Selyse in KL as Queen...some day even as Regent

Selyse is a shrill and unlikable woman. That wouldn't really matter much if she wasn't a religious zealot on top of it. That latter part is what would be so terrible about her reign. She wouldn't be safe trying to convert the populace, as the Faith of the Seven remains one of the few things smallfolk hold dear.

Was the OP even read here? This is a hypothetical question on if Selyse was in power. So in that case your point is invalid and I still stand by Nic and myself's thought on what would happen.

Okay. If the Faith was in power at the time of her Regency, she would lose. But I will still hold my view that she would not be as bad as Cersei.

But as I said - she would never make herself regent, nor would Stannis name her as regent, nor would anyone else ask her to be a regent.

Robert didn't intend for Cersei to rule either. Selyse could pull a Cersei.

She could. I don't think she'd be smart enough though.

However I'm inclined to agree, that she would fail as regent worse than Cersei did.

Millions of people will wake up and go to bed praying to every god they know for Stannis's health and long life. In fact, Stannis could probably dismiss the Kingsguard until Shireen becomes of age; no one would ever dare hurt him for fear that Selyse I might turn the entire continent into a combination of the Gaza Strip and a fireball.

Millions of people will wake up and go to bed praying to every god they know for Stannis's health and long life. In fact, Stannis could probably dismiss the Kingsguard until Shireen becomes of age; no one would ever dare hurt him for fear that Selyse I might turn the entire continent into a combination of the Gaza Strip and a fireball.

Lol. I think your right.

Based on how she treats the Night's Watch while at Castle Black, I think we can safely assume that Selyse wouldn't be doing much for the common folk (as mentioned above). She isn't as inherently cruel as Cersei, but I also think she is a lot stupider (and you won't find someone who thinks less of Cersei's intelligence than me). To be totally honest, I kind of think of Selyse as what Sansa was groomed to be: obedient to her lord husband, relatively unaware of what goes on around her, and designed to charm other nobles.

There's no denying she's loyal to Stannis, even if he is basically done with her. She seems largely clueless as to the overall scope of things, basically just repeating what Melisandre says. And for the third point, maybe living on Dragonstone, not bearing any sons, and having a daughter afflicted with greyscale has made her miserable. It wouldn't be the first example we have of a high born lady no longer being happy.

However, the biggest problem with Selyse on the Iron Throne is her total devotion to R'hllor. Thoros was sent to Westeros to try to preach the teachings of R'hllor and didn't get very far. Even Davos, her husband's own Hand, doesn't buy into the preachings, even if he does see the power Melisandre exhibits. How would she get the seven kingdoms to believe in a new god that's totally foreign to them? At least Cersei showed an ability (during the Battle of the Blackwater) to sup with highborns and allow them to go pray to the Seven. Selyse would command nightly fires and likely sacrifices. I don't think she'd last very long.

This sums up my thought on the matter.

Selyse's devotion to R'hllor is on the unhealthy level in my opinion.

As queen she wouldn't have much power. For all effects and purposes, Mellisandre is Stannis' Queen

As regent, Selyse and the Holy sparrow would probably come to conflict.

she would be even worse then Cersei, though many people would love her nevertheless, her fellow devout. Cersei is driven by fear and ambition, Selyse is driven by faith. A "moral" cause, is oddly, stronger than a natural one.

PS: True this question is hypothetical. But it is based on fats so it is valid.

This is a perfect summary.

Selyse suffers the same delusion as Cersei in that she thinks she is good at ruling, but the truth is that she is actually terrible. She also has no qualms against burning people, and was even willing to burn her own nephew, Edric. She also shares Cersei's lack of compassion for common people, along with a haughty sense of entitlement.

Although, I don't think she shares Cersei's madness or psychopathy. She wouldn't last very long.

Was the OP even read here? This is a hypothetical question on if Selyse was in power. So in that case your point is invalid and I still stand by Nic and myself's thought on what would happen.

Yes I did read it and my point is not invalid. Did you read my post? If she managed to get into power she probably wouldn't last long because she'd spark a holy war against a growing number of fanatics for the Seven. Even the Targs who had dragons had to adopt the gods of their subjects to solidify their rule (which is something Selyse would never do). Go read it again.

Robert didn't intend for Cersei to rule either. Selyse could pull a Cersei.

Selyse seems devoted to Stannis. Maybe if she believed he wasn't AA she might change and be willing to pull a Cersei, but then she might not be a fanatic if her husband was no longer the world's saviour.

But if she was in power she'd be terrible. As soon as she gets left alone on Dragonstone with Melisandre the dungeons get cleaned out and the prisoners roasted, and throughout the entire series she doesn't do much other than act as Mel's echo. She'd be playing second fiddle to Melisandre in this hypothetical just as she is now.

Selyse suffers the same delusion as Cersei in that she thinks she is good at ruling, but the truth is that she is actually terrible. She also has no qualms against burning people, and was even willing to burn her own nephew, Edric. She also shares Cersei's lack of compassion for common people, along with a haughty sense of entitlement.

Although, I don't think she shares Cersei's madness or psychopathy. She wouldn't last very long.

To be honest with you, I have never gotten the impression that Selyse thinks of herself as a great ruler. In fact, she is more than willing to submit to Stannis's will and really hasn't made any important decisions for him. Cersei is under the impression that she is destined to rule, which is where the two really differ.

As aforementioned, it wouldn't be a misinterpretation of her ability to run the realm that would bring down Selyse in King's Landing, it would be her overwhelming devotion to the one thing she cares about, R'hllor, that would undo her among those who worship either the Old Gods or the New.

If Selyse was left to rule, I think she might even feel a bit lost. I feel she is somewhat of an insecure person: not being able to give his husband a son and blaiming it on Robert/Edric, following a religion and it's priestess pretty much without any criticism. She would definitely need a strong Hand who she could rely on, or even lead for her. She does strike me as more of a follower than a leader.

To be honest with you, I have never gotten the impression that Selyse thinks of herself as a great ruler. In fact, she is more than willing to submit to Stannis's will and really hasn't made any important decisions for him.

She advised Stannis against Cressen's advice of trying to seek common cause with Robb Stark and attempt an alliance with the Vale. She speaks against those plans with no plan of her own about how to gather allies for Stannis. She also decides to make Gerrick Kingsblood the King of the Wildlings when she has no clue about of the dynamics of wildling politics, and thinks the wildlings will just accept him.

Archived