[TWoW Spoilers] Worldcon reading: second Tyrion chapter

Joseph Nobles

Thanks you so much Joseph Noble for posting this.

I didn't liked the Meereen storyline, but the battle seems to be one of the best parts of the whole serie. A siege, dragons, Ironborns, a naval and land battle :eek: I can only think of D&D faces thinking "how the hell are we going to get the budget to film all of this?"

Anyways, on the other side...Am I the only one who fears that too many chapters in this battle can only mean that the battle of Ice will happen off-screen?? We already have 7 chapters and the battle isn't over, I really doubt GRRM will spend 20 chapters of battle at the beginning of tWoW. As much as I like Dragons and Victarion, I would have prefer Stannis vs Roose much and more :P

Anyways, on the other side...Am I the only one who fears that too many chapters in this battle can only mean that the battle of Ice will happen off-screen?? We already have 7 chapters and the battle isn't over, I really doubt GRRM will spend 20 chapters of battle at the beginning of tWoW. As much as I like Dragons and Victarion, I would have prefer Stannis vs Roose much and more :P

To be fair, The Battle of Ice could be quite a spread out affair.

The first part of it is going to be the battle on the Ice lakes. Which is very different to an attack on Winterfell itself. That bit might come later?

So GRRM has released or read 8 sample chapters so far, and has mentioned an Aeron one i think he offered to read at one of the cons, which got voted down in favor of another one (Arianne?)

AWOIF mentions 11 sample chapters were released for ADWD over 5 years leading up to its publication. Let's say he gives us a new chapter to taste every few months or so, he will be at the 10-11 mark by the end of the year and stop releasing them about a year before TWOW comes out.

Not exactly going to speculate about when, because it's played out by now, but let's just say i like the pace at which these samples are coming out, when you look at how many came out for ADWD.

We have 4 battles confirmed for TWOW: The Taking of Storm's End by [F]Aegon, The Battle of Meeren, The Battle of Winterfell, and Cersei's Trial by Combat. Others that will probably occur [in my opinion]: A battle between the Iron Islands and the Reach [probably will result in Euron taking Highgarden or Oldtown], A Battle between the Reach and Aegon's forces [i believe in Arianne I it states that a Tyrell army is marching on Storm's End from King's Landing], Mutiny of sort during the fallout of Jon's assassination at the Wall, Aeron's raising the people in revolt against Euron [maybe a stand-in for real-life peasant revolts?], and the capture of Riverrun by the BwB [Tom being there, "no man will take my castle"=Witch-King "no man can kill me" yet ends up killed by a woman, which is the gender of the BwB's leader, Lady Stoneheart]. This is in response to Ghost's Shadow's question about Aegon having a battle by the way.

Yes, thanks. I was just thinking about the attempted assassination of Jon on the Wall, and how there'll at least be a skirmish before things get settled down in one way or another.

That's a lot of fighting for one book. Well, we knew the next two books would need to be fast-paced to stay two books, and I guess it might be working? Some things are at their boiling point for the moment, so lots of fall-outs and changed situations, and that's even before the Others reach the North.

Snip

I agree that the Battle of Ice will probably be a lot shorter than the Battle of Fire. I'm guessing 4 chapters maximum, really, and that's including build-up and aftermath.

But I disagree about the structure of the book. Including only confirmed chapters, my guess is:

1. Prologue
  2. Theon I - followed by the rest of the battle chapters. I put it before the BoF because 1) it should be shorter and therefore a more satisfying opening, and 2) it immediately follows the Prologue, which will presumably be set in Westeros, and it would feel incoherent to move from the Prologue to Meereen and then back to Westeros.
  3. Barristan I
  4. Victarion I
  5. Tyrion I
  6. Barristan II
  7. Victarion II
  8. Tyrion II - followed by any more chapters in Meereen.
  9. Daenerys I
  10. Arianne I - followed by the battle for Storm's End.
  11. Sansa I
  12. Arya I
  13. Arianne II
  14. Aeron I

That's a pretty huge chunk of the book right there already... and I haven't even included all the battle chapters! It's a bit worrying. But at least the book will get off to a strong start.

