House Manderly returns to the Reach

King Blackwood

We don't know for sure if they are, but "half the Houses" in the Reach are descended from Garth Greenhand, according to Olenna. Plus, a Manderly-Tyrell marriage could easily remedy the claim to Highgarden. The Manderlys are an older House, and still maintain the title "Lord Marshal of the Mander".

Manderly-Tyrell marriage? I do hope you're not referring to Margaery there. Unless you want House Manderly to be extinct.

As far as Manderlys going south, it would be cool but they have so much stuff. They have a navy, silver mines, a royal mint, a wealthy and prosperous port city, and a strong allegiance to the Lord Paramount of the North -- something that they could parlay into an even closer relationship. Bran and probably Rickon know how much Robb respected and worked closely with Wyman and if Manderly succeeds in rescuing Rickon then this will only further cement the love and affection between the two Houses. If the Starks are restored, I can't imagine the Manderlys wanting to leave all that other stuff behind for the opportunity to be abused by Euron.

If all of humanity gets pushed South by then, fantasy wacky, here is how things shake out.

Rickon marries Dany's daughter and they rule the Seven Kingdoms.

Manderly's end up on the Reach, the other Northern Houses take over the Stormlands. Arya ends up married to Gendry and rules the Stormlands. Tyrion and Sansa rule the Westerlands.

Manderly has White Harbor, he's dug in there, he's wealthy his forces strong, building and hiding ships..waiting to restore House Stark. He will play a big part in retaking the North from the turncloak Boltons and their dogs the Freys. :bang:

Though All Men Do Despise Us....Haters gonna hate

I think I floated this idea in a different thread about the Manderlys a few months ago, but I couldn't find it. I think a significant portion of the north will be heading south because of winter anyway, so it makes sense to set up some supportive houses in other regions. I also think that the Tyrells' habit of jumping ship over and over again to the side winning at the time will come back to haunt them at some point, with whoever ends up ruling deciding they don't need such a disloyal house in a prominent position of power.

Of all the northern houses large enough to support a cadet branch, Manderly is an obvious one to establish a "northern" house in the south, especially since they're named after the Mander, or vice versa.

On a separate note, does anybody know if the Marlon Manderly mentioned in Dance's White Harbor chapter is Donella Hornwood's brother. They're both described as cousins of Wyman, so it'd be interesting if Donella is Marlon little sister. If so, it'll be an interesting twist as to exactly how Ramsay will be dealt with. It'd be fitting if Marlon and Wyman decided to lock Ramsay up in a cell at the Hornwood castle to die the same way Lady Donella did.

Wyman's likely to eat him... but if Stannis finds out it's burn baby burn.

Wyman ain't goin to no Highgarden. He is of the North. Besides he's too busy fixin to take Rickon into custody so he can wed him to Wylla and rule the North in Rickon's name, with his great grandson eventually becoming KitN or Lord of WF. Hey if Mace Tyrell can do it...

I'd really like to see the Manderlys return to their home along the Mander. They were driven out by the Gardeners, but the Gardeners are long dead.

I'd love to see Wyman become the Lord of Highgarden and High Marshal of the Reach. His House is more ancient than the Tyrells, who were Stewards to the Gardeners and claim female descent from them, and the Florents, who claim to be a cadet branch of the Gardeners.

I have doubts over whether Wyman survives his throat wound from that Frey dude. He's really unhealthy and the blade allegedly went through the majority of his chins.

Wyman ain't goin to no Highgarden. He is of the North. Besides he's too busy fixin to take Rickon into custody so he can wed him to Wylla and rule the North in Rickon's name, with his great grandson eventually becoming KitN or Lord of WF. Hey if Mace Tyrell can do it...

I've always thought that Wayman had his own agenda, and this may well be it. The new order of things is that felons don't get beheaded, they get be-pied.

Well in the real world history shows powerful Houses taking over territory in far away lands based on flimsy claims, conquest, and reward for service. Surely there is a decent Florent cousin somewhere that a Manderly girl could marry, and together be awarded Highgarden after driving the Tyrells to extinction. Edric Storm perhaps, but what's he done to earn it? No, got to be someone who will show some mettle in war and loyalty to whoever ends up on top. I think however that the Manderlys taking over the Twins is more likely.

None of that in any way implies or demands Manderlys give up White Harbour.

Now, what would Manderly do when he hears Euron "is abusing the Reach"? Wouldn't he be at least a little upset? Manderly also has a navy that he has no use of as of right now... Could he go and relieve Highgarden from the Ironborn that he has personal reasons to hate, and, in the process, take over Highgarden? Perhaps marrying one of his family members to a Florent, further cementing the new Reach dynasty... What is more, this doesn't in any way imply that the Manderlys will abandon White Harbour. They will simply set up a cadet branch, or whatever. No need for them to choose between two powerful holdings, they can hold both those areas.

Now, what would Manderly do when he hears Euron "is abusing the Reach"? Wouldn't he be at least a little upset? Manderly also has a navy that he has no use of as of right now... Could he go and relieve Highgarden from the Ironborn that he has personal reasons to hate, and, in the process, take over Highgarden? Perhaps marrying one of his family members to a Florent, further cementing the new Reach dynasty... What is more, this doesn't in any way imply that the Manderlys will abandon White Harbour. They will simply set up a cadet branch, or whatever. No need for them to choose between two powerful holdings, they can hold both those areas.

Doubtful, the Manderly's left the reach a thousand years ago, he'd feel no kinship to any of the houses there anymore.

Doubtful, the Manderly's left the reach a thousand years ago, he'd feel no kinship to any of the houses there anymore.

Exactly his reaction is more likely to be laughter at their predicament and a serves them right mentality.

If he felt like he was still a southerner then why would he utter the immortal line "The North Remembers!"

Exactly his reaction is more likely to be laughter at their predicament and a serves them right mentality.

If he felt like he was still a southerner then why would he utter the immortal line "The North Remembers!"

Precisely, The North remembers [exactly what an outsider would say] - and not We, the Northerners, remember. However, nothing is stopping him to send an expeditionary force to the Reach all the while remaining a Northman. He (supposedly) has the know-how in terms of dealing with the issues of the Reach and is in a unique position to both be aware of their predicament and to be able to do something about it (and not as a completely foreign invader, that is). Even if he thinks that an Ironborn conquest serves them right, he may conclude that a (Northern) intervention there might serve certain purposes - such as denying the Ironborn any further conquests, vengeance for their attack on the North, furthering Northern interests in the South, acquiring new allies, solidifying Stannis' position as a pretender in return for his assistance in bringing Rickon back, whatever.

Archived