GOODKIND V

Werthead

Shocking! In the interview linked to above, Goodkind's interviewer (his editor, isn't it?) says, "How does it feel to be the author of four epic fantasies rather than one?" :o And Goodkind doesn't correct him!

Shouldn't that normally lead to TG pulling out the interviewer's spine through his (the interviewer's) stomach, followed by an explanation of how TG doesn't write fantasy?

Incidentally, if that is his editor, I would want to pull out his spine myself. He's the guy that was ok with lines like In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. after all. It might be that ripping out his spine would be too good a death for him...

I'm calling Wizards First Rule on the last half of that interview, where Terry starts to rant about the ills of our civilization. Most of it is complete garbage that can't be rationally backed-up.

Like this statement

We have raised a generation of feral children and in so doing have abdicated our society's link to civilization. Gangs now have control of many parts of our cities and towns and rule them as feudal empires. While largely uneducated, these people are far from stupid; they manipulate nearly every institution to their purpose. They have beaten us at our own game.

Has he looked at crime stats in America over the past 20 years? The crime rate has dropped in ever year.

The only way half of that rant can be believed is only if you want to believe it.

I'm calling Wizards First Rule on the last half of that interview, where Terry starts to rant about the ills of our civilization. Most of it is complete garbage that can't be rationally backed-up.

Has he looked at crime stats in America over the past 20 years? The crime rate has dropped in ever year.

The only way half of that rant can be believed is only if you want to believe it.

You clearly lack the moral clarity to understand the work of genius produced by someone like Terry Goodkind (Blessed Be His Name, We Love How He Touches Us).

I think you should pray that you never meet someone like Richard Rahl. He'd kick you in the face and break you into little pieces, or possibly pull your spine out through your stomach. Don't you understand that you're part of the problem here? You're choosing to look at things like facts rather that take the word of TG, who is inherently infallible, much like the Seeker.

I do not write books about magic. I write stories about people who just happen to have to deal with magic as one of the factors in their lives, much as we have to deal with the technology in ours. I'm proud of the stories I write; I feel embarrassed by the ignorance of those who don't get it.

It does seem like he strive to write for a select few.

My study of history has taught me that no civilization can endure the kind of self-indulgent destruction of social fabric and family structure we are witnessing.

Sooner or later an enemy will come, as they always do, and they will be ruthless. They will hold a blade to our throats. They will pillage and murder and rape us because we have failed to value the hard won gift of freedom and to honor our responsibility to preserve the flame of its true meaning.

Without any mocking, this guy sounds like someone in need of psychiatric care.

It does seem like strive to write for a select few.

Without any mocking, this guy sounds like someone in need of psychiatric care.

TG really does seem to be all about the raping, though. Which explains a lot about his books, as I understand it. Apparently there is no end to the rape scenes in the books?

Oh, and I have decided that the best way for me to honor Mad Moose's sacrifice is to _not_ read ant SOT books. If I were to read the books, I feel that it would only cheapen his sacrifice. I may ask him to continue his quote of the day postings, however.

TG really does seem to be all about the raping, though. Which explains a lot about his books, as I understand it. Apparently there is no end to the rape scenes in the books?

Oh, and I have decided that the best way for me to honor Mad Moose's sacrifice is to _not_ read ant SOT books. If I were to read the books, I feel that it would only cheapen his sacrifice. I may ask him to continue his quote of the day postings, however.

It really is for the best that you avoid them. Everything you need to read of TG's is right here anyway, the rest is just filler. I'll keep up with the QotD as long as possible. At least until TG stops writing, or these threads get banned (in which case the QotD will move to TTTNE or something), or the guys in white coats finally come to take me away to a cell with padded walls. And that last could happen any day now.

Just go read the first sentence of any of my books and you'll see what I mean. It's hard to read just that one sentence and then stop. You feel almost compelled to read the rest of the first paragraph. As far as I'm concerned, that first moment may be all the time I have to prove to readers that this will be worth their time.

Ok, lets try this:

How much of this blood is his?" a woman asked.

the first line of Chainfire.

well, I'm gripped by the excitement and must read on...

"Most of it, I'm afraid," a second woman said as they both rushed along

beside him.

thrilling stuff eh?

As Richard fought to focus his mind on his need to remain conscious, the

breathless voices sounded to him as if they were coming from some great dim

distance. He wasn't sure who they were. He knew that he knew them, but right

then it just didn't seem to matter.

