The chapter in Sisterton foreshadows Davos raising the north as Ned did before him.

The Sleeper

Reading through that chapter and in context of his story arc it seems kind of unneccessary We get a few bits of information, no particular development, some background on RR and the sisters, some other minor coincidence, a red herring about Jon Snow's parentage and a later inside joke, the fate of the Sloe-eyed maid, the introduction of Rodrick Borrel etc. So what was the reason this chapter was included over others as appaerntly, there were neither major plot developments nor character progression?

Let's see what happens in this chapter.

Davos is arrested and we learn that Sallador Sann has abandoned Stannis, his fleet is much dimished and is returnignto pirace at the Stepstones. All relevant information, but nothing that couldn't be revealed to the reader in other ways.

We get introduced to Rodrik Borrel, we get background information on the three sisters and the wars between the Vale and the North over dominion of them. The Sisters may become relevant later on and Rodrik Borrel in particular, however this is seems doubtful to me as the Sisters are a backwater and Borrel a third tier lord. Evne if they do become relevent later on, the need for some background information could be delivered when they do.

We get a potential maother for Jon, which is most certainly a red herring.

We see what a blow Tywin's death was to the prestige and image to the Iron Throne. While previously, most considered the war to be well and trully over for all intents and purposes, this belief is now shaken. Again, it doesn't seem a good enaough reson to include the chapter as this bit of information could and is revealed to the readers through other means.

I think the relevent part are the parts about Ned. We get to see some background on how RR unfolded and how desperate things were for them at the beginning. We get the quote that nothing is certain in this world except Winter, which if not addressed to the reader, shows the frame of mind of those determined to fight on. This is some insight to RR we could get from no other source, but in my opinion is the true relevance of the chapter. Ned passed from Sisterton on his way to White Harbor in order to raise the North to fight against the Iron Throne in the most dire of circumstances. Provided that Davos is going to look for Rickon and potentialy get custody of him, I think that Martin makes a parallel and has Davos retracing Ned's steps to a similar end.

What do you think?

ETA

Edited the title because my point wasn't getting the point across. My mistake was to make my point from a meta-perspective obviously clouds the issue, but this is how the idea came to me in the first place.

To iterrate the points in a manner regardless of the chapter's quality.

- Davos finds himself on the same spot Ned had found himself 15 years ago during RR, arriving in Sisterton in a boat.

- Davos resumes his journey northward with the same words Ned did, which also happen to be the family motto.

- Ned was on his way north to raise it in order to fight the Iron Throne. Davos has the same goal.

- Ned was the liege lord of the north. Davos is on a mission to recover the liege lord of the north. (I am aware that succession in the north is complicated, but as this is not the point of the post, it would suffice that Rickon can act as a figurehead for the north to rally behind).

In short, I believe that Martin is making a parallel between Ned's journey and actions in RR and Davos's current ones and this foreshadows the future of Davos's arc, indicating that he will be instrumental is rallying the north.

First I disagree that there wasn't any character development.

Second, it had what I will call realm development.

We see another strategy that some lords use to stay out of a/the wars. Provide help to one side (or both?) and make both promise not to tell the other what they did, as if they're actually being neutral the entire time.

First I disagree that there wasn't any character development.

Second, it had what I will call realm development.

We see another strategy that some lords use to stay out of a/the wars. Provide help to one side (or both?) and make both promise not to tell the other what they did, as if they're actually being neutral the entire time.

In regards to Davos or Salador Saan, they did reach a breaking point, but it isn't as if it weren't long coming. Davos main concern about Stannis's prospect being hopeless and taking blows is not a new development, either.

As to the politics, in my view this falls well in the category of houses beiing as non-comiital as possible, like house Swan sending sons to two kings. It doesn't appear to be anything new either.

I agree that this chapter is a symptom of a larger problem Martin has in the last two books -- the need to stuff everything in them. I like that chapter just fine, as Martin is a fine writer, but it's unnecessary. His first chapter should be the one where he arrives in White Harbor. Any interesting character bits could've been incorporated in a later chapter.

As to the politics, in my view this falls well in the category of houses beiing as non-comiital as possible, like house Swan sending sons to two kings. It doesn't appear to be anything new either.

You don't see a difference between participating in a war actively on both sides and not participating at all except for passive favors?

I agree that this chapter is a symptom of a larger problem Martin has in the last two books -- the need to stuff everything in them. I like that chapter just fine, as Martin is a fine writer, but it's unnecessary. His first chapter should be the one where he arrives in White Harbor. Any interesting character bits could've been incorporated in a later chapter.

I never claimed that, and the OP is not about whether the chapter is superfluous or not. Regardless of opinions on the matter, Martin has written and included it for a reason and I am posting my thoughts about what that reason might be.

You don't see a difference between participating in a war actively on both sides and not participating at all except for passive favors?

In as much, as it aims at avoiding offending the various sides of the war and trying to weather it with as little loss as possible, no. Borrel is hardly the only lord keeping his options open, trying to play both sides and staying out of the way as much as he can.

