How many men does Manderly have up his sleeve?

Eddard Slark

After losing the majority of his forces sent South with Robb plus the casualties he would have lost in the Hornwood skirmishes it is highly improbable that he is able to summon the military strength Robb just about got from the whole of the North.

Robb is desperate for the Freys, Ironborn and Arryns to lend him military support but not once mentions this huge manpower in reserve.

And Roose is meant to be so cunning that he makes plans based on what lands in the North are vulnerable and which Lords he can dispose of in the South but he is oblivious to this HUGE secret army the man he considers his biggest threat in the North.

:agree: I see the most Manderly being able to muster is about 5,000K at most. Maybe more if he is able to convince the Skagosi to join him which I find highly improbable .

Well two days is short, but I definitely wouldn't compare Roberts journey to a forced march during wartime. Robert was carrying the Queen and all her baggage. Women, children and baggage carts slow a procession down.

20 miles a day isn't unreasonable with a march. Stonewall Jackson marched his army (all foot, not the heavy Calvary that Manderly claims) 25 miles a day at points during his Valley campaighn. So let's settle on 162 miles with marching over 20 miles a day. Manderly could have opposed Victarion in less than 8 days.

If Manderly {double gulp} had over 18K in 300, as your suggesting. I'm sure he had a significant amount in 298. Unless your suggesting in your timeline that Manderly went from, say, 4-5K to over 18K in less than two years. Which I would have a hard time understanding as well, since the Boltons who knew this conflict was coming all along have not increased the size of their army, yet you would be saying the Manderlys increased 3 fold?

In the long run, infantry is faster than cavalry :cool4:. The break-even is after about a week. Yes, Manderly could have opposed Victarion in 8 days, if he pressed it. Fits the one to two weeks estimation I made earlier, doesn't it? But that would mean neglecting rest days. Furthermore, Victarion has still experience and a fortress on his side. To top it off, Manderly was fighting a civil war with Ramsay Snow in the Hornwood lands.

To adress the Boltons, they did increase their army as well. Ramsay did integrate some Hornwood forces into his own. But he lacked the wealth, the flood of refugees (fleeing him btw) and truth to tell, the administrative education.

:agree: I see the most Manderly being able to muster is about 5,000K at most. Maybe more if he is able to convince the Skagosi to join him which I find highly improbable .

Look, in a nutshell, I think the North at full strength has around 45-50k men, of which Manderly has the largest individual component - around 8k. He has lost 2k, but his recruiting efforts will likely gain him far more men than he lost, so I think including his fleet he likely will have in the region of 10k now, including Hornwood and other refugees.

Honestly, if Roose can raise 5k men, there is simply no way that Manderly who rules the only city in the North, and the richest most fertile lands in the North cannot raise close to twice that. Anything less would simply not be logical.

BTW my dream death for Ramsay is for him to live past Roose's death and while he surrounded by Northern lords and realizes they are betraying him. He shouts "I AM LORD BOLTON, PARAMOUNT IF THE NORTH! YOU ALL OBEY ME!" Then Jon approaches him "your nothing but a bastard." And he drives along law through his black heart.

Look, in a nutshell, I think the North at full strength has around 45-50k men, of which Manderly has the largest individual component - around 8k. He has lost 2k, but his recruiting efforts will likely gain him far more men than he lost, so I think including his fleet he likely will have in the region of 10k now, including Hornwood and other refugees.

Honestly, if Roose can raise 5k men, there is simply no way that Manderly who rules the only city in the North, and the richest most fertile lands in the North cannot raise close to twice that. Anything less would simply not be logical.

I could live with that estimate. Anything significantly higher than that I think is a lot of wishful thinking, since we all want Manderly to field an army to crush the Boltons.

BTW my dream death for Ramsay is for him to live past Roose's death and while he surrounded by Northern lords and realizes they are betraying him. He shouts "I AM LORD BOLTON, PARAMOUNT IF THE NORTH! YOU ALL OBEY ME!" Then Jon approaches him "your nothing but a bastard." And he drives along law through his black heart.

:agree:

If Manderly can raise about 10,000 men how much would be land-based and how much would be the navy? I'm thinking it would be about 4000 men for the navy and 6000 for land-based campaigns and operations.

• 8 months later...

I'd say that Manderly has about 2-3k as his city watch and 4-5k levy. Then you would have to add the houses now sworn to him 2-4k. Then you have Boltons troops 4k+1500 Freys and the small guards of the lords of the north 1-2k.But please tell me if you think I might be wrong.

Kings Landing can support a regular City Guard of 2,000 and is significantly larger than White Harbor as well as being richer.

Does it matter? If the knights of White Harbour arrive at battle carrying Stark banners, most of the northmen will join them. Only Boltons and maybe Dustins and Ryswells will oppose them and they'd be outnumbered.

Dustins will surely not support the banner which took part in killing Dustin men at the Twins!

Does it matter? If the knights of White Harbour arrive at battle carrying Stark banners, most of the northmen will join them. Only Boltons and maybe Dustins and Ryswells will oppose them and they'd be outnumbered.

The Karstarks helped Roose at the Red Wedding. Many would still remember how Robb executed their Lord and other Karstark soldiers.

And it's not as simple as you make out. Take the remaining Hornwood Vassals and claimants. Some would see more chance of power and/or greater lands if they supported one side over another.

If Manderly has can raise more than 5000 men I would be suprised, and even more so if he can raise twice that number. But the Winds of Winter will tell us what's going on.

How do you think he mans his tons of war galleys? Besides his cavalry, of course.

Manderly must be around 10,000 men.

If Manderly has can raise more than 5000 men I would be suprised, and even more so if he can raise twice that number. But the Winds of Winter will tell us what's going on.

:agree:

TWOW will give us the right troop numbers, and remember most of the things that we have said is speculation or it's our hopes that Manderly will avenge Robb and all those killed at the red wedding.

Long Live The King In The North!!!

The Karstarks helped Roose at the Red Wedding. Many would still remember how Robb executed their Lord and other Karstark soldiers.

And it's not as simple as you make out. Take the remaining Hornwood Vassals and claimants. Some would see more chance of power and/or greater lands if they supported one side over another.

I forgot about the Karstarks. Agreed, they might take Bolton's side. The ones with Alys probably wouldn't get involved.

The Hornwood claimants I imagine would fight under Stark banners. Ramsay claims the Hornwood lands for himself, so people with better claims will have to oppose him if they want the lands. Plus, the north remembers Lady Hornwood's fingers.

How do you think he mans his tons of war galleys? Besides his cavalry, of course.

Manderly must be around 10,000 men.

The War Galleys that have just been built? Have they even left the Manderly dockyard yet, where would Manderly have acquired so many experienced sailors in such a short time?

Any men he is using to staff the War Galleys takes away from his potential land army.

Archived