twilight teen romance over Arya.

I would love it if in the end the whole story turned out to be told by Hot Pie, who was the master cook in the castle of Lord Gendry and Lady Arya. A total mindfuck.

Anyways back on topic:

There are only two possible love interests for Gendry

1) Gendry + Arya

2) Gendry + Sansa (remember the character, IIRC Jaime, who hoped she had married a blacksmith and would never turn up again).

One of these has to happen because from a literary PoV a Gendry-Arya/Sansa pairing is to good of a literary device not to utilize. The initial pairing between Stark and Baratheon went wrong and both participants ended up miserably and the whole realm suffered from it. Thus it only makes sense that at the end of the series there is a succesful pairing between a child by Bob and Ned, to signal the end of the tribulations and the dawn of a new era.

[it's important to note that the unsuccesful attempt at Robert + Lyanna will probably be repeated in tWoW with an unsuccesful attempt to pair Sansa and HtH (who seems to resemble Young Robert in character, eventhough they are not kin). ]

One of these has to happen because from a literary PoV a Gendry-Arya/Sansa pairing is to good of a literary device not to utilize.

I have to say that I completely disagree with this. Gendry's not even a major player in the books and there's no guarantee that we'll even see him again. And Arya doesn't need a romantic storyline in any way. Giving every character a love interest regardless of whether they need one is something bad writer's and Walt Disney do.

I have to say that I completely disagree with this. Gendry's not even a major player in the books and there's no guarantee that we'll even see him again. And Arya doesn't need a romantic storyline in any way. Giving every character a love interest regardless of whether they need one is something bad writer's and Walt Disney do.

IA.

I think Gendry living to the end is an assumption. GRRM could have him do something of note only to kill him off afterwards. There was a bastard who was killed in the princess story that made me think of Gendry.

Secondly, I think he's better with a commoner. His resentment is groundwork for cheating later and IRL divorce. Many men can't stand the fact that their wife is of higher status than them. They need to feel like the man in the situation and feel emasculated. Then they look to someone else who can make them feel like the man who is in charge.

Third, I started to think last year that GRRM may just have Arya function as an asexual character. She doesn't develop sexual interest and having a partner won't be relevant to her arc at all. She's too young to really be doing anything so I don't see how it would advance the plot. If you make her marry (i.e. one of Stannis' men) she just goes back into that captive role. Nothing new really.

Archived