Comics IX - Cheerleader Number Nine

Sci-2

Really? I just went ahead and discounted it as a mini-series masked as an ongoing. I'll give it to the end of it's initial arc before it's derailed by whatever event Bendis is planning. By the looks of the new film Magneto is a reluctant hero (in that he has to prevent the future happening) so we'll at least have friendly Magneto in the comics for a while. Speaking of, Magneto must have been on the side of Angels for almost a decade now? Wasn't it shortly after the decimation event?

Magneto is definitely not the friendly version in his solo book so far. It's the classic don't fuck with me or my people Magneto. The first 2 issues are great, especially #2.

Magneto is shaping up to be one of Marvel's best books, which is a surprise considering Bunn's previous work.

I agree, and say the same about Moon Knight, that had one of the best layouts I've seen in mainstream comics.

Though, on Magneto, I still wish they would let go of Baldneto for good...

Speaking of, Magneto must have been on the side of Angels for almost a decade now? Wasn't it shortly after the decimation event?

That's a bit of an overstatement. Side of the Angels? He was part of Cyclops' Kooky Squad (yeah, forgot the official name lol), then the new terrorist group. Maybe you could call his latest time as an X-Man as being on the side of the angels only during that time after he regained his powers until before the Schism. And maybe before that, in those Excalibur issues before House of M where he did nothing but be generally depressed and moan about how right his children were to hate him to Xavier.

And, on Inhuman, I was pleasantly surprised by it. I'm generally not a Joe Mad fan, but I really liked his art here. And the story so far isn't heavy on the X-Men parallel; there's nothing on that, really. Their comparing it to Game of Thrones turned out to be accurate, as it seems to be about different Inhumans taking the Terrigen Bomb as an opportunity to gather allies and influence. And I liked the new characters we've been introduced to, though Soule's Medusa sounded a bit off.

Fraction and Soule are such major hit-and-miss writers, yet they both wrote recent books I absolutely adore (FF and She-Hulk), so I wasn't that affected by this change. If I was inclined to conspiracy theories, though, I'd say there's something odd going on at Marvel lately - first, this thing with Fraction (leaving FF and F4 to focus on Inhuman, only to abandon the project later), then Aaron leaving the title that was supposed to have him around for more than these five issues (Amazing X-Men). :dunno:

And I still haven't found the time to read the latest She-Hulk, Black Science and Pretty Deadly. :frown5:

Not really a comic reader but got recommended Saga and have read the first 3 volumes. Great stuff. Really love it.

My favorite title at the moment. I especially love Fiona Staples art. I got a print of Lying Cat a while back, it's absolutely beautiful.

Not really a comic reader but got recommended Saga and have read the first 3 volumes. Great stuff. Really love it.

Best thing on the stands at the moment. There's nothing quite like it and it's a great lure for non comic readers into the field. There's a lot of other great comics about but they are all "comicy". Saga is just some weird mix that works beautifully. Prophet is weird with great art but it doesn't have the odd contemporary feel of Saga. Hawkeye is hip and funny (and also slowly paced) but doesn't have the weird sci-fi. I reckon someone could read Saga and say what there favourite aspect is and there's another great book that focuses on that aspect but none with the same mix.

You may have a bit of a wait until volume 4 though. easily 6 months as the book seems to do an arc, followed by a 2 month hiatus. Hopefully a new issue is out this month as it feels like a while.

You may have a bit of a wait until volume 4 though. easily 6 months as the book seems to do an arc, followed by a 2 month hiatus. Hopefully a new issue is out this month as it feels like a while.

I'm used to having to wait on my favorite things :(

Best thing on the stands at the moment. There's nothing quite like it and it's a great lure for non comic readers into the field. There's a lot of other great comics about but they are all "comicy". Saga is just some weird mix that works beautifully. Prophet is weird with great art but it doesn't have the odd contemporary feel of Saga. Hawkeye is hip and funny (and also slowly paced) but doesn't have the weird sci-fi. I reckon someone could read Saga and say what there favourite aspect is and there's another great book that focuses on that aspect but none with the same mix.

Saga seems very... BD-ish for me. The wacky sci-fi, the characters dynamics... It's all like the better class of french stuff.

Saga seems very... BD-ish for me. The wacky sci-fi, the characters dynamics... It's all like the better class of french stuff.

That's probably very true. I'm not really familiar with european comics outside of Asterix but i could see how it may fit in better there. I can't think of anything similar coming from the US. Although it's probably at Dark horse or image if it is.

So yah, that Future's End thing DC is doing?

Are they kidding? Or just terribly in love with the 90's?

I do like that they are bringing Batman Beyond into their main comics but I have zero faith in this 5 years later thing. It seems DC editorial can plan 5 days ahead without making editorial changes so there's no way at all this glimpse 5 years into the future will stick. I almost hope that the story in itself has a reset in it as at least then it'll be resolved. How did DC handle the 1 million event in the 90s? I guess that was far enough ahead not to matter. My only exposure to DC trying this is "one year later" which on the whole was a complete mess.

