Marvel Cinematic Universe: General Discussion

protar

• 2 weeks later...

Johnny Depp is meeting with Marvel for the Dr. Strange role.

http://screenrant.com/johnny-depp-doctor-strange-marvel/

That could be amazing casting besides the fact that he plays the same character in all Disney films. I've had enough of his foppish child-like characters. I think he's doing some different roles this year so there's an off-chance he'll tailor his acting to the role rather than phoning it in with his tried and tested crowd-pleasing standard.

That could be amazing casting besides the fact that he plays the same character in all Disney films. I've had enough of his foppish child-like characters. I think he's doing some different roles this year so there's an off-chance he'll tailor his acting to the role rather than phoning it in with his tried and tested crowd-pleasing standard.

Maybe something like the way he played Corso in The Ninth Gate, particularly before Stephen becomes STRANGE?

the whole Depp as Strange rumour has been squashed. Some reports go as far as saying a Dr Strange film is being rewritten. Whatever he met Marvel Studios for didn't result in them hiring him.

Unless Marvel are really uncertain about whether Dr Strange would work as a film, I think they are better off going for a non A-list actor. It's worked for everything else.

Scarlett Johansson has described the script for Avengers: Age of Ultron as "dark" and "cerebral."

Now, I think the Avengers was a fun action movie, one of the better popcorn flicks of recent years. But I find these Marvel films are far from dark and cerebral. There's no dramatic weight to anything that happens, it feels as if nothing is at stake. NYC is nearly destroyed, but they make jokes about shwarma after. They killed 1 minor character (Coulson) and couldn't even keep him dead for long. I found the humor in Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 overbearing and grating.

I probably won't be able to buy into it when they make something more serious.

It should still be entertaining at least. I'm glad Michael Douglas and Vin Diesel will be in Marvel films.

Scarlett Johansson has described the script for Avengers: Age of Ultron as "dark" and "cerebral."

Now, I think the Avengers was a fun action movie, one of the better popcorn flicks of recent years. But I find these Marvel films are far from dark and cerebral. There's no dramatic weight to anything that happens, it feels as if nothing is at stake. NYC is nearly destroyed, but they make jokes about shwarma after. They killed 1 minor character (Coulson) and couldn't even keep him dead for long. I found the humor in Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 overbearing and grating.

I probably won't be able to buy into it when they make something more serious.

It should still be entertaining at least. I'm glad Michael Douglas and Vin Diesel will be in Marvel films.

Maybe Scarlett's spectrum for dark and cerebral is limited? I very much doubt the Marvel films will reach Dark Knight levels of darkness though - especially for a tentpole all-ages action film. Can't say I'd even want the Avengers to be dark and cerebral. That's more of what I'd be expecting in their TV shows eg the Marvel Knight ones in 2015 and possibly the SHIELD show (although I'd settle for it just being good)

Yeah, those films aren't dark and also not particularly complex. Which is a big part of their appeal. I think they should continue to embrace those aspects, forcing a series of movies this light-hearted into dark-ish territory has a very low chance of success, IMO.

That isn't to say that they couldn't afford to be a bit smarter about plotting and characterisation, both for the heroes and the villains. On rewatch, Iron Man 3 is the best of the Marvel films to date because it actually builds on what has come before and also plays with your expectations a little. It's still not all that complicated (though I have seen people complaining about the plot who apparently hadn't understood what was going on...) and it definitely has its flaws (remarkably the little kid isn't one of the more glaring ones), but it is also still fun and funny.

Maybe Scarlett's spectrum for dark and cerebral is limited? I very much doubt the Marvel films will reach Dark Knight levels of darkness though - especially for a tentpole all-ages action film. Can't say I'd even want the Avengers to be dark and cerebral.

Well to be fair if you don't read a lot of SF what comes off as cliched to us might be rather innovative. Personally I thought the best Ultron-turns-Evil version was in the cartoon Avengers:Earth's Mightiest Heroes as everything that happens is understandable and based on rational decisions and competing but valid ethics -> Aliens attack, and Ultron robots [that Pym wanted to serve as non-violent prison guards assisting in rehabilitation] are used to defend against them. Robots then take their desire to protect humanity to extremes.

We might see a [similar] riff on Asimov's laws, where Stark creates an AI responsible for keeping track of threats. As for the "darkness"....yeah, I doubt it.

Just saw this: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1720507/avengers-age-of-ultron-thomas-kretschmann-baron-strucker.jhtml

Thomas Kretschmann has been cast as a secondary villain called Baron von Strucker. I've never heard of him, but he's an immortal HYDRA agent, and the article speculates that Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver may be his kids in the film continuity. This news also backs up some speculation I was just having: SHIELD will ask Tony create Ultron in order to take on another villain (Strucker) and the first part of the film will actually see Ultron team up with the Avengers. Then he'll turn on them and probably form some puritanical plan about cleansing the impure human race.

Wasn't Strucker one of Nick Fury's enemies back when he was Howling Commando-ing?

Think so yeah. I'm guessing the first half hour of the film will be Strucker, Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch kidnapping the Avengers and then Ultron coming to save the day.

EDIT: I don't know how much of Fury's history they're planning to get into though. It'll probably just be referenced quickly, he is just supposed to be a secondary villain after all.

Unless they go into it a bit in Winter Soldier maybe?

I do remember a comment (by Whedon?) actually that the post-credit sequence of Winter Soldier would be crucial to Age of Ultron. So maybe he'll be introduced there?

I do remember a comment (by Whedon?) actually that the post-credit sequence of Winter Soldier would be crucial to Age of Ultron. So maybe he'll be introduced there?

We have seen they're not that opposed to introducing things in other films and then not explaining them that much in the Sequels. Loki and the Tesseract come to mind. I don't know how much of WS will be flashbacks, or how far back it will go. Obviously Fury isn't around in WW2 like the comic counterpart. How old is he meant to be?

If I had to guess, I'd say that Hawkeye is the most logical choice to buy the farm.... he even dies in the comics.... and should they ever want the character to return (dubtful since the movie turnover is so slow) .... well, Hawkeye is among the many superheroes who managed to return from the dead... a la Coulson

I doubt they'll kill Cap... he's a franchise... and they don't own all the nessasary characters to do Civil War, which is how he tempoarily died hahahahahaha

Archived