Would Varys support Jon Snow?

Berkilak

Refer to title. I would very much like to see how Varys would react to this revelation, particularly if Jon proves to be trueborn and his Aegon is actually a fabrication. Might he switch over to the more-legitimate side, no longer favouring his own previous plans, years in coming to fruition?

No. His plan is in place. It's his plan, his baby(not that kind of baby) and he has molded it the way he wanted. Despite Varys saying he cares about the Kingdom and wants peace; he is still a power hungry person. There is no way, he will endorse something he can't have control over.

I would very much like to see how Varys would react to this revelation, particularly if Jon proves to be trueborn and his Aegon is actually a fabrication.

Varys was Master of Whispers under King Aerys. If Jon Snow was the trueborn son of Rhaegar, Varys would almost certainly already know it.

No. Varys doesn't care for a Targaryen restoration, he wants a Blackfyre.

I don't buy that theory. When I reread aGoT I realised that Illyrio follows the Lord of Light, I believe that so is Varys, and they're intersted in the Targaryen restoration because they believe Rhaegar's son is the prince that was promised and/or Azor Ahai reborn. But maybe they're looking at the wrong son and they will support Jon if they ever discover that he is the one.

Varys was Master of Whispers under King Aerys. If Jon Snow was the trueborn son of Rhaegar, Varys would almost certainly already know it.

There is one person left alive that would have known if Jon was Rhaegar's true born son: Howland Reed. I doubt Varys has any little Crannogmen birds. When you consider how small the circle of people was that knew what was going on, it's not hard to fathom Varys didn't know.

I don't buy that theory. When I reread aGoT I realised that Illyrio follows the Lord of Light, I believe that so is Varys, and they're intersted in the Targaryen restoration because they believe Rhaegar's son is the prince that was promised and/or Azor Ahai reborn. But maybe they're looking at the wrong son and they will support Jon if they ever discover that he is the one.

Why do you presume Illyrio to follow R'hllor? Because there was a Red Priest? That's no clue, that's just a proof that Illyrio doesn't openly works aganst them. He seems to be rather atheistic, or maybe secular, by the way.

No unless his current plan involves supporting Jon(which would be out of nowhere) then he will see Jon as a threat and try to get rid of him

Maybe he will hire a FM to kill the Commander of the Night's Watch and it turns out to be Arya :fencing: . It would be her first test, and her last. She'd never do it. Or would she? :uhoh:

IMHO, no, Varys would not support Jon.

1. I think that Varys knows 'R+L=J' through a letter Ned Stark gave him to send to Jon before his execution (cf. aGoT), but Varys kept it, as he said he would if he deemed it not serving his own game - the fact that both the show and the novel spend a whole chapter /scene on their meeting in KL dungeons is my sole clue though...

2. ...I also think that Varys is actually the one behind Jon's assassination: it seems to coincide with Aegon's landing in the South and Varys own revealing move of killing Kevan.

Archived