Has anyone checked out "batman:Eternal" ?

It could be worse, it could be drawn by Jim Lee or Frank Quietly.

i know. it breaks my heart to know that they can just put out when they want to. i guess you can do that when you are the best.

i'm so woefully behind that i have discovered a loophole. you guys read all the shitty books, i come here and am forewarned. with as little time as i have these days, your hard work is commendable.

i'm working through superior foes, the manhattan projects and a reread of recent years of prophet. TMP i dug up on my own but i wouldn't have touched spiderman or anythingcreatedbyliefeldsuckitanddie with a diseased petri dish if i hadn't read it here first.

party on people!

So, Nightcrawler #1. It's not bad, it just feels very out of place among the other books Marvel is currently publishing. I mean, there are books just as fun and simple, but this one is almost innocent, in a way, which is kind of odd, since Kurt is supposed not to have a soul at the moment. But it's Claremont, and still more enjoyable than most X-books we have at the moment. Nauck's Nightcrawler looks cool, but his regular-looking mutants... not so much.

All-New X-Factor #6 was alright, but I'm really thankful this introduction is over; the previous volume managed it better.

And then there's All-New X-Men #25. Wtf, Bendis? I suppose Beast haters liked seeing him put on his place, but the whole dialogue ended up coming extremely hypocritical, considering who was talking to him. And the alternate futures/realities they showed just weren't creative. Why do I even bother reading Bendis anymore? I suppose some notions introduced here will be further explored in whatever the next X-event is? I haven't really read any comics news in a month, so I have no idea whether or not something of the kind was announced. So, the only good thing in this book is some of the art, like JG Jones' page, and Hank looked incredibly hot, and, considering he is an gorilla-looking guy covered in blue fur, that's making me extremely uncomfortable.

You say that like it's a bad thing, why? :eek:

So, Nightcrawler #1. It's not bad, it just feels very out of place among the other books Marvel is currently publishing. I mean, there are books just as fun and simple, but this one is almost innocent, in a way, which is kind of odd, since Kurt is supposed not to have a soul at the moment. But it's Claremont, and still more enjoyable than most X-books we have at the moment. Nauck's Nightcrawler looks cool, but his regular-looking mutants... not so much.

All-New X-Factor #6 was alright, but I'm really thankful this introduction is over; the previous volume managed it better.

And then there's All-New X-Men #25. Wtf, Bendis? I suppose Beast haters liked seeing him put on his place, but the whole dialogue ended up coming extremely hypocritical, considering who was talking to him. And the alternate futures/realities they showed just weren't creative. Why do I even bother reading Bendis anymore? I suppose some notions introduced here will be further explored in whatever the next X-event is? I haven't really read any comics news in a month, so I have no idea whether or not something of the kind was announced. So, the only good thing in this book is some of the art, like JG Jones' page, and Hank looked incredibly hot, and, considering he is an gorilla-looking guy covered in blue fur, that's making me extremely uncomfortable.

WTF, how could anyone hate Beast?

I kind of wonder that about a lot of you guys, :P It usually seems I'm the only one that doesnt hate him in this thread.

i know. it breaks my heart to know that they can just put out when they want to. i guess you can do that when you are the best.

i'm so woefully behind that i have discovered a loophole. you guys read all the shitty books, i come here and am forewarned. with as little time as i have these days, your hard work is commendable.

i'm working through superior foes, the manhattan projects and a reread of recent years of prophet. TMP i dug up on my own but i wouldn't have touched spiderman or anythingcreatedbyliefeldsuckitanddie with a diseased petri dish if i hadn't read it here first.

party on people!

We read the bad books so you don't have to. I agree this thread is great at highlighting books I wouldn't usually go anywhere near. It also helps me realise I'm not missing much on some of the ones I skip.

WTF, how could anyone hate Beast?

I kind of wonder that about a lot of you guys, :P It usually seems I'm the only one that doesnt hate him in this thread.

I really like Beast but he's been a sanctimonious prick ever since the Schism event occurred. I'll probably go back to liking him once they change that aspect of his character. I always saw him as the moral compass but he constantly tears everyone else a new one (especially cyclops) only to actually commit similar/worse crimes himself. I imagine Dark Beast is more likeable at this point.

Octarina's Nightcrawler review sounds 100% claremont. I'd rather have him writing his classic nightcrawler than someone souless or a preist.

It's not. I'm just saying I don't get the "This is unique and totally different" vibe that som people get. (it's well done though)

It's not. I'm just saying I don't get the "This is unique and totally different" vibe that som people get. (it's well done though)

Oh, alright, then. :cheers:

I've only read the first trade so far, but what I've observed, in general, is that when Americans say a book, film, comic book, whatever, is "unique and totally different", that really only means different from the other things produced in their country.

You'll have to suggest the books that you think are similar. I'll be glad to check them out unless you are saying it's the execution that makes Saga great.

I really haven't read a comic like it so far so so will stand by my assessment. I guess "community" has a format that lets it play around with anything but that's a TV show.

Archived