"I know you, I know I know you. Eton wasn't it?"

maybe the Yearded One's statment is true - the writing does get worse further in:

"Nicci is right, Lord Rahl." Richard couldn't remember Cara ever looking so

dead serious. "You just dreamed it-like you dreamed that you heard a wolf

howl. It sounds like a nice dream-this woman you dreamed you married-but

that's all it is: a dream."

now that's more what we expect from the Yeard All Mighty.

It really is for the best that you avoid them. Everything you need to read of TG's is right here anyway, the rest is just filler. I'll keep up with the QotD as long as possible. At least until TG stops writing, or these threads get banned (in which case the QotD will move to TTTNE or something), or the guys in white coats finally come to take me away to a cell with padded walls. And that last could happen any day now.

What's TTTNE? Or am I displaying such an utter lack of moral clarity in asking that question that you will shortly be forced to hunt me down and kick me in the face and break my jaw? Or is that reserved for little girls?

What's TTTNE? Or am I displaying such an utter lack of moral clarity in asking that question that you will shortly be forced to hunt me down and kick me in the face and break my jaw? Or is that reserved for little girls?

The Thread That Never Ends. It's over in forum games.

The Thread That Never Ends. It's over in forum games.

Yes, and so it's still part of this board, so I'm not altogether sure why you would think you could do the QOTD there if you weren't allowed to do it here?

Yes, and so it's still part of this board, so I'm not altogether sure why you would think you could do the QOTD there if you weren't allowed to do it here?

Well, I'd be extra sneaky about it.

This thread (http://terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1218) is good for a quick laugh.

t seems that the moronic riffraff have the loudest voice. We cannot allow this to continue. We need to support Terry against the people who haven't a clue and only seek to try and ruin a great story for others.

because excellence should be celebrated and defended.

agree, there are some real dorks out there...too be honest...I am a coniessuer of fantasy and SF...Mr. Goodkind ranks tied for second on my all time list of fantasy and SF authors...not to many books can make me tear up...

must say that I was suprised to see so many negative reviews for what I truly thought was an outstanding piece of literature.

For my money, the SoT series in general and Chainfire in particular stand head and shoulders above the vast majority of stuff out there.

Could it possibly be that most of us use a real book store to buy books?

What the fuck? Someone actually claimed Amazon wasn't a real book store? For the Amish maybe, but surely everyone else living in the 21st century would recognise it as a real book store.

What the fuck? Someone actually claimed Amazon wasn't a real book store? For the Amish maybe, but surely everyone else living in the 21st century would recognise it as a real book store.

Well, from the point of view of the gaming industry, for instance, Amazon isn't really a real bookstore, and is technically bad for the industry. Actual gaming stores are what support the industry by providing a location for people to learn about new games, meet people, chat about various things, become exposed to things they might not otherwise be, and so on. Amazon doesn't really do that. This is why, while I will buy some books from Amazon, I do not buy gaming books (by which I mean roleplaying games and such things, incidentally) there, but instead choose to support my local gaming store.

On Robert Jordan's blog someone asked the following, apparently fairly innocuous question:

I always wanted to ask this. did you ever read (even a part of) The Sword of Truth saga by Terry Goodkind. I read WoT and SoT in the same period and i can’t help but see alot of similairities.

Don’t get me wrong, i love both saga’s to death, but i can’t help but think you and Terry sat around a campfire and exchanged notes on your saga’s

Robert Jordan's reply is interesting though. Sounds a bit touchy:

I have never discussed anything whatsoever with Terry Goodkind. I suggest that you check the publication dates of his books and mine. Of course, he says he has never read me, or so I’m told, and I would never contradict a statement like that. Just check out the pub dates on his books, and the pub dates on mine, those that contain the similarities you speak of.

Wonder if he's been asked/accused of this before?

I've read -on several places on the net- interviews or similar where people hinted at references between Wheel of Time vs Sword of Truth. His answers ranged from irritated to casual. I feel sorry for the man in this respect. I used to be a big WOT fan.

Reminds me of the time Terry Pratchett was asked if his 1987 novel Equal Rites was influenced by JK Rowling's 1997 novel Harry Potter and tThe Philosopher's Stone. Pratchett's response was somewhat 'robust', IIRC. :D

Archived