Community: Apparently, We Like Dan Harmon Anyway

Datepalm

Which one is that?

The one where they try to tie in all the stories. I think it just felt too forced, bringing explanations for everything down to "Pop Pop!".

The finale had more problems though I liked the whole dream sequence. Just didn't work as a series finale.

The one where they try to tie in all the stories. I think it just felt too forced, bringing explanations for everything down to "Pop Pop!".

I just watched that yesterday - it's not that bad, I think (better than the finale or most S4 eps) but it is a little too neat and very, very schmaltzy in places, while also being very dark in places and also being very self-consciously look-this-is-a-dark-and-meaningful-character-moment in other places. Abed's father just despairing of him or Annie breaking down is dark in a completely different way than Jeff pointificating about what a bad person he is.

Abed's father just despairing of him or Annie breaking down is dark in a completely different way than Jeff pointificating about what a bad person he is.

I think these scenes would've worked better when they weren't part of some mystical destiny, and if they weren't flashbacks to things we knew were resolved. I always figured Community was partly accepting that random bad shit happens without purpose or justice and going from there.

I mean there is a dream like aspect to a 4-5 year community college - and why Annie at least didn't transfer out after getting her Associates - but trying to make the cast meet due to meaningful Jungian synchronicity was too much.

eta:

On the flip, one of my faves is Origins of Vampire Mythology, but that doesn't get that much attention from fans in comparison to the episodes above I mentioned.

I love Origins of Vampire Mythology. Was great to see Tory-Annie-Abed as roommates, the Dean chilling with the cast, Shirley and Jeff hanging out, and Britta being ridiculous but not really an airhead.

I think these scenes would've worked better when they weren't part of some mystical destiny, and if they weren't flashbacks to things we knew were resolved. I always figured Community was partly accepting that random bad shit happens without purpose or justice and going from there.

Eh, I dunno. The synchronicity was over the top, certainly - I kind of choose to take it more as Abed playing head games and it being nothing more than the fairly normal coincidence of a small town, if it ever happened at all and not just Abed flat out fabricating memories - but it is a show that tends to turn every lemon into lemonade for the characters.

I love Origins of Vampire Mythology. Was great to see Tory-Annie-Abed as roommates, the Dean chilling with the cast, Shirley and Jeff hanging out, and Britta being ridiculous but not really an airhead.

Is that the one with her ex-boyfriend who she has totally inexplicable hots for? That was a good one. I completely missed that it was Troy having a thing for Britta first time round though.

but it is a show that tends to turn every lemon into lemonade for the characters.

Hmmmm...maybe it's my Moorcockian, D&D roots that make me feel like there's a big difference between lemons of Randomness and lemons of Destiny.

I think I see what you mean. I do find the slide out to Un!Greendale kind of weird. You're right, the college is this surreal, magical bubble of a place where the normal rules don't apply and anything can happen, including unlikely friendships and grand redemption arcs. Having something of significance happen for the group in pre-Greendale time and non-Greendale space - and at the mall! A mall! Oh, the humanity! - is just wrong, and somehow feels less real than if they'd had a nice bonding moment in the study room.

Sorry if this is off topic. I haven't had cable in years and just recently got it. I noticed the premiere is tonight and have heard good things about the show. So my question is can I jump right in, or would it not be as enjoyable compared to starting from season 1?

Was this link posted yet?

Seems like Jeff Winger channeled himself into Joel McHale's body and rallied the cast to get Dan Harmon hired back.

I am entertained by the behind-the-scenes stuff on a melodrama level, but also annoyed that being more aware of Community (fairly or not) as this irreplaceable-eccentric-manchild-auteur-geek driven creation is entering into my meta considerations of its place in the spectrum of nerd-centric comedy, which is unfair. Why can't all authors be properly dead, eh?

Sorry if this is off topic. I haven't had cable in years and just recently got it. I noticed the premiere is tonight and have heard good things about the show. So my question is can I jump right in, or would it not be as enjoyable compared to starting from season 1?

Probably worth waiting and starting at season 1, since there's a lot of the humor is rooted in character detail and history, running gags and especially general worldbuilding. OTOH, Community is pretty rewatchable. Catch the episode tonight, go back to Season 1 if you liked it, and get more out of this episode when you watch it again having seen all the rest. I don't think there's any actual plot elements (will they or won't they or that kind of thing) that this is likely to spoil.

Was this link posted yet?

Seems like Jeff Winger channeled himself into Joel McHale's body and rallied the cast to get Dan Harmon hired back.

Also confirms that Harmon is kind of an asshole to work with.

Him and Bakker should have an "Own Worst Enemies" summit.

Start from Season 1!!!!!!!!!!

Archived