Season 4 Trailer discussion

Ser Hugh BuckweII

I never really got where that idea came from. I can see Grenn fighting against the mutineers or the Wildlings or whatever else they might throw at him but he's just the wrong kind of character to replace Donal Nooye. Locke or Thorne has a lot more depth and they probably both have had more lines then him, they are the obvios choices imo.

I think it was purely down to the fact he is a familiar character who doesn't really have a purpose in the series going forward - that we know of at least.

I agree though, I think Thorne has to be the one to take on the role. Alliser is by no means a good guy but Locke is one step from Joffrey/Ramsay levels of antagonism, I get the feeling the audience would be happy to see him go :lol:

In regards to Theon/Reek, it's probably really fucking hard to make someone look completely unrecognisable without actually torturing them for almost a year.

I could be wrong, but in the book when Ramsey sends Reek to meet with the Ironborn at Moat Cailin, doesn't he send him as Theon to give him more street cred? He re-Reek-ifies himself when he brings the IB back to Ramsey afterwards. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

What I have no recollection of is the scene where it appears that Roose and Ramsey meet. I thought they reunited at the Dreadfort. But either my memory is having a senior moment, or this is a fabricated D&D scene :)

Also, I understand that Theon/Reek can go to Moat Cailin this season, but to have him at Winterfell already seems a little early, n'est-ce pas? I know there's a lot of speculation that it's Theon riding into Winterfell in that one scene, but I feel like this would be happening too early :S

So far as we know, Theon's scenes do not extend beyond the second Reek chapter, and from the look at the trailer, it sure seems they'll be filling in stuff with Ramsay Snow. Dany's material brushes the end of her first chapter in ADwD. Plenty of material left, and nothing at all like the suggestion that they're ending up "deep" into ADwD (or even AFfC, to be honest).

I really hope LF and Varys having a scene together doesn't mean the return of the fabled LF teleportation from Season 2.

I think that takes place, before LF leaves for the Vale with Sansa.

Personally watching this sent shivers down my spine-especially when Cersei tells Tywin,

"I will burn our house to the ground before I let that happen!"

Oh, Tywin, you have no idea...

I don't think Thorne is necessarily going to be Noye just because he's giving a speech. The guy is a huge jerk but that doesn't mean he's not going to fight for the night's watch against the wildlings. It's not like he's a cartoon villain who will just cower away. Even the jerks on the walls' lives are on the line too.

People need to stop complaining about the creative liberties the show takes. They are two different entities. If you can accept that then you'll be fine. The show on its own is excellent. GRRM is not the be all end all. The show has added some great things including the Arya-Tywin arc. If I wanted it to be an exact replica of the book I wouldn't watch because I have in my own mind how everything is. If I knew what was coming every scene I probably wouldn't enjoy the show as much. Also for all the complaints about the Oberyn acrobatics you need to do a reread. He was athletic and somewhat acrobatic. Thats the whole point of being talented with a spear. If you straight up fought someone who was great with a sword and you had a spear you would lose. The advantage of a spear is that it helps someone with quickness and agility to make fast movements and use quickness to their advantage. Book purists really need to get over themselves. Either don't watch or quit complaining.

The Arya/Tywin stuff was ill-conceived though because Roose needed that screentime more. And now he's underdeveloped in the show because of it.

Tywin was underdeveloped in the books so I think it balances out. While I love Roose, Tywin got zero love. The story arc made him seem fairer and more logical.

I thought we had a good idea of Tywin from the books. But I watched the show first so it's hard to judge because my views are clouded by my initial viewing of the first three seasons. So I probably filled in a lot from the show that wasn't there.

But other than that I agree with you that there should be differences because there's different mediums and not everything that works in a book will work on screen. But I do hope they make Theon look a little more ragged than that and that's just him being cleaned up to look presentable.

Oberyn looks fine to me but I'm not too keen on the mustache.

The Arya/Tywin stuff was ill-conceived though because Roose needed that screentime more. And now he's underdeveloped in the show because of it.

I think it would be hard for the Unsullied to understand exactly why Arya wouldn't identify herself to another Northern Lord. Her rational largely comes from internal monologue,and perhaps even if she were to explain to Gendry why she mistrusted Roose, it could have maybe tipped off his deceitful ways

I think your getting a little confused on how developed book Roose was during the first 3 books. We got a picture of him as a mysterious, cold, cunning man but not much more in terms of character development until ADWD. The show did a decent job of making non readers feel fidgety about Roose, which is the goal.

Tywin was underdeveloped in the books so I think it balances out. While I love Roose, Tywin got zero love. The story arc made him seem fairer and more logical.

I suspect Roose will get more justice done him, once we get to the events of DwD, on the show. Or probably even after Tywin's death. Though, I did think the scene where he meets Jaime and Brienne and Harrenhaal and emotionally tortures Jaime was a pure gold.

The action scenes with Oznak zo Pahl on the charger and Red Viper twirling with his spear/staff were the highlights for me. I liked the glimpse of Jaime getting his new hand, handling Oathkeeper, and trying to counsel Joffrey. We haven't seen any interaction between the two of these characters before. I'm hoping we get more insight into what's happening with Stannis in the next teaser. He is after all, The Mannis.

I can't wait for this new season. :drool:

Archived