Marvel Cinematic Universe: General Discussion

protar

MCU is mapped out through 2028.

:stunned:

I did love this quote though:

Of course, I think they've generally done such a good job with their initial castings that they will all be the respective "Sean Connerys" of their franchise to which future actors will all be compared.

20 years of MCU seems incredibly optimistic, even going down the James Bond route. But you never know I guess, this train's showing no signs of stopping. I'd rather they didn't go down the James Bond route though, and instead I think they should go down the route of legacy characters - characters with similar powersets that can take the place of characters once the actors leave and/or the original character dies. Maybe for example, Ty Simpkins (the kid from Ironman 3) comes back as Iron Lad in 5 years. James bond has an advantage in recasting in that the tenures of each actor are semi-reboots, allowing the different actors to put their own spin on things, giving Bond a different personality. In the continuity heavy MCU, any new Iron Man actors are going to have to live up to the template set by Robert Downey Junior and no one's really going to achieve that. Introducing new characters that fill a similar role allows those new actors to also put a new spin on things, and it also allows for cameo's of the old characters again.

MCU is mapped out through 2028.

:stunned:

I did love this quote though:

Of course, I think they've generally done such a good job with their initial castings that they will all be the respective "Sean Connerys" of their franchise to which future actors will all be compared.

So Ed Norton is the definitive Bruce Banner? I agree that RDJR will be hard to top as Stark but I'm not so sure with Thor and Captain America. Both actors are doing a great job but I could see others topping their performances.

2028 seems pretty optimistic but I'm glad they have a schedule to work from. Like they admit, it all depends on how successful films are. If GOTG flops then we won't be seeing any spin-offs for quite a while. If Dr Strange (whenever it happens) is massive then we could expect a lot more magical characters turning up such as Ghost Rider and Blade. I'd really like to see Marvel create a new character/villain on screen at some stage. There's no logical reason for them to do so but it would be fun to see if they could pull it off.

I could see the plans changing drastically if they were to ever get their hands on Spidey/FF or X-men. If the new FF bombs I could see them getting that property back at least.

• 2 weeks later...

So Ed Norton is the definitive Bruce Banner? I agree that RDJR will be hard to top as Stark but I'm not so sure with Thor and Captain America. Both actors are doing a great job but I could see others topping their performances.

I think you could add Hiddleston to the "Hard to top" list with RDJ.

I was reading American Gods recently and found it was impossible to visualise Loki as looking like anything other than Tom Hiddlestone, even though Gaiman's version of Loki is nothing like the Marvel version.

I was reading American Gods recently and found it was impossible to visualise Loki as looking like anything other than Tom Hiddlestone, even though Gaiman's version of Loki is nothing like the Marvel version.

It's really jarring when he turns into a woman.

That guy has just hit it out of the park. I think he is right up there with RDJ, Christopher Reeve and Kevin Conroy.

Yeah Hiddleston continues to knock it out of the park.

Definitely.

I have to admit, when I first heard he'd been cast I had doubts, which were promptly erased when I saw his performance. It'll be hard to top what he's done with the character if/when the time comes. Same with RDJ, he's just in a league of his own. In fact, I've been happy all round with the casting. Yeah, there have been a few surprises, but I can't honestly say, in my opinion anyway, any of them have been miscast. Which is more than can be said for the other MCU on the go at the moment.

That's not say when these guys step down, other actors wont be as good - they'll have their own spin and bring their own energy to parts. Which is as it should be.

Yeah Hiddleston continues to knock it out of the park.

Ledger is the only other person I 100% believed was that character.

What Ledger did that was special was he reinvented the Joker for the film. The others I mentioned have done classic definitive versions of their characters. Ledger didn't go for the definitive classic Joker the way Mark Hamill did. He (and Nolan) came up with something different that works perfectly for their film.

Definitely. He's also the only decent villain Marvel has thrown out - although there's potential with Winter Soldier.

Definitely. He's also the only decent villain Marvel has thrown out - although there's potential with Winter Soldier.

Definitely, its not close. I know he was one dimensional, but I actually liked Red Skull. It was cool to watch Weaving chew the scenery.

Definitely, its not close. I know he was one dimensional, but I actually liked Red Skull. It was cool to watch Weaving chew the scenery.

