[BOOK SPOILERS] What Does the Future Hold for Shae?

Woftis

PS: Dylan rules.

Indeed he does :D

I don' t think her TV characterization is that great of a departure from the books. We only think of Shae as a money grubbing whore becasue we found her in Tywin's bed after she testified against Tyrion. Up until that point we don't know her motives, she may have been coerced and Tyrion certainly didn't give her a chance to explain herself.

The whole idea that she did it for money is an assumption on our part, as well as one that Tyrion made. We want to believe that Tyrion wasn't mistaken but the whole situation is really ambiguous.

Not necessarily. There's multiple hints leading up to the trial where Shae's true nature shines through; I remember it well because I read it after watching the series and was quite surprised.

Also, during the trial itself, the whole 'Giant of Lannister' thing isn't something she had to say. No one knew about it, it could have just as easily been left unsaid. This to me, seemed like resentment on her part.

It's likely that Shae will be executed by Tywin/his sidekicks. I don't see the same schemeing bitch in TVShae as i saw in BookShae. In addition to that what happens in the books doesn't fit the TV characterisations of Tyrion and Shae.

Anyways, only D&D know what they're up to.

Book shae isnt a scheming bitch. Nowhere near as nice as show shae, granted, but other than perhaps unnecessarily humiliating the imp she didn't do anything wrong. certainly nothing as bad as having a singer casually killed.

It's going to be disappointing if show Tyrion continues to be the white knight of westeros

People really love TV Tyrion and they've been going out of their way to tone down his immorality and make him a "loveable rogue" type, so I could see them changing it so he doesn't kill Shae. Or it would just make it all the more shocking when he does just fucking *snap*.

Like someone mentioned, if they change it so that he isn't the one to kill her I'm fully expecting Shae choosing to flee with Sansa and getting gunned down by LF instead.

Maybe I've been duped as bad as Tyrion but I really like TV Shae's personality, and enjoy the hell out of her friendship with Sansa. She seems genuine, but whether she is or isn't I'm excited to see where they're going with her.

IMO: They have already set up her reason, jealousy. Show Shea clearly cares for Tyrion and Sansa. Once they marry, she naturally feels betrayed by Tyrion, therefore her motivations for testifying against both of them at the trial is very realistic. She wants to get back at them. As stated by another, she goes out of her way to humiliate him at the trial, "My giant of Lannister". Tyrion HAS to be the one to kill her. It is going to be so shocking to the non book readers. I do not think this will cloud Tyrion for the audience. It is a crime of passion. Very plausible.

I don't see it at all. I think that Shae is an actress, she plays her role beautifully. Tyrion is paying her to be his girlfriend a role which she plays to the T. I don't see a departure from the books at all, just a better way of showcasing the relationship. What alot of people fail to realize is at the end of the day Tyrion was paying her for her affections, she did such a great job of showing it that you (and he) forget that shes just playing a role.

IMO: They have already set up her reason, jealousy. Show Shea clearly cares for Tyrion and Sansa. Once they marry, she naturally feels betrayed by Tyrion, therefore her motivations for testifying against both of them at the trial is very realistic. She wants to get back at them. As stated by another, she goes out of her way to humiliate him at the trial, "My giant of Lannister". Tyrion HAS to be the one to kill her. It is going to be so shocking to the non book readers. I do not think this will cloud Tyrion for the audience. It is a crime of passion. Very plausible.

I pretty much agree with this. It's clear that D&D are already starting to lay the foundations for a massive Tyrion/Shae-conflict (predominantly due to the marriage to Sansa), which will culminate with Shae stabbing Tyrion in the back during his trial. Although it's true that in the show Tyrion is generally presented in a better light than in the books, I think it would be outrageous to lessen the impact that the trial and the subsequent events will have on him: Tyrion really needs to lose everything he holds dear, so that (at least at first) his lust for revenge on everyone that has wronged him is the only drive he has left, which will make his quest for Danaerys a logical consequence. To do that, Shae has to die, preferably at Tyrion's own hand. Not to mention the fact that the cast will get increasingly crowded as it is: with the inclusion of the Dornish, more Greyjoys and Jon Connington/(f)Aegon, some storylines will have to be wrapped up.

Even then, though, I think D&D could be spinning Shae's betrayal in a slightly different way, making her actions a bit more morally ambiguous.

My pet theory? D&D are setting Shae up as the first of the Sand Snakes. Considering how many bastard daughters Oberyn has and his past travels, it would be easy to add one more and explain Shae's origins. The Shae they've portrayed so far in the show doesn't seem like the type to easily betray Tyrion, even if she was angry with him and being threatened by Cersei; she seems like the type that would only resist the more. However, I could see Shae doing it on her father's request: Shae's evidence will force Tyrion to choose the Trial by Combat, allowing Oberyn to fight the Mountain, to give Dorne justice. If Shae doesn't believe Tyrion will win the trial the regular way (which is plausible, in the face of biased judges) and Oberyn is absolutely confident of his victory over Gregor, then Shae would be the kind of person to temporarily betray Tyrion to make sure he will choose the Trial by Combat before he is condemned. Not to mention that it would easily demonstrate just what a scumbag the Red Viper can be, despite his limited screentime.

Adding a connection like this between Shae and Oberyn Martell will get the average viewer far more invested in the Dornish storyline, which will cause his death to carry far more of an impact. In addition, Shae will die over a misunderstanding, making her murder at Tyrion's hands all the more tragic.