Thank you!

Man, if the Battle for Meereen is taking this many chapters, no wonder it got bumped to the next book.

And Brown Ben proclaims that they have been Queen’s Men all along! Joining the Yunkai was merely a clever ploy. Tyrion isn’t fooled by this, but is happy with the development.

Hahahaha! I love Brown Ben. This is what Tyrion wanted, though.

We have 4 battles confirmed for TWOW: The Taking of Storm's End by [F]Aegon, The Battle of Meeren, The Battle of Winterfell, and Cersei's Trial by Combat. Others that will probably occur [in my opinion]: A battle between the Iron Islands and the Reach [probably will result in Euron taking Highgarden or Oldtown], A Battle between the Reach and Aegon's forces [i believe in Arianne I it states that a Tyrell army is marching on Storm's End from King's Landing], Mutiny of sort during the fallout of Jon's assassination at the Wall, Aeron's raising the people in revolt against Euron [maybe a stand-in for real-life peasant revolts?], and the capture of Riverrun by the BwB [Tom being there, "no man will take my castle"=Witch-King "no man can kill me" yet ends up killed by a woman, which is the gender of the BwB's leader, Lady Stoneheart].

The capture of Riverrun might be less a "battle" and more a straight-up massacre if the Red Wedding 2.0 speculation is correct, but point taken. It's looking as if TWOW won't be short on incident, that's for sure.

As for the Reach, GRRM has said that Highgarden will feature in an upcoming POV, which probably means that something crazy happens there.

It's hard to tell from the summary, but I sort of thought Tyrion would have more of a reaction to seeing real live dragons flying around, especially considering his boyhood attachment to them. (Sure, he was aware of there being dragons, but I would have thought seeing them for himself would provoke some sort of deeper emotional reaction in him.)

When your in the middle of a battle you probably want to think more about not becoming fried barbecue and less about how amazing the sight [of dragons] is. Also, I forgot to include the Others [finally!] attacking the realms of men in my summary of battles in TWOW. My bad.

I knew it!!

Is Jhaquo coming?

That's the thing I wonder about and expect to happen.

I seriously doubt Dany will return for the battle, for a number of reasons:

• In Tyrion and Barristan's chapters they speculate about her returning to crush the Yunkai'i, which seems like a deliberate red herring by GRRM. After all, Dany has been missing for weeks by this point; there's no reason to expect her to return just at the right time.
  • It would diminish Victarion's arrival.
  • What's the point of getting Dany out of Meereen if she comes back just in time to save it?
  • The Lands of Ice and Fire character journey map shows Dany is facing Vaes Dothrak (for point of comparison, Victarion is shown to be facing Meereen).

Am I the only one who thinks that with a better editing GRRM could've included this in aDwD? :bang:

I can think of more than a couple of chapters that could've been cleanly removed or trimmed to make room for this battle

Anyway, thanks, Joseph Nobles :cheers:

No, you're not the only one but there's no use to crying over spilled milk, so far TWOW seems to be as fast paced as ASOS, and that's good enough for me

I seriously doubt Dany will return for the battle, for a number of reasons:

• In Tyrion and Barristan's chapters they speculate about her returning to crush the Yunkai'i, which seems like a deliberate red herring by GRRM. After all, Dany has been missing for weeks by this point; there's no reason to expect her to return just at the right time.
  • It would diminish Victarion's arrival.
  • What's the point of getting Dany out of Meereen if she comes back just in time to save it?
  • The Lands of Ice and Fire character journey map shows Dany is facing Vaes Dothrak (for point of comparison, Victarion is shown to be facing Meereen).

:agree: yeah, I really doubt Dany will be back for the battle, it will all be over by the time she shows up again

Archived