Jamie's reaction to Aegon

Valyria's Finest

But I think that jaime won`t just unmake Tommen, he`ll do that in order to keep him safe. I can see Jaime helping Aegon in exchange for Tommen and Myrcella`s lives. As for Stannis, let we just hope he`ll come to his senses and bend his knee.

Yeah, what a bummer that will be for Stannis, he'll probably clench his jaw so hard it will snap.

I think everyone in Westeros who is honest is going to be sceptical of Aegon, after all there is simply no proof and an obvious opportunity to create a pretender. I think he will also be quite ambivalent about Dany and/or Aegon on the grounds of residual loyalty vs suspician of raving made cruel people as monarchs (although he has one in the family now). I hope he finds a way to get a good result for his children and his bannermen out of it - ie children alive, bannermen not decimated.

I hadn't really thought about it, but it would make sense that Jaime would actually declare for Aegon based on his guilt about failing Rhaegar and getting his own children off the throne (he thinks it would be safer for them). Depending, of course, on his survival of whatever shit he is in right now (I have no guesses about what is going on there, except that involves Lady Stoneheart in some manner).

why exactly do people think Jaime will survive?

He should definitely be given a distraction, like the current plotline he's embroiled in, so he isn't able to ride south at full speed only to burn out quick. Conserve your pieces! Save him for the big finale when all the major POV's collide? Or so this one hopes. Also, this'd give him a chance to do both: defend KL militarily but then also still slip away to have a showdown with Cersei when her behavior becomes unforgivable in a way that spends the lives of their kids.

Maybe he'll survive, maybe he won't. We're just speculating. That's what this forum is for. :P

Praise the gods! Do you know that on some forums speculation is a dirty word? There are boards out there dominated by weird pharisees who don't want to talk about any ideas that aren't canon, even years after the last new official material was released!!! How demented is that? So I'm very thankful that speculation runs wild here, where we have proper fans and an entertainment franchise that makes us think.

Besides it's not like he can offer him his services. If Jaime won't die after killing Cersei his road will lead north, he will never return to KL.

I used to entertain notions of Jaime riding right up to Daenerys' tents and apologizing and renewing his loyalty to the real dynasty as long as she can show proof of sanity because that's the only reason he shifted away from Targ loyalty to begin with. Aegon is actually more likely to let him live through such an apology.

The man desperately craves to apologize to Rhaegar's shadow.

Well put.

I think it's unfair that people assume he doesn't like or care for his children. in POV's to come we will find out [how much he truly does].

In a brighter scenario, if one of his kids is already in the hands of Aegon's faction, that'll add to the reasons why he'll throw himself upon their mercy instead of running at them with sword drawn. And I have a sneaking suspicion that Arya is going to account for the other kid's safety. I just see her luring Tommen away from Cersei's clutches by warging a kitten and having Tommen run after it like a good kittay shepherd. Just a gut feeling.

we know that Jamie loathes being remembered as "the Kingslayer", ....and will seek to redeem himself.

hmmm. Killing his sister would be more like repetition than redemption in that case, huh? Might be cleaner to send him north to save humanity?

At the moment he is too logical to make a decision in his mind. He will most likely think of him as fake, he was in King's Landing that day, he knows that the chances of Aegon escaping were very small. But I am sure he would want to see him.... this is a very good reason for him going south next. Could he resist not going after Aegon??

At the moment he is too logical to make a decision in his mind. He will most likely think of him as fake, he was in King's Landing that day, he knows that the chances of Aegon escaping were very small. But I am sure he would want to see him.... this is a very good reason for him going south next. Could he resist not going after Aegon??

I have wondered about Jaime just sitting down on the throne after he killed Aerys. Logically, he should have headed towards Elia and the children as part of his king's guard duties. As he didn't, I have wondered if he didn't feel they were in any danger since it was his father's forces and he didn't feel there was any danger to them or if he didn't because he knew of a possible plan to get Aegon out. Kind of the only hint of Jaime's thinking on Elia and the children come from his weirwood dream and he seems to feel really guilty there. It will be very interesting to see how Jaime responds to the news about Aegon.

I don't think Jaime is quite the central figure in the story that many readers believe him to be. I think the remainder of his arc will deal with Brienne, Catelyn, Cersei, his children, the repercussions of the Red Wedding, and nothing more. And I think this will all wind down in the next book.

He will not be involved with any of the major characters in the series anymore (i.e., Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, and the Starks).

His reaction will be to gather his things and head for the free cities. Westeros is becoming a dangerous places for Lannisters. Casterly Rock is a nice strong castle and all, but I don't think it will serve to protect any Lannister when Aegon and his elephants show up.

