Is it possible that Jon has a Targ name?

Draxus

Ned tell Cercei in AGOT that he's made many mistakes in his life and I think he might feel that naming Jon "Jon Snow" was one of them. It's also funny that he must tell Robert about the Lannister children and begs Cercei to flee but does not feel compelled to tell Robert about Jon. Hmmm. I guess this is selective integrity. Could be he feel Jon has more right to the IT than Jamie's children. Jon looks more Baratheon than Targ. But then I stray.

or Dave

Dave Targaryen

Oh my god, I just unleashed a monster of a laugh at that.

Also, I might be one of the few people that actually just loves the name 'Jon Snow'

But other than that, Rhaegar would have named him and it seems likely it would have been Viserys or something.

I'm in favor of the idea that he would have been called Aemon, but I don't think Jon is going to change his name, even if he finds out that he has another one somehow. He's a son of the North. If he finds out that his mother was Lyanna and that his parents were married, I think he would prefer to go by Jon Stark. I really like a suggestion from one of the previous topics on the subject of what Jon should be called - Jon Stark, the Dragon of the North. It's simple, but sweet.

An obligatory remark: name portmanteaus are stupid. Don't hold your breath for Jonaerys Targstark or Aejon Daerandon Starkgaryen.

Maybe itĀ“s Aemon. Aemon was both RhaegarĀ“s and JonĀ“s friend and we never had a king Aemon. And Aemon the Dragonknight was one of JonĀ“s childhood heroes.

Or Visenyon or what ever the female form of Visenya is.

i love how you said "we never had a ..." that to me is clear sign of addiction to asoiaf. :laugh:

Ned tell Cercei in AGOT that he's made many mistakes in his life and I think he might feel that naming Jon "Jon Snow" was one of them. It's also funny that he must tell Robert about the Lannister children and begs Cercei to flee but does not feel compelled to tell Robert about Jon. Hmmm. I guess this is selective integrity. Could be he feel Jon has more right to the IT than Jamie's children. Jon looks more Baratheon than Targ. But then I stray.

Cersei is married to Rob, Lyanna wasn't :)

What if Jon really is a Viserys, Jahaerys, Daeron, or Maekar? lol What if Lyanna didn't name him Jon? What if she gave him an epic Targ name? And Ned just renamed him later to protect him? I realize this isn't a big deal so please don't come at me with a 'who cares' lol I'm just curious as usual of what you guys think.

Those names are too obvious as Targaryens. If Ned will keep Jon (with a Targ name) as his own son, people will suspect who among the Targaryens he bedded and had a child with.

I assume he has always had a Targ name, but it would raise a ton of question if Ned's "bastard" was named Maeker Snow.

Well he could have said the mother named him. ;) There are people running around with "Targ"-names that clearly arenĀ“t Targaryens (Aeron, Daemon Sand).

I remind you that if R+L, then Jon is still a bastard, and would not have the name Targaryen. He would still be Snow, or Waters. Viserys, Viseryon, Aemon, Rhaegon, Daeron, Jonaerys... is still gonna be Waters, or Snow. :P

That is where many people disagree. Jon can be the product of a second marriage

Azorahaierys Targaryen

:drunk:

Well he could have said the mother named him. ;) There are people running around with "Targ"-names that clearly arenĀ“t Targaryens (Aeron, Daemon Sand).

There was this silly theory somewhere, that Aeron Greyjoy is a secret Targaryen too, because he has an 'ae' first name... Such a first name could not prove he has anything to do with any Targaryen...

Had Rhaegar lived, I think there is a chance the baby would be named Orys, so he could one day become his half-brother's shield, stalwart right hand etc. Aemon's a good guess too, given Rhaegar being pen pals with Maester Aemon.

Had Rhaegar lived, I think there is a chance the baby would be named Orys, so he could one day become his half-brother's shield, stalwart right hand etc. Aemon's a good guess too, given Rhaegar being pen pals with Maester Aemon.

Forgive my ignorance on this issue, but I've seen it said a few times now that Aemon and Rhaegar communicated... but I don't remember this from the books at all. Usually I pick up on stuff like that, so I ask you... what is the source for the information concerning their communication? Not that I'm doubting it... I just don't remember now.

Forgive my ignorance on this issue, but I've seen it said a few times now that Aemon and Rhaegar communicated... but I don't remember this from the books at all. Usually I pick up on stuff like that, so I ask you... what is the source for the information concerning their communication? Not that I'm doubting it... I just don't remember now.

I believe it's when Aemon is talking to Sam about Azor Ahai and tossing out the Dany-red-herring thing.

Archived