Planetos or GRRth or ...?

Lord Puff Fish

But officially GRRMarillion is pronounced "grimarillion", so GRR = "gri" not "gir". There's no way around creator decisions.

Martin coined the word "GRRMarillion". He can decide how it's pronounced. The person who coined the term Gearth, gets to decide how it's spelled and pronounced. That's how it works with made up words for a made up planet.

Your love of the halflings' leaf has clearly slowed your mind. None can stand against the might of Planetos.

How can you even type that sentence without laughing uncontrollably? Planetos sounds like some shit out of Battlefield Earth.

Unlike GRRTH which is a respectable name deserving of the love it now receives as the official name for the planet westeros inhabits.

Don't fight progress or you will be viewed as a radical.

SOLVED.

Varys, A Game of Thrones, Eddard XIV

There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man
That settles it for me as far as what the planet is named in-story. As for the fandom, GRRTH or Planetos are equally fine to me.

SOLVED.

Varys, A Game of Thrones, Eddard XIV

That settles it for me as far as what the planet is named in-story. As for the fandom, GRRTH or Planetos are equally fine to me.

If Varys had said there is no creature on the planet half so terrifying, would you say the name of the planet is Planet?

If Varys had said there is no creature on the planet half so terrifying, would you say the name of the planet is Planet?

He didn't so that's not even worth discussing. Varys says "on earth" in an idiomatic phrase about the whole world that most are familiar with. I don't see how it gets more clearer than that.

What is it like being wrong all the time?

It's GRRTH people, anything else is just stupid.

GRRTH!

IDK, can you tell us?

GRRTH is the most horrible creation of mad linguistic science to ever see the light of the day. Qyburn would shiver at the mere rumor of it.

Planetos is easy to understand and easy to remember. It is not official name, it is supposed to be cheesy. If you want a serious name, call it however you want, but don't be surprised when people will be like "what is ...?". And for sake of all good people of "that world"... nobody's homeworld deserves to be called bunch of capitals. For the love you bear your favorite chars, use a noun

We must have gotten really bored of secret Targs and un-people if we have five pages arguing over Planetos and GRRTH.

Let's just call it after the coolest character. The planet is now called Dark Star.

:cool:

This all originated when someone made a thread questioning if planetos/GRRTH was really round. So yes, we need TWOW kind of soon or things will just get worse.

Archived