They also have to break her friendship with Sansa as she betrays her at the trial too.

Since Sansa's already escaped the city at that point and hasn't been found despite the passage of a pretty decent length of time, I don't think that's really a betrayal in the same way, since there's every reason to believe she won't be found at all. Moreover, since Sansa vanished at the same time as Joffrey's murder, her "involvement" really doesn't require much evidence.

I feel that the show is, so far, is removing much of the moral greyness that appears in the books. I guess they felt that the viewer should know who the good guys and the bad guys are. I quite like how they are handling Shae, and if it pans out the way I hope, I will be happy with the changes. I have my fingers crossed that it will occur as some people have already mentioned here - Shae will be instrumental in Sansa's escape, then will be captured by Tywin and executed for her part in it and/or her relationship with Tyrion. This, coupled with the scenes recently where Tywin has been really unpleasant to Tyrion, will allow the viewer to feel that Tyrions murder of his own father is justified. So far, show Shae has been shown to be loyal, caring and trustworthy. To then have her act so deceitfully would just be a cheap shock twist that would serve no purpose (it was believable and relevant in the book since we never really knew much about her, therefore it was easy to believe that Tyrion had simply read too much into the relationship).

I would be utterly flabbergasted if they decide to have Shae bone Tywin and be murdered by Tyrion...it would be the only time in the show that sticking with the plot of the books would really piss me off (purely for the cheap bait and switch). Tyrion WILL kill Tywin, but it will be to avenge her death, rather that revenge for the betrayal.

I don't see it at all. I think that Shae is an actress, she plays her role beautifully. Tyrion is paying her to be his girlfriend a role which she plays to the T. I don't see a departure from the books at all, just a better way of showcasing the relationship. What alot of people fail to realize is at the end of the day Tyrion was paying her for her affections, she did such a great job of showing it that you (and he) forget that shes just playing a role.

I think if this were the case, we would have had a lot more scenes of here actually being paid...we would have been constantly reminded that she was a prostitute. In reality, it hasn't been mentioned since she was introduced, and we certainly haven't seen her being paid for anything. Its obviously on the mind of everyone who have read the books because of what happens, but i am hoping the show won't play out this way (see above).

Tywin will kill her, giving Tyrion the motive for killing him rather than re-introducing Tysha's story and confusing the non-reader viewer who will almost certainly have forgotten that story from season 1. Somehow Tywin finding out would be Jamie's fault (to establish their reason for Tyrion's hate for him) and everything falls into place, including keeping both Shae and Tyrion whitewashed.

There's no way that show-Shae will betray Tyrion, to me it was clear that book-Shae had zero feelings for Tyrion.

I got the impression in 3x01 that Shae will be hanged.

The story about Tysha was reduced so much in the show it doesn't serve as proper motivation, but show!shae's death would. It explain why show shae is so different, no one would really if book shae was in the series.

I actually don't have THAT much of a problem with this change, it's sort of an improvement on the books IMHO.

Honestly, they better not whitewash Tyrion so much that he doesn't even kill Shae. As quite frankly I am tired of this determined need for them to portray Tyrion as mini-Ned only now without any actual flaws because he is extremely intelligent and witty.

I think it is far more likely that Tywin will kill Shae and that will in turn lead Tyrion to kill him. My reasons:

• Tywin's quote in S3E1: "The next whore I find in your bed, I'll hang"
  • Tyrion's portrayal as a good guy in the show, rather than the more gray character we see in the books
  • The lack of any mention of Tysha since season 1
  • Shae's portrayal as a more sympathetic character in the show
  • The Tyrion/Shae relationship seems completely genuine in the show, as evidenced by numerous scenes in season 2

I feel the same way. They COULD reintroduce the story of tysha on Tyrion and Sansa's wedding night as small talk.

OR

It all comes down to the trial:

If she testifies againts him, Tywin could spare her life and send her "wherever whores go".

If she doesn't, he hands her. Giving Tyrion a final modus operendi

I definitely don't think Tyrion will kill her (and I don't think they'll include much of the darker stuff he gets up to in Dance). It's too much for the audience's/critics general favourite, for the TV medium at least.

If they are going to remove Tyrion killing Shae after she betrays him they might as well change the red wedding and stop it from happening.

That's a bit harsh. Seeing as tv!Shae is so different to book!Shae by this stage, I don't really think it matters that much. Certainly not as big of a deal as the RW, as Tyrion killing Shae only had a direct effect on his character's journey.

Snow Owl made a good point upthread about Tywin killing her and that contributing to Tyrion killing him: if not, she could replace Tysha in Tyrion's "wherever whores go" search (although they'd need to alter Jaime's confession to Tyrion after the black cells). There are still some theories bouncing around that tv!Shae is a sand snake...

Honestly, they better not whitewash Tyrion so much that he doesn't even kill Shae. As quite frankly I am tired of this determined need for them to portray Tyrion as mini-Ned only now without any actual flaws because he is extremely intelligent and witty.

Lets be honest most of the show characters have been whitewashed. Cersei, Shae, Tyrion, Tywin, and Cat are better characters because of it. I think it's a good thing for TV. I don't understand the particular need to make Tyrion's character dark.

If they are going to remove Tyrion killing Shae after she betrays him they might as well change the red wedding and stop it from happening.

No disrespect but that makes no sense.

The Red Wedding is a major climax in the story. It affected almost every character in the series. The killing of Shae did nothing to push the plot forward and merely served a role in a single characters development.

Archived