NBA 2013-14 - A Clash of Kings

Jabronius Maximus

Ugh Westbrook has the worst luck. Goes knee on knee with Lowry, and limps off. It didn't look good, but hopefully the news isn't too bad. The west is wide open if he can't come back...

Eta: word is it's a right knee sprain, according to the Raps broadcast. Good thing it wasn't anything more serious.

God damn it. Fuck John Salmons. Why was he even playing? Losing an 8 point lead with just over a minute left is inexcusable as a team, but he played such a big part in that letdown. I hope he's nailed to the bench for a long time.

It was a great game otherwise. The MVP race is probably over as well.

Westbrook's MRI showed no damage to the knee, thankfully, I was quite worried all day waiting for news about the situation.

Yeah I can't even trust Westbrook's word now, so I had to wait for the news as well. Last year he played the second half on a torn meniscus. Guy just doesn't know when to quit!

Yeah that was a remarkable result. Knicks are out of the race now, Hawks have pulled themselves together.

Too little too late for the NY Knicks.

OKC loses another game, this time to Dallas. Another game with Russ. Dallas really needed to win this one to stay ahead of the remarkable Phoenix side. LA Clippers could finish 2nd with the amazing run they've been on.

Portland beaten by a bad Orlando side, they continue to slide down. They could still go down to no. 8 if they are not careful.

I do hope Phoenix makes the playoffs instead of Dallas. Dallas is such a bland and boring team to me, and Phoenix is actually really exciting. Dragic is the Most Improved player of the year, Bledsoe is a nice addition, Gerald Green has been sensational and the Morris twins are great players as well.

Yeah that was a remarkable result. Knicks are out of the race now, Hawks have pulled themselves together.

Too little too late for the NY Knicks.

OKC loses another game, this time to Dallas. Another game with Russ. Dallas really needed to win this one to stay ahead of the remarkable Phoenix side. LA Clippers could finish 2nd with the amazing run they've been on.

Portland beaten by a bad Orlando side, they continue to slide down. They could still go down to no. 8 if they are not careful.

I do hope Phoenix makes the playoffs instead of Dallas. Dallas is such a bland and boring team to me, and Phoenix is actually really exciting. Dragic is the Most Improved player of the year, Bledsoe is a nice addition, Gerald Green has been sensational and the Morris twins are great players as well.

I agree that Phoenix are exciting and it would be great to see them in the playoffs, but I would argue that Dallas is actually pretty fun to watch as well. Monta Ellis is electric in the pick-and-roll, Jose Calderon is a brilliant in a Steve Nash-lite role (eg. set the table and shoot very accurately when required) and Dirk Nowitzki is still an unstoppable force when he posts up. Plus Vince Carter is somehow still fun in a "finally figured out how to play like a role-player now I am one" kind of way. What with them not being a great defensive team you get a lot of fun, high-scoring games and Carlisle really does a good coaching job to keep them playing well.

I saw a graph a while back that charted offensive efficiency vs. number of passes per possession. The Spurs and the Mavericks were the only ones with good efficiency and a lot of ball movement. Maybe they get tarred with the same brush because their offence is too unselfish?

ST

Raps really cut it close the last two against Boston, but it's nice to see them clinch a spot after a floundering for a few years. A big win by Portland in Chicago really helps the Raps' cause, as it keeps them in the 3rd spot and away from a first-round match against Brooklyn. (It was also big for Portland, as it was LA's return and even though he looked pedestrian, they looked good as a full team).

Raps really cut it close the last two against Boston, but it's nice to see them clinch a spot after a floundering for a few years. A big win by Portland in Chicago really helps the Raps' cause, as it keeps them in the 3rd spot and away from a first-round match against Brooklyn. (It was also big for Portland, as it was LA's return and even though he looked pedestrian, they looked good as a full team).

I'm not really fond of the Chicago vs Brooklyn first round that seems to be about to happen.

These are the two only teams that present genuine challenges to Miami in particular, and to Indiana as well but maybe to a slightly lesser extent.

Point is that both of these really match up well with Miami and I'd like for Miami to be challenged big time. Because LeBron is the only player on that whole team that I have any sympathy for.

Toronto will stand no chance against Indiana or Miami and I think they'd also be ejected in a series against Chicago and Brooklyn.

Moving to the West, it's interesting how many places can still be switched there.

San Antonio is the sure no.1. OKC may end up as no.2 but a few more end of season misses and the Clippers might pass them.

Likewise the Rockets have pretty much the same record as the Clippers, if they win the two games in hand. The Rockets have really won a lot of games lately, as have the Clips.

Golden State is in the same position with regards to Portland.

Phoenix could still make the playoffs instead of Memphis or Dallas, that pleases me.