I think this chapter sets up the rest of Davos' DwD arc by giving the situation in White Harbor- Manderly is purportedly bending the knee to the Iron Throne and marrying a daughter to the Freys. The Manderlys origins in the North are also referenced, as well as their strategic importance. It lays down all the information necessary to understand what's going to follow when Davos gets to White Harbor, and also makes his task there meaningfully important.

I think it also gives us an opinion that I think we're meant to take as a kind of standard 'everylord' position. The Lord of Sisterton shows disdain for the Freys, guest right is referenced. He remembers Robert's strength, and Stannis' as well- there is lingering respect for the Baratheons and Stannis. With Tywin dead he's uncertain, things look bad for Stannis, but Stannis still has a reputation to trade on- he still might win. Maybe more importantly there is no confidence in the Iron Throne, with Tywin dead and Cersei ruling as regent. So if we ascribe these general feelings to minor lords across the realm, as I think we're meant to, we get a sense of the mood in Westeros following Tywin's death. This could be important with the arrival of Aegon, as the same or very similar set of motivations and doubts could lead to Lords declaring support for him.

So, it's definitely highly expositive, almost a 'world building' chapter in some sense- maybe 'world calibrating'- but I think it sets up a very important mood as well as giving information important to Davos' later chapters.

Plus it's just a great, well written, very fun chapter. Robert's Rebellion backstory is always appreciated, Jon Snow parentage red herrings are fun, and putting Davos in a situation where he's walking in Ned's footsteps is enjoyable given their similarities.

And then the way it ends:

"Be that as it may. My father sat where I sit now when Lord Eddard came to Sisterton. Our maester urged us to send Stark's head to Aerys, to prove our loyalty. It would have meant a rich reward. The Mad King was open-handed with them as pleased him. By then we knew that Jon Arryn had taken Gulltown, though. Robert was the first man to gain the wall, and slew Marq Grafton with his own hand. ‘This Baratheon is fearless,' I said. ‘He fights the way a king should fight.' Our maester chuckled at me and told us that Prince Rhaegar was certain to defeat this rebel. That was when Stark said, ‘In this world only winter is certain. We may lose our heads, it's true … but what if we prevail?' My father sent him on his way with his head still on his shoulders. ‘If you lose,' he told Lord Eddard, ‘you were never here.' "

"No more than I was," said Davos Seaworth.

I know it's a small thing, but I fistpumped.

I think this chapter sets up the rest of Davos' DwD arc by giving the situation in White Harbor- Manderly is purportedly bending the knee to the Iron Throne and marrying a daughter to the Freys. The Manderlys origins in the North are also referenced, as well as their strategic importance. It lays down all the information necessary to understand what's going to follow when Davos gets to White Harbor, and also makes his task there meaningfully important.

I think it also gives us an opinion that I think we're meant to take as a kind of standard 'everylord' position. The Lord of Sisterton shows disdain for the Freys, guest right is referenced. He remembers Robert's strength, and Stannis' as well- there is lingering respect for the Baratheons and Stannis. With Tywin dead he's uncertain, things look bad for Stannis, but Stannis still has a reputation to trade on- he still might win. Maybe more importantly there is no confidence in the Iron Throne, with Tywin dead and Cersei ruling as regent. So if we ascribe these general feelings to minor lords across the realm, as I think we're meant to, we get a sense of the mood in Westeros following Tywin's death. This could be important with the arrival of Aegon, as the same or very similar set of motivations and doubts could lead to Lords declaring support for him.

So, it's definitely highly expositive, almost a 'world building' chapter in some sense- maybe 'world calibrating'- but I think it sets up a very important mood as well as giving information important to Davos' later chapters.

Plus it's just a great, well written, very fun chapter. Robert's Rebellion backstory is always appreciated, Jon Snow parentage red herrings are fun, and putting Davos in a situation where he's walking in Ned's footsteps is enjoyable given their similarities.

And then the way it ends:

I know it's a small thing, but I fistpumped.

I love this chapter, and agree with what you've said about all it's elements. The one way I also think it fits in is how it fits in with what appears to be Davos's tours of many of the prison facilities of the high lords and his treatment, for compare and contrast purposes, also........just for fun. While it's not overly detailed, I do think Davos alluded to being held somewhere right before he was taken to the meal with Borrel, and the meal itself can be considered a bit of good treatment of a possible prisoner.

The last lines of the chapter are definately fist-pump worthy, I LOVED THEM!! This is one of my favorite chapters.

snip

:agree: My thoughts exactly. The information about White Harbor is very important for the next chapters. Also, in the Feast we have been shown of the power struggle in Kings Landing but if I remember correctly this is the first time we see how the minor lords -the "silent magority" so to say- respond in these events. In Brienne's and Jaime's chapters in the Riverlands it seems like the Lannisters have totally won the war and as if any remaining opposition is doomed sooner or later. In this one, doubts and hope are re-introduced: "In this world only winter is certain."

I think this also supports the idea of Ned's journey forshadowing Davos's arc. Two Borrel generations did the exact same thing for the same reasons under similar circumstances. At a time the Iron Throne seemed mighty the occupants did not inspire much confidence, while the contenders seemed more capable in comparison.

Archived