I assume Red Skull will return (cap2 spoilers)

was surprised Robert Redford didn't pull his face off as him to be honest

so there's still hope for that villain. I guess in a sense Marvel doesn't own the characters with the best rogues gallery. Spidey, the FF and the X-men have a great to good set )in that order). The characters they have used so far don't really have an overabundance of iconic villains (besides the ones they've already used for Cap and Thor). The Hulk has some interesting ones and Daredevil is pretty solid as well but the non-marvel characters definitely have the edge.

I guess in a sense Marvel doesn't own the characters with the best rogues gallery. Spidey, the FF and the X-men have a great to good set )in that order). The characters they have used so far don't really have an overabundance of iconic villains (besides the ones they've already used for Cap and Thor). The Hulk has some interesting ones and Daredevil is pretty solid as well but the non-marvel characters definitely have the edge.

Well, if we ever get a new Hulk movie they've set up the Leader already. He can be done well, and it's a bit more interesting than having Hulk fight the Abomination, again. There's Zzzax and MODOK too.

Thor, though... we haven't had the Wrecker or the Wrecking Crew yet, or Absorbing Man, or the Enchantress - though to be perfectly honest, there's probably little point in having both Lorelei and Amora, and since they already did Lorelei...

Whether you could do some of these characters well on screen is another issue.

I assume Red Skull will return (cap2 spoilers)

was surprised Robert Redford didn't pull his face off as him to be honest

so there's still hope for that villain. I guess in a sense Marvel doesn't own the characters with the best rogues gallery. Spidey, the FF and the X-men have a great to good set )in that order). The characters they have used so far don't really have an overabundance of iconic villains (besides the ones they've already used for Cap and Thor). The Hulk has some interesting ones and Daredevil is pretty solid as well but the non-marvel characters definitely have the edge.

I read Hugo was not keen on making a comeback. Which is a shame because I would be interested to see what happened to him post Teseract. Then again, I think he is locked in by his contract.

Was I the only one who found Zola weird? He went from a, seemingly, reluctant scientist in the first to restarting Hydra in the second? Seemed like quite the leap.

If you go by IGN's list Marvel don't have the rights to their three best villains (Magneto, Doctor Doom and Galactus). Add the Spidey gallery and you're right it takes away the cream of the crop.

Marvel's never had particularly good villains - but yeah, none of the xmen ones really hurts. No apocalypse, mr sinister, brotherhood, bastion/nimrod, hellfire club, the marauders...ouch.

Ultron is probably the best of the lot for the avengers. After that you have to go into some of the real esoteric ones - the Beyonder, Thanos, Mephisto. That sort of thing.

Not having Doom certainly hurts. I'm with Chris Sims on this one - Doom is the best supervillain in comics. Heck, I'd go further and say he's probably one of the best characters in super-comics. Galactus is a shame too, but Thanos will kind of do as a substitute galactic-level threat. (He's not really more 'esoteric' than Galactus, anyway.)

But there's still a fair amount to run with. Though Kang would be kinda out there.

Well, if we ever get a new Hulk movie they've set up the Leader already. He can be done well, and it's a bit more interesting than having Hulk fight the Abomination, again. There's Zzzax and MODOK too.

The leader is cool in that it's brain rather than brawn - he'd make a good universe-wide villain done right. I'd love to see MODOK on screen - it's all or nothing in terms of translating him to screen though.

I was looking at an "Avengers villain list" and there's Kang (always dangerous to mess with time travel), Baron Zemo and masters of evil (could work well especially if they ever want to do "thunderbolts"), Kree/Skrull (don't think they have rights to Skrull) and Scarlet Witch (if they went Avengers disassembled).

Not having Doom certainly hurts. I'm with Chris Sims on this one - Doom is the best supervillain in comics. Heck, I'd go further and say he's probably one of the best characters in super-comics. Galactus is a shame too, but Thanos will kind of do as a substitute galactic-level threat. (He's not really more 'esoteric' than Galactus, anyway.)

But there's still a fair amount to run with. Though Kang would be kinda out there.

Doom and Magneto are two of the best in my opinion. Doom clearly inspired a lot of other villains in entertainment though.

Ultron is probably the best of the lot for the avengers. After that you have to go into some of the real esoteric ones - the Beyonder, Thanos, Mephisto. That sort of thing.

Mephisto could be useful for when they get around to Dr Strange.

Does anyone else get the feeling that they're about to go for a Civil War storyline with these movies, or a Death of Captain America one for the third cap? With Chris Evans' contract almost over and Sebastian Stan's really just beginning(and considering the character he plays), I'm definitely thinking that they're going to go there, which could be amazing. It obviously won't be nearly as character heavy and will be less complex, but still, I see them taking ideas.

Archived