And another thing: Anthony Davis. What a giant. He is fantastic. Really fantastic.
It's not like he is a superstar in the making; he is one. It's just that he is playing for a mediocre team of a mediocre franchise. I guess he's likely to stay with NO for the next two seasons at least, and that is a shame. I hate to see the greatest players miss playoffs because they're not surrounded with enough good players. And NO isn't going t get better next year through the drat if I'm correct, because they gave up their pick to Philadelhia for Holiday. Sure they've had some injuries this year but it's still a waste of Anthony Davis.

And I feel exactly the same about Kevin Love. At least there are transfer rumours about him for this Summer, even though he's not a free agent till 2015. There's talk of the Lakers trading their 2014 pick for him, for instance.

Patrick Beverley is out with a torn meniscus in his knee, which potentially could be a big blow for the Rockets. It's not confirmed whether or not he'll be back in time for the playoffs, but potentially he could be done for the year if they opt for surgery. The team desperately needs the balance he brings to the starting lineup and his defensive intensity, so this threatens to knock the team out of the excellent groove it has been on since New Year. I think his brand of defence is actually a tad over-rated because it looks energetic and flashy, but there's no denying that certain point guards it is very effective. In particular, it works rather well against Damian Lillard and Steph Curry, and unfortunately the Rockets are likely to face one of those two in the first round.

Although there are some flaws to his game, Lin is still pretty qualified to take over the starting PG job. The problem is the bench are now going to be left in the hands of rookie Isaiah Canaan because of the mid-season trade that sent Brooks to Denver for Jordan Hamilton (still think the trade was justified at the time, mind you). He hasn't had much playing time this year, so McHale is probably going to have to force-feed him minutes over the last 10 games or so to see if he's capable of playing up to the standard that will be necessary come playoff time.

I still think the Rockets have the necessary fire power to get past the first round, but I think they'll struggle to make an impact against the titans of the Western Conference in the second without Beverley back. Although they match up pretty well with the Spurs, they need to be firing on all cylinders to be able to take them down in a seven game series. Popovich is too savvy a tactician to be able to get away with having flaws in your team, and this injury has exposed a few in the Houston team.

ST

Toronto will stand no chance against Indiana or Miami and I think they'd also be ejected in a series against Chicago and Brooklyn.

Toronto can beat Indiana in a 7 game series. Will they? Probably not but if you watch the games they've played this year they definitely could, next weeks game will be interesting. Miami they have far less of a chance against as they just don't match up well against them.

Patrick Beverley is out with a torn meniscus in his knee, which potentially could be a big blow for the Rockets. It's not confirmed whether or not he'll be back in time for the playoffs, but potentially he could be done for the year if they opt for surgery. The team desperately needs the balance he brings to the starting lineup and his defensive intensity, so this threatens to knock the team out of the excellent groove it has been on since New Year. I think his brand of defence is actually a tad over-rated because it looks energetic and flashy, but there's no denying that certain point guards it is very effective. In particular, it works rather well against Damian Lillard and Steph Curry, and unfortunately the Rockets are likely to face one of those two in the first round.

Although there are some flaws to his game, Lin is still pretty qualified to take over the starting PG job. The problem is the bench are now going to be left in the hands of rookie Isaiah Canaan because of the mid-season trade that sent Brooks to Denver for Jordan Hamilton (still think the trade was justified at the time, mind you). He hasn't had much playing time this year, so McHale is probably going to have to force-feed him minutes over the last 10 games or so to see if he's capable of playing up to the standard that will be necessary come playoff time.

I still think the Rockets have the necessary fire power to get past the first round, but I think they'll struggle to make an impact against the titans of the Western Conference in the second without Beverley back. Although they match up pretty well with the Spurs, they need to be firing on all cylinders to be able to take them down in a seven game series. Popovich is too savvy a tactician to be able to get away with having flaws in your team, and this injury has exposed a few in the Houston team.

ST

This is crunch time for Jeremy Lin. I get the feeling if the Rockets don't make it past the second round, they are going to aggressively pursue Carmelo Anthony in free agency with Lin on the block in a sign-and-trade deal along with some other key players on their roster. It certainly doesn't help having Dwight Howard out with an ankle injury. Portland or GSW are going to be tough first rounders as it is.

Milwaukee has a 2 game lead for worst record because Philly forgot their goal and somehow put together a game and beat Detroit by 30.

All I can see now is McHales comment from back in 86 when the C's had a high first round pick "Doesn't matter where we end up, Philly will still pick ahead of us". And they did, well, until Philly traded the pick. Wouldn't see that happening this year.

It's sink or swim time for the Griz after two awful defensive performances over the weekend have them back in 9th. The bottom half of the West is still very tight but it's going to be tough from here on out, and frankly an 8th seed matchup with the Spurs smells a lot like another sweep to me.

Archived