Selyse in KL as Queen...some day even as Regent

Señor de la Tormenta 2

Why is is particularly frightening? They've managed to have Cersei, Joffrey and Aerys and more. I don't think that Selyse will managed to top any of them no matter how hard she tries.

Uhhhhhhh

While all three prior rulers were horrible rulers/people, they did not try to destroy the seven or the old gods.

:agree: There is even more room for rebellion than the other monarchs managed to ferment, and that is saying something.

Why is is particularly frightening? They've managed to have Cersei, Joffrey and Aerys and more. I don't think that Selyse will managed to top any of them no matter how hard she tries.

Based on how she treats the Night's Watch while at Castle Black, I think we can safely assume that Selyse wouldn't be doing much for the common folk (as mentioned above). She isn't as inherently cruel as Cersei, but I also think she is a lot stupider (and you won't find someone who thinks less of Cersei's intelligence than me). To be totally honest, I kind of think of Selyse as what Sansa was groomed to be: obedient to her lord husband, relatively unaware of what goes on around her, and designed to charm other nobles.

There's no denying she's loyal to Stannis, even if he is basically done with her. She seems largely clueless as to the overall scope of things, basically just repeating what Melisandre says. And for the third point, maybe living on Dragonstone, not bearing any sons, and having a daughter afflicted with greyscale has made her miserable. It wouldn't be the first example we have of a high born lady no longer being happy.

However, the biggest problem with Selyse on the Iron Throne is her total devotion to R'hllor. Thoros was sent to Westeros to try to preach the teachings of R'hllor and didn't get very far. Even Davos, her husband's own Hand, doesn't buy into the preachings, even if he does see the power Melisandre exhibits. How would she get the seven kingdoms to believe in a new god that's totally foreign to them? At least Cersei showed an ability (during the Battle of the Blackwater) to sup with highborns and allow them to go pray to the Seven. Selyse would command nightly fires and likely sacrifices. I don't think she'd last very long.

She still wouldn't go as far as causing the biggest war Westeros has seen in a long time, between most of the Great Houses.

A no she will cause a holy war. The seven has a fanatic leader now too. Soon the people loyal to the crown would convert or at least pretend to ie wildlings entering castle black. The seven would go ape shit. May even go hey while we are at it Lets get rid of the old Gods too. Ie the holy wars in our history.

Sure she would. What do you think she'd do if people refused to convert to R'hllor?

A no she will cause a holy war. The seven has a fanatic leader now too. Soon the people loyal to the crown would convert or at least pretend to ie wildlings entering castle black. The seven would go ape shit. May even go hey while we are at it Lets get rid of the old Gods too. Ie the holy wars in our history.

Stannis would never leave military power in her hands, even if he died.

She might want to do it, but she never would.

The Seven have a devout leader, fanatical followers that are growing in number every day, and now an army. Selyse isn't going to get far in her conversion attempts (which will be forced and bloody). Even the Targaryens with their dragons had to convert to the Seven to appease their new subjects.

Nope, if Selyse gets near King's Landing there will be a holy war Selyse will probably lose.

The Seven have a devout leader, fanatical followers that are growing in number every day, and now an army. Selyse isn't going to get far in her conversion attempts (which will be forced and bloody). Even the Targaryens with their dragons had to convert to the Seven to appease their new subjects.

Nope, if Selyse gets near King's Landing there will be a holy war Selyse will probably lose.

Stannis would never leave military power in her hands, even if he died.

She might want to do it, but she never would.

Was the OP even read here? This is a hypothetical question on if Selyse was in power. So in that case your point is invalid and I still stand by Nic and myself's thought on what would happen.

Archived