Why The Jon Hate?

Dolorous Nedd

So we have moved on from arguing over witch character is best to witch acter/actress? LOL

Stephen dillane FTW!

Liam Cunningham as Davos is perhaps the best, though. :cool4:

Lena Headley FTW.

She is the perfect Cersei.

Also, I can't read Sansa's chapters without imagining Sophie. :dunno:

Did I say "Jon is not allowed to be likeable"? No. So why are you arguing that? I simply said that I am frustrated with his character being so likeable when a character who is at least equally likeable (Sansa) is treated with scorn by people in the fandom. GRRM has said that characters who are almost universally liked are "probably a piece of cardboard". Surely that applies to Jon?

Your statement read a bit like you couldn't stand the fact that Jon was liked when several characters you like more are the subjects of controversy in this fan community. It almost came across like you felt honor-bound to dislike Jon because he's so goshdarn likeable.

Characterizing Jon as a "piece of cardboard" just doesn't seem to fit. Jon is one of the few characters in the books who is called upon to exhibit a lot of personal growth in order to survive the events of his arc, and he does. That is unusual for ASOIAF and just as he's starting to have some success, he finds himself the victim of treachery. That seems pretty interesting to me. His struggle is an uphill one and a worthy one, one that seems pretty interesting.

What? Kit is awful as Jon.

lol He really is, the constant "derp" face he makes just makes me lol most of the times.

It's like ughhhhh...just stop it..that is not acting, it's just making derp face. :l

Kit def. doesn't help with my opinion of Jon honestly, not I can't help but picture his derp face when reading his chapters. His funniest derp face was when Jaime walks away from him in the first ep. of season one.

Just makes me cringe.

or the well-meaning but sadhat belief that the North really is going to come through for Stannis.

If the northmen cross the only king trying to help them they are not deserving of my sympathies and no better then freys and lannisters.

If the northmen kill stannis, the others can take westeros for all I care.

This is fine. Dany does nothing for me, for example. That could devolve into me being accused of sexism, but that's another story.

It's calling Jon a weak/cliched character that frustrates people. It's alright that he's not your cup of tea. Calling it 'not tea' is what pisses off his fans.

Exactly. And I hate it when "oh you only like so-and-so because he's a guy" or "so-and-so is held to different standards than a woman" or whatever comes up. It's lazy and cheap and insulting. I look at characters based on their actions, not on whatever junk they happen to have between their legs. I have male and female characters that I like and male and female characters that I don't like. I think such accusations are ultimately just projection by people who can't judge people without gender coming into it, so they assume other people are unable to, too.

Apple, is Kit getting hit by a plank in your avatar?

Naw, he's getting ready to knock Pyp/Grenn/someone on his ass.

I don't think he's an "underappreciated victim." My point was aimed at those (like, uh, you) who constantly bitch and moan ad nauseum about how boring he is, when if he did stuff that you consider "edgy" or "interesting," he'd be just another asshole no different from the vast majority of characters in this world who do shitty things for one reason or another.

Except that I've never said he needs to become more of an asshole to be more interesting. Hell, I love Brienne as a character for example, and she's a saint compared to Jon or anyone else. My issues with him are elsewhere.

There have been some posters who have had this opinion, but they are few and far between (and I haven't seen such a post in a while), yet you use them as a blanket dismissal of everyone who don't like the character. "See, they want Jon to become a murderous asshole otherwise he bores them, the only characters they find interesting are child murderers, they don't have no idea what they are talking about, LOL".

ETA: And I have yet to see Kit Harington, open-jawed and gormless and all, do any acting as painfully godawful as Emilia Clarke's entitled brat spiel in Qarth. That was actually painful to watch.

LMFAO, I knew you'd say this if I said anything about Kit Harington (you must be getting predictable).

Emilia Clarke is far from the best actress on the show (Lena Headey, Charles Dance and Michelle Fairley are far, far, FAR above the quality of any other cast member), but she has proven herself to be very good depending on the quality of the writing (i.e. she's good when her dialogue is lifted from the book). As for her "entitled brat spiel in Qarth", surely that was the whole point? Dany was desperate and embarassed herself. Clarke reflected that accurately if your response is anything to go by. But oh well, Dany got her badass moments in at the end anyway and proved she can't be defeated by stupid men. :)

Your statement read a bit like you couldn't stand the fact that Jon was liked when several characters you like more are the subjects of controversy in this fan community. It almost came across like you felt honor-bound to dislike Jon because he's so goshdarn likeable.

No, it's just an additional problem I have. I already didn't care for the character long before I joined this forum.

Asshat is more real? :o

Well I've at least seen in in populair media that's what I'm trying to say.

ps I see Apple is going on a crusade here...

If the northmen cross the only king trying to help them they are not deserving of my sympathies and no better then freys and lannisters.

If the northmen kill stannis, the others can take westeros for all I care.

Don't worry, Stan will be throttled on his chamberpot in the snow somewhere by a Wight. ;)

What can I say, happens to the best of people, such as Julius Caesar.

Julius Caesar was really nothing like Jon, except that both briefly occupied positions of power. If you want to talk about a person responsible for atrocities and brutality, Caesar's your guy.

Archived