Community: Apparently, We Like Dan Harmon Anyway

Datepalm

Yeah. I'm not saying that abeds reaction isn't appropriate. I'm just saying it wasn't an interesting question.

Nic Cage? Isn't the point that he's fixating on something essentially uninteresting? I've never even heard of Who's Boss, but that episode still worked fine for me. :dunno:

Nic Cage? Isn't the point that he's fixating on something essentially uninteresting? I've never even heard of Who's Boss, but that episode still worked fine for me. :dunno:

i dont think so. the cage debate is something that has probably been discussed millions of times by various people. the whos the boss thing was so funny because it was overly esoteric. spending time answering a question that essentially noone cared about and only could be thought of as a question because its the title of the show. its so out there.

cage on the other hand is so prosaic.

I see. Ok. They were both kind of out there for me, so I guess I missed that.

Maybe, Who's Boss is an esoteric intellectual exercise for Abed, while Nic Cage is the huge, burning issue of the day. Who's Boss is that thing with the bees disappearing. Nic Cage is climate change.

I see. Ok. They were both kind of out there for me, so I guess I missed that.

Maybe, Who's Boss is an esoteric intellectual exercise for Abed, while Nic Cage is the huge, burning issue of the day. Who's Boss is that thing with the bees disappearing. Nic Cage is climate change.

yes, thats a close enough analogy.

i mean, i wouldnt say that cage is the burning issue, but his strange performances are something that many jokes have been made about

whos the boss, not so much, but to an american audience it hit that perfect zone of recognizable but ultimately insignificant

I'm not saying I didn't like Con Air. I just don't watch that many movies.

Also, if i've finally written part 1 of my epic Big Bang/Community comparison/deconstruction (titled, I kid thee not, Chuck Lorre is a Communist,) where do I post it for maximum argumentativeness? (I was inspired by the writerly turn the board has taken with now producing our very own Loch Ness Monster Erotica over at lit.) I've started work on part 2, tentatively Ender's Community War School

Just point us in the write direction once you post it.

yes, thats a close enough analogy.

i mean, i wouldnt say that cage is the burning issue, but his strange performances are something that many jokes have been made about

whos the boss, not so much, but to an american audience it hit that perfect zone of recognizable but ultimately insignificant

Ah, I see. I meant in the sense that it would but Abed's somewhat fragile psyche, not that it's familiar and predictable on an audience-level.

Just point us in the write direction once you post it.

Can't figure out where. Where does one go if one wants to start an argument with a lot of geeks? It seems like we should have a centralized mailbox or something.

So I finally got around to watching these, and I was impressed that the show felt like Community again. That said, they weren't amazing episodes. The first one, in particular, was pretty weak. The second one had two bits that made me laugh out loud, even on a rewatch: the scene with Buzz Hickey (Jonathan Banks is really killing it. His performance is so far above where, say, Michael K. Williams was with his ornery professor) taking Leonard's meatballs (Leonard's response "please... they're all I have" - killed me) and then Abed's Nicholas Cage freakout. And that really surprised me because Abed is often my least favorite character, but Dani Pudi just killed that scene. Plus, it was nice to see "Professor Professorson" - aka, Professor Sean Garrity again, because he's awesome, although he didn't really have much to do.

I am officially excited for the rest of the season.

Btw - did Joel McHale have a facelift or something? His face just looks a little different to me. It's like his jaw got more square or something. It's driving me to distraction and I can't figure it out.

I think he looks about the same, aside from his unnaturally bare face.

As for the Nic Cage thing, it was a marvellous device on which to set Abed. I suppose it's "been done" since anyone who gets it has seen and/or heard "Not the bees!!" but Abed being one seeming to prefer Platonian truths even when it comes to pop culture made it work perfectly.

What IS the "sexy cat" thing from anyway??

What about "Put the bunny down"???

I just did another power watch of all 4+ seasons and have to say Community rocks!

Even season 4 was great.

BTW IIRC there was a throw away line in season 1 that Abed had never seen Who's the Boss

I just did another power watch of all 4+ seasons and have to say Community rocks!

Even season 4 was great.

BTW IIRC there was a throw away line in season 1 that Abed had never seen Who's the Boss

Yeah, I've been going back to S1 and I recall that line in one of the eps. Season 4 was decent by general TV standards...though general TV includes 2 Broke Girls so that isn't saying much.

=-=-=

Community's Dan Harmon explains surprise premiere cameo

"I knew Chevy would be on board becauseā€¦ at the end of it all he always loved doing the show and would be more than willing to come back," Harmon said.

"He's very passionate about making people laugh. So I texted him, and he said, 'Absolutely, I'll do it."

seems crazy given Chase appeared to be a large part of the reason Harmon was fired in season 4. Hollywood/TV is a strange beast.

Also given how good the show is at being meta I have to wonder if the reason he isn't allowed to film on stage with the regular crew is due to him having upset one of the actors/crew? I know there was the trouble with him saying something racist/using an offensive term last year (forgotten the specifics). then again it could just be that Chase is refusing to film too far from home.

My understanding is Harmon was fired for going over budget, showing up to work late and sometimes hungover, threatening to quit multiple times, and making the writers revise at the last minute and work long hours.

Supposedly the writers said they would all quit if Harmon stayed on.

I know there was the trouble with him saying something racist/using an offensive term last year (forgotten the specifics). then again it could just be that Chase is refusing to film too far from home.

What's weird about this story is that, IIRC, Chase was objecting to Pierce being more and more racist, at which point he said something like "Next you'll have me saying n*gger!"

I always loved it when Pierce was part of the group instead of the outsider, I guess part of that was that was his part in the group, but still my favorite stuff was when he helped Annie with her bills, not apologized to Shirley for the depantsing, that sort of stuff

plus it really hit me how close he and troy were from day one the 2 were always on the same page about stuff

plus loved his classic chevy stuff like trying to eat a slice of pizza and breaking the froyo machine

Archived