Small questions v.10013

Angalin

He had already finished him - he had stuck him with his poisoned spear a few times. So, the Mountain was dying. He just managed to kill Oberyn before he did.

Mountain died days later didn't he ?

I mean when Oberyn put his foot on The Mountain's chest , was he going to finish him ? or was he still going to get a confession out of him ?

Mountain died days later didn't he ?

I mean when Oberyn put his foot on The Mountain's chest , was he going to finish him ? or was he still going to get a confession out of him ?

That's an interesting question. My guess would be that he would've demanded a confession in order to give him a quick death.

Edit: Or he would've let him die an agonizing, slow death and just leave Tyrion in some sort of legal limbo.

She was having her moon blood plus she had eaten some berries that turned her bowels to water.

Then on the next page:

There was no blood from the back, only the front.

My reading of all this is that the poisonous berries simultaneously made her sick (turning her bowels to water) and aborted a pregnancy. Her relief is at discovering that it's not the deadly disease afflicting the camps around Mereen. Her confusion over the dating of her last cycle, IMO, is clearly meant to indicate to the reader that she is indeed fertile and has just suffered a miscarriage.

Chelsted wasn't fired. He quit. Then he was fried. He quit before the Trident. There's also a big difference between Robert's Hand-less months and Aerys quick Hand replacements. For one, Aerys was in the middle of a war while Robert was experiencing a lovely peace and had the luxury of going on a cross-country journey to ask his friend to become his hand. For another, the man who replaced Chelsted - Rossart - was already there in King's Landing. Likely the one who performed the burning of Chelsted.

I'd like to add to this that Jaime's POVs in Storm and Feast indicate that the resignation and "firing" of Chelsted, appointment of Rossart and rape of Rhaella all happened on the same day.

That's interesting, I always assumed Joanna wanted the name Tyrion. Any ideas as to why Tywin would honour the dwarf with the traditional Lannister name?

I guess Tywin was the traditionalist of those two anyways, so he was the one preferring the Ty- names in the first place. "Jaime" and "Cersei" on the other hand sound rather fanciful and unique, not what I imagine Tywin would bestow had he made that decision on his own.

I guess Tywin was the traditionalist of those two anyways, so he was the one preferring the Ty- names in the first place. "Jaime" and "Cersei" on the other hand sound rather fanciful and unique, not what I imagine Tywin would bestow had he made that decision on his own.

Ah, good point, Joanna was a Lannister too of course, but I agree it's unlikely Tywin would have chosen a non traditional name for his glorious first born. I'd love to learn more about Joanna.

It couldn't have been too long after, because from what I remember it's implied that she still has the marks from whatever Aerys did to her during the marital rape.

ETA: OK I think I have it narrowed down somewhat more. Chelsted was burned alive in wildfire and replaced with Rossart, who served for about two weeks and was the last Hand of the King. He's the one Jaime killed. Assuming that Rossart was appointed immediately after Chelsted was burned — which makes the most sense, they wouldn't leave the office vacant — then Dany's conception would have only been two weeks before the night of the Sack. So yes, she would have been born nine months, give or take a few days, after it.

Ah, good point.

That's a good estimate, but you assume two things:

1. Chelsted was burned immediately after being fired. (no pun intended.)

2. Rossart was appointed at the same moment.

It's not unheard of for the office of the Hand to remain vacant for some time. Robert was Hand-less for months between Jon's death and Ned's acceptance of the post. On the other hand, you have Aerys' fear and jealousy of Tywin. He was mistrustful of his best Hand, so why be in a hurry to appoint another one?

I think the best thing would be to remember what Chelsted was fired for. Was it the loss at the Trident?

1. Since the conception and marital rape stem from the night he was burned, when he resigned is sort of irrelevant. But it looks like there wasn't any lag between the two. He tendered his resignation, Aerys refused, burn. But even if he resigned and was burned later, it doesn't matter; Dany's birth and conception are dating to the burning, not the resignation.

2. Since Aerys was at war and Rossart was already in the capital and already one of his favorites, the common sense conclusion is that Rossart was appointed immediately after Chelsted was executed.

Chelsted was burned for not going along with the plot to burn down King's Landing. Had nothing to do with the Trident.

Is Baratheon technically the ruling house in Westeros and is Stannis being seen as fighting a war against his own blood?

By the Smallfolk and the unaware yes.

But most of the High Lords know about Tommen and Myrcella being Jaimes and Cersei's Kids by now.

That's interesting, I always assumed Joanna wanted the name Tyrion. Any ideas as to why Tywin would honour the dwarf with the traditional Lannister name?

Tywin and Joanna might have chosen a name (or names, male and female, or one with m/f variants) before the birth started or before she passed away. But in reality, we don't know other than the SSM mentioned.

Archived