Small questions v.10013

Angalin

I think he only says the wolf smelled like summer. He never said it was called summer

Nah, he knew the name. This was discussed heee a while back. IMO the best theory was regular communication "offscreen" between WF and CB allowed for Jon to learn this.

I just remember that when Jon left for the NW, Bran was still in coma and Bran has not named his direwolf yet. How did Jon learn that Summer was the name given by Bran to his direwolf?

Jon gets a letter from Robb when Bran wakes up. From his POV, all we see him read is that Bran woke up, and after that he starts like cheering and shit but he doesn't read the rest of the letter in the chapter. there's no reason not to assume that somewhere in the letter Robb mentioned the name of the wolf.

Whats wrong with Sansa Stark why does she think Sandor kissed her?

GRRM just says she's an unreliable narrator. might have signifigance might not. could just be that she wanted him to kiss her and then she misremembered the event.

Merely a hypothetical and probably a stupid one at that. But say Gregor had died right after he killed Oberyn in the trial. What would the outcome be? Would they do another one?

I'm guessing here but I would think it would still be guilty, unless Gregor dies first.

Why did Maegor gain the throne over Aenys' son? Was it just because of the faith uprising or something else?

We don't know yet. It's possible it was a power grab on the part of Maegor and Visenya, or they just felt they needed a strong hand to rule because of the rebellions and not a child king. If you haven't read the report yet Martin did a reading recently about Aenys and Maegor, but sadly it stops before Maegor takes the throne.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/83614-bubonicon-45/#entry4879997

I just remember that when Jon left for the NW, Bran was still in coma and Bran has not named his direwolf yet. How did Jon learn that Summer was the name given by Bran to his direwolf?

The same way that he knew that Shaggy Dog was on Skagos, chasing unicorns. There are a few times that Jon seems only able to know what he knows thru Ghost. All of the wolves, seem to know where the others are at, even over vast distances. It is either from wargging Ghost, or from the wolf dreams.

Is Melisandre evil?

It's too subtle for me.

(in all serious though is she? I can't figure her motives out. She's a religious fanatic but then she has powers and stuff)

Not really a small question, but I don't think of her as evil. She seems to think what she's doing is important and might save the world. I think Martin tries to make his characters more complex then being just good or evil. I mean really we don't even know if it's fair to call the Others evil.

Is Melisandre evil?

It's too subtle for me.

(in all serious though is she? I can't figure her motives out. She's a religious fanatic but then she has powers and stuff)

No. I mean her actions may be, but she's more like a well intentioned extremist. To be evil, to me at least, is being immoral and harmful for the sake of it. She's only harmful because she thinks it will save the world.

A good example of her not being evil is her not wanting to burn Davos, even though he wanted to kill her.

Does this SSM strongly suggest that the Golden Company does not have Blackfyre?

Q: Did the Targaryens own a family sword made of Valyrian steel, like Ice or Brightroar or Longclaw?

A: Several.

Q: And if yes, what was it named and what happened to it - Rhaegar had it on the Trident, maybe?

A: The most famous of them was named Blackfyre. It was long lost by Rhaegar's day, however.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Category/C91/P105/

I know many people assume Maelys wielded it in the war of the Ninepenny Kings (probably from the unsourced claim in the wiki that I just finally removed.) and that the Golden Company retrieved it after the battle. To me, that quote above makes it sound like the sword is lost lost, like Brightroar lost not just lost to the Targaryens.

Maybe they're part Squisher? Those things the Nimble Dick tells Pod and Brienne about. I didn't see anything on the SSMs but I could swear they've been discussed on here somewhere.

There has actually been a GRRM interview where he made some explanation of...I cant remember if it was Squishers or the Three Sisters folk. I'll try and track it down for you

around 10.30

Does this SSM strongly suggest that the Golden Company does not have Blackfyre?

Q: Did the Targaryens own a family sword made of Valyrian steel, like Ice or Brightroar or Longclaw?

A: Several.

Q: And if yes, what was it named and what happened to it - Rhaegar had it on the Trident, maybe?

A: The most famous of them was named Blackfyre. It was long lost by Rhaegar's day, however.

http://www.westeros....egory/C91/P105/

I know many people assume Maelys wielded it in the war of the Ninepenny Kings (probably from the unsourced claim in the wiki that I just finally removed.) and that the Golden Company retrieved it after the battle. To me, that quote above makes it sound like the sword is lost lost, like Brightroar lost not just lost to the Targaryens.

Being lost to the Targs doesn't exclude being with the GC.

Being lost to the Targs doesn't exclude being with the GC.

But he doesn't say it was lost to the Targaryens, he says it was lost. I realize it's ambiguous that's why I'm asking for opinions. It just seems odd to me that he didn't bring up Aegon IV giving it to Daemon or anything, he just says the sword is "long lost."

Interesting. My guess is that it was lost to the Targs,, now in possession of the GC.. Martin was being vague to not give anything away.

Also interesting..."several" VS swords? I can only think of two. Blackfyre and Dark Sister. Several is more than two. Wonder if we'll see or hear about others...or I just forgot a couple

Don't know if this can even be answered, but was Dragonstone named before or after the Targaryen's settled the island? If the name of the island was Dragonstone before, I could see it as a place of more significance than if it had been named after the Targs relocated.

I'm pretty sure it was named after the Targs settled, but I'm just wondering if it 100% fact.

Thanks

Don't know if this can even be answered, but was Dragonstone named before or after the Targaryen's settled the island? If the name of the island was Dragonstone before, I could see it as a place of more significance than if it had been named after the Targs relocated.

I'm pretty sure it was named after the Targs settled, but I'm just wondering if it 100% fact.

Thanks

After they made the fortress there. The fortress was made with Valyrian sorcerey in the shape of a dragon, perhaps by cutting rocks. The fortress was afterwards named Dragonstone.

But he doesn't say it was lost to the Targaryens, he says it was lost. I realize it's ambiguous that's why I'm asking for opinions. It just seems odd to me that he didn't bring up Aegon IV giving it to Daemon or anything, he just says the sword is "long lost."

The original line of questioning began by asking if the Targaryens owned a Valyrian Steel sword. GRRM's responses thereafter is in reference to House Targaryen. So by Rhaegar's day house Targaryen no longer possessed either Blackfyre or Darksister. I'm not certain as to whether Maelys wielded Blackfyre during the War of the Ninepenny Kings, however, I do believe that Blackfyre is in the possession of the GC.

Archived