I have wondered about Jaime just sitting down on the throne after he killed Aerys. Logically, he should have headed towards Elia and the children as part of his king's guard duties. As he didn't, I have wondered if he didn't feel they were in any danger since it was his father's forces and he didn't feel there was any danger to them or if he didn't because he knew of a possible plan to get Aegon out. Kind of the only hint of Jaime's thinking on Elia and the children come from his weirwood dream and he seems to feel really guilty there. It will be very interesting to see how Jaime responds to the news about Aegon.

IIRC at one moment Jaime thinks back to that day, and remembers that he hadn't imagined for a second that Elia and the children were in danger. He simply didn't think about it. Honestly, I think killing Aerys hit him really hard... is it possible that was his first killing in his life??? He fought against the Kingswood Brotherhood, but we don't have clear info on whether he killed someone or not. And other then that, he had no other opportunity, as the kingdom was at peace....

Haven't read everything, but my idea (if Jaime lives and Aegon is a fake) is somehow Jaime would be the one to figure it out and MAYBE tell people. For some reason I can also see him keeping it to himself though.

Regarding his fakeness-

Aegon and JC don't know, so probably most don't.

Illyrio and Varys are probably the only two that would actually know and I doubt either of them would say anything. Ever.

So if he's a fraud, Jaime is the only option I can think of for the reveal. And there's gotta be a reveal.

The only other option I can think of is creating a 'dance of dragons' with the readers with some of us deciding his real and the heir, and some of us deciding he's fake.

IIRC at one moment Jaime thinks back to that day, and remembers that he hadn't imagined for a second that Elia and the children were in danger. He simply didn't think about it. Honestly, I think killing Aerys hit him really hard... is it possible that was his first killing in his life??? He fought against the Kingswood Brotherhood, but we don't have clear info on whether he killed someone or not. And other then that, he had no other opportunity, as the kingdom was at peace....

You're right. He was pretty young. Although Aerys was at least his second kill (he killed Aerys' Hand just before he killed Aerys, I can't remember his name), he had made a huge decision that men older than him would have found difficult, if not impossible, to make. He was probably still pretty shook up.

I just have to say, everyone seems to think that Jamie is not fond of his children and I believe that this assumption is wrong. I think he cares deeply, they are his flesh and blood, his creations he made with Cersei (whom he may not be fond of now but his previous love and devotion can not be questioned). He literally could not take a special interest in the children for fear of people asking questions, making assumptions. I do believe that he grew to dislike Joff, who didn't. But Tommen and Myrcella are IMO the only Lannisters still alive that actually seem to be good people with good hearts.

I am definitely one of those people who hated, then grew to love Jamie so I may have a biased opinion, but I think it's unfair that people assume he doesn't like or care for his children. I think in POV's to come we will find out such.

On Joff "He was nothing more than a squirt of my seed in Cersei's cunt."

On the other hand I'm inclined to agree he won't let Tommen and Myrcella be killed by the returning Targs. I think Jamie wants to prove his worth and swapping sides again only will make him seem the more dishonorable.

Maybe he takes or sends Tommen and/or Myrcella into exile.

He would fly. He would know that even if Aegon wasn't "mad king", his LC career is at end and that Aegon would have lot of people advising him to off his granddad's killer.

OTOH "New" Jaime might come to court if summoned, and stand trial for it - revealing the reason of kinslaying. He would have some evidence to back it up (wildfire stash found when Tyrion prepared the Blackwater trap), so he MAY save his neck for exile, but he would be stripped of ranks and titles. Maybe he'd have to take the Black...

No, neither Aegon nor Dany are good news from Jaime. Stannis might actually let him keep the post and chop off his member :P

That would be too badass. I'd love to see Jamie give "And what a king he was..." speeches. It would be even better if it was in the presence of Dany.

My guess is that if Jaime is not going to survive his meeting with Catelyn, GRRM would have put this final Jaime chapter into ADwD. Why not kill him there? It would have been stupid to kill him in his first TWoW chapter.

As to his relationship with his children:

When GRRM decided to have Jaime leave KL and Tommen in AFfC he made sure that Jaime would not become the stalwart servant to his son and king. Tommen (and Myrcella, if she is ever crowned) are nothing but placeholders. Aegon changes the game. They won't remain figureheads until Dany returns, they will fall much sooner. And the return of Rhaegar's son actually gives Jaime the pretext and the opportunity to break completely with his family and try to become Arthur Dayne instead of the Smiling Knight. His children don't mean all that much to him. He never had the chance to bond with them, and he has much stronger issues to deal with at the core of his character.

We should also keep in mind that Jaime might also desperately want the chance to apologize to Elia and her children. He did not fulfill his duty to her or her children, either. He will grasp the straw of a second chance. The fact that Aegon is only Aerys' grandson, and that Jon Connington most likely had little love for Aerys makes it quite likely that they will accept Jaime if he promises to end the coming war before it began...

Wasn't there a part is SOS where Jaime says he was going to declare Aegon king with Tywin hand and Tywin had the kids killed first?

Archived