Small questions v.10013

Angalin

Why doesn't Tywin ask Cersei about the incest?Did he know about it too as Tyrion?

He always brings Tysha and the whores up to Tyrion, I find it strange he never talks about it.

First, Tywin doesn't strike me as the type that would "ask" Cersei anything. At best, he'd simply tell her he knows at a point where it would be advantageous for him.

More importantly, though, is his desire to see House Lannister rule. Cersei is fulfilling that role, first through Robert and then through Joffrey. Even though he thought she was doing a bad job, he still finds his own house in a position of supreme power. No reason to jeopardize that by even acknowledging the one thing that would lead to the downfall of that power

The question was did Tywin know about the incest? I seem to remember Jaime and Cersei had been caught when they were younger and were put in rooms far away from each other? So he'd known even then.

Joanna was the one who caught them and separated them, it doesn't say anywhere if she told Tywin about it. I'm sure Tywin must have thought about it, but I think he refused to believe it outright for the purity and reputation of his house.

It is said that Tywin quit as Hand when Aerys refused to wed Rhaegar to Cersei and then took Jaime into the Kingsguard. I'm confident this is true. It is certainly widely stated as a fact. Where, however, is it stated in the text?

I want to say it's in Jaime's chapters, when he reflects back on when he joined the Kingsguard and why.

It is said that Tywin quit as Hand when Aerys refused to wed Rhaegar to Cersei and then took Jaime into the Kingsguard. I'm confident this is true. It is certainly widely stated as a fact. Where, however, is it stated in the text?

Selmy talked about it, and Jaime.

The question was did Tywin know about the incest? I seem to remember Jaime and Cersei had been caught when they were younger and were put in rooms far away from each other? So he'd known even then.

His wife did that while he was hand and he was at the rock. Though Pycell, Tyrion and Kevan all seemed to know so I can't imagine Tywin didn't.

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this. But how did Tyrion find out that Joffrey was behind the attempt on Bran's life? Was it only because of the "I'm no stranger to VS" or was there something else?

It is the right place. Tyrion obviously knew he wasn't the one who tried to kill Bran though he had been framed for it. During Joff's wedding breakfast he is given the valyrian steel sword Widows wail. Well like the maniac that he is Joff starts swinging it around and acting the fool. When one of the knights tells him to be careful because it is Valyrian steel Joff responds with, "I am no stranger to valyrian steel." Tyrion makes finds this qeer and bates Joff to continue speaking and Joff does. Joff basically gave it away.

It is the right place. Tyrion obviously knew he wasn't the one who tried to kill Bran though he had been framed for it. During Joff's wedding breakfast he is given the valyrian steel sword Widows wail. Well like the maniac that he is Joff starts swinging it around and acting the fool. When one of the knights tells him to be careful because it is Valyrian steel Joff responds with, "I am no stranger to valyrian steel." Tyrion makes finds this qeer and bates Joff to continue speaking and Joff does. Joff basically gave it away.

Tyrion was staring at his nephew with his mismatched eyes. “Perhaps a knife, sire. To match your sword. A dagger of the same fine Valyrian steel... with a dragonbone hilt, say?”

Joff gave him a sharp look. “You... yes, a dagger to match my sword, good.” He nodded. “A... a gold hilt with rubies in it. Dragonbone is too plain.”

Just adding the quote. :)

Are Ravens and Crows words that describe the same bird in ASOIAF?

I don't think so, Bran's tower is full of crows and Maester Luwin's is full of ravens. Since Bran sees them as different then they probably are different. However the show seems to have changed some of the crows to ravens. And Maester Aemon comments to Jon that there is a difference:
“The crow is the raven’s poor cousin. They are both beggars in black, hated and misunderstood.”

I don't know that it's ever explicitly stated that he knew, but I'd be shocked if he didn't. He was awfully savvy.

I mean, as much as you can KNOW the true parentage of a child in those times.

I don't know that it's ever explicitly stated that he knew, but I'd be shocked if he didn't. He was awfully savvy.

I mean, as much as you can KNOW the true parentage of a child in those times.

As they say, denial ain't just a river in egypt.

Archived