Who would declare for Dany's and/or Aegon's claim?

adiman83

Margaery probably isn't going to survive her trial in TWoW, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of House Tyrell allying with one of the Targaryens. But, if they do, I don't imagine the entire Reach will follow them; I can see the Reach being significantly divided in the upcoming war.

As for the Vale... it depends on who is in charge or has influence. Littlefinger is already aware of Dany but appears to know nothing about Aegon, so it wouldn't surprise me if he supported one of them. But if the Vale is being led by Sansa, surely Daenerys would be the more likely option? After all, supporting a woman in her quest for the throne would clearly have an advantage for Sansa.

But, really, the idea behind the Vale supporting Dany is simply to balance out the numbers. If Aegon is supported by Dorne and Dany has no support from Westeros, it won't be very convincing when she ultimately beats him (and if you don't think Aegon, a character introduced in the fifth book, is going to be beaten by one of the primary protagonists of the series, then I'm really lost for words).

But then it would be fairy tale esque. GRRM is not like that. He wouldn't write so cliched ending like that.

What fairy tales have you been reading, where teenage girls conquer medieval-inspired kingdoms with fire-breathing dragons?

And when did I say that would be the "ending"? I certainly think Dany will conquer Westeros in some form; someone has to end the constant civil war, after all, and Dany is the only POV character whose arc has been building to conquer Westeros. But that doesn't mean that will be the ending: after that, a weakened and divided Westeros has to face the Others.

It will be interesting to see which one of the two Targ factions will win the IT, if any of the two actually manages to get it. We CAN expect for both Dany and Aegon to lose in the end.

Should Tommen die, Tyrells might offer Margaery for Aegon. But then there is Arianne - and would Dorne support Aegon then?

For Daenerys it looks even worse; she is already married, (believed) barren and has three uncontrollable dragons. There is Victarion of course, but he is neither powerful nor bright. Her forces might be very small following Battle of Meereen.

Why not Margaery AND Arianne? The Targaryens did practice polygamy so it wouldn't be that unusual for Aegon to marry both of them! This way Aegon could get both Dorne and The Reach to support his claim. Not to mention the Tyrell wealth (almost as rich as the Lannisters) and army, which was quite extensive if memory serves. That would already be 2 very important kingdoms out of the 7.

As for the Vale... it depends on who is in charge or has influence. Littlefinger is already aware of Dany but appears to know nothing about Aegon, so it wouldn't surprise me if he supported one of them. But if the Vale is being led by Sansa, surely Daenerys would be the more likely option? After all, supporting a woman in her quest for the throne would clearly have an advantage for Sansa.

And should Davos find Rickon? Wouldn't it make sense for her to follow her brother, rather than some Targaryen girl?

Why not Margaery AND Arianne? The Targaryens did practice polygamy so it wouldn't be that unusual for Aegon to marry both of them! This way Aegon could get both Dorne and The Reach to support his claim. Not to mention the Tyrell wealth (almost as rich as the Lannisters) and army, which was quite extensive if memory serves. That would already be 2 very important kingdoms out of the 7.

Then the faith will oppose them.

quote?

Sansa POV, page 82, Storm of Swords. My version is the pocket version one, so I'm not sure it's the same as yours.

" The old woman understood something else as well. Her son was determined to make Margaery a queen, and for that he needed a king . . . but he did not need Joffrey. We shall have another wedding soon, wait and see. Margaery will marry Tommen. She’ll keep her queenly crown and her maidenhead, neither of which she especially wants"

They will go with whoever helps them with Ironborn. Considering Aegon is in Westeros, and Dany is strolling around grasslands in Essos - I think it is likely they will support Aegon. The Hightowers anyway.

I don't see Tarly turning on Tyrell. I think he will remain loyal to them.

Yeah, one of the biggest reason for why I think Hightower will turn on the Tyrells is because of the continued raids by the Ironborn. Probably seems to them that the Tyrells have abandoned the Reach for KL. I do think Tarly might turn as well, it's just something fishy with how he so easily dismisses Jon Connington and the GC..

It will be interesting to see which one of the two Targ factions will win the IT, if any of the two actually manages to get it. We CAN expect for both Dany and Aegon to lose in the end.

As far as I'm aware, polygamous marriages stopped with Aegon I so they likely gave that practice up so the rest of Westeros would be more likely to accept them.

Rhaegar and Lyanna may have been married (alongside Rhaegar and Elia) but that's debatable.

" The old woman understood something else as well. Her son was determined to make Margaery a queen, and for that he needed a king . . . but he did not need Joffrey. We shall have another wedding soon, wait and see. Margaery will marry Tommen. She’ll keep her queenly crown and her maidenhead, neither of which she especially wants"

no. That just means Mace wants his daughter to be a queen. It doesn't mean none of the rest of the family wants it except for his daughter

That's what that quote is saying.

And should Davos find Rickon? Wouldn't it make sense for her to follow her brother, rather than some Targaryen girl?

Yes, it would make sense... which is why I don't think it will happen. Or perhaps Sansa will ally with Dany so that she can become Rickon's regent and stop him being used as a pawn by Stannis and/or his bannermen.

It has been heavily foreshadowed that Sansa will have some role in the second dance of the dragons (each time the 'dance of the dragons' song is performed, it has been told in one of Sansa's chapters), and the fact that Dorne will probably support Aegon makes me believe that Sansa and the Vale will support Dany.

no. That just means Mace wants his daughter to be a queen. It doesn't mean none of the rest of the family wants it except for his daughter

That's what that quote is saying.

Arguing with the text now are we? Read the end of the quote again, "neither of which she especially wants".

Edit: You didn't ask about the rest of the family, you asked about Marg wanting to be queen or not.

When it comes to the Tyrells it all depend on when Tommen dies. As long as Tommen is alive they rule, if he dies it all comes crashing down on them. If Tommen dies early Winds, the Tyrells would be in the market for a new alliance.

Remember neither the Tyrells or Martells are truly Targaryen loyalists. They might back Aegon for their own interests. Doran and Oberyn wanted a alliance with Viserys or Daenerys in order to get their revenge on the Lannisters. This would still be Dorne's main interest, combined with Aegon being Elia's son (if they are convinced he's the real deal. I'm looking at you, Arianne) making him family.

The Tyrells are just interested in power. And if they are thrown out of King's Landing they also might have the "let's kill that bitch Cersei" motive. I can see Mace turn to Aegon if they lose their seat in the sun. Tyrells and Martells have fought on the same side before. That's nothing new. They hate each other, but that doesn't stop them from backing the same king.

no. That just means Mace wants his daughter to be a queen. It doesn't mean none of the rest of the family wants it exce;t for his daughter

True, and I don't think Olenna "makes it clear" either, but she does imply it

“They tried to marry me to a Targaryen once, but I soon put an end to that.” “Renly was brave and gentle, Grandmother,” said Margaery. “Father liked him as well, and so did Loras."

“It’s treason, I warned them, Robert has two sons, and Renly has an older brother, how can he possibly have any claim to that ugly iron chair? Tut-tut, says my son, don’t you want your sweetling to be queen? You Starks were kings once, the Arryns and the Lannisters as well, and even the Baratheons through the female line, but the Tyrells were no more than stewards until Aegon the Dragon came along and cooked the rightful King of the Reach on the Field of Fire. If truth be told, even our claim to Highgarden is a bit dodgy, just as those dreadful Florents are always whining. ‘What does it matter?’ you ask, and of course it doesn’t, except to oafs like my son. The thought that one day he may see his grandson with his arse on the Iron Throne makes Mace puff up like . . . now, what do you call it? Margaery, you’re clever, be a dear and tell your poor old half-daft grandmother the name of that queer fish from the Summer Isles that puffs up to ten times its own size when you poke it.” “They call them puff fish, Grandmother.”

Archived