Which side would you choose in RR, knowing what you know now.

And seeing what results from RR like TWot5K than I will always say Targaryen

There isn't anything that would ensure there wouldn't be an equal civil war later on if Rhaegar had won, especially if he did have two legitimate sons from two different mothers from different great houses. Quite frankly, it could just be the Blackfyre Rebellions all over.

There isn't anything that would ensure there wouldn't be an equal civil war later on if Rhaegar had won, especially if he did have two legitimate sons from two different mothers from different great houses. Quite frankly, it could just be the Blackfyre Rebellions all over.

Yup. Then I wonder whose side some people(fans) would choose especially when they are claiming the Targaryens were the rightful rulers. The rightful heir's and eldest, Aegon or Lyanna's child? How honorable would the Starks and the North be if they tried to steal Aegon's inheritance to seat Lyanna's child on the throne.

Yup. Then I wonder whose side some people(fans) would choose especially when they are claiming the Targaryens were the rightful rulers. The rightful heir's and eldest, Aegon or Lyanna's child? How honorable would the Starks and the North be if they tried to steal Aegon's inheritance to seat Lyanna's child on the throne.

Aegon, the elder. Being the eldest makes him the heir without question. The fact that he has a younger brother by a different mother is no more significant than if he had a younger brother by the same mother. The Starks wouldn't do such a thing, they're too honorable. Even if they wanted to, due to Aegon's Targaryen features, they couldn't make a plausible argument that Aegon wasn't really his father's son like Daemon Blackfyre's supporters did with Daeron II. Jon would only become heir if Aegon died.

Anyway, I would side with the Targaryens IF Rhaegar put Aerys into enforced retirement and pardoned Ned, Jon Arryn and the Tullys.

I'm on team Bob.

This is a good point. Polygamy could be an extremely dangerous thing, and things could turn sour fast.

The Starks wouldn't do such a thing, they're too honorable.

What's stopping an ambitious Northern lord from convincing Jon(who's name probably won't be Jon) to press his claim after Rhaegar's death? It would be well known that Lyanna is the favorite wife at court, and as such, she'd probably have more influence than Elia. What if Aegon is considered "weak"? Any lord could use the logic of favorite son=heir, just like in the first Blackfyre rebellion.

I don't think there would have been and yes a redux of a Blackfyre rebellion could have happened but I doubt the repercussions of that war would have been on the same level as TWot5Ks

And I still say everybody who had a hand in TWot5Ks was just as horrible as Aerys that's why the damage is so extensive in TWot5Ks

Aegon, the elder. Being the eldest makes him the heir without question. The fact that he has a younger brother by a different mother is no more significant than if he had a younger brother by the same mother. The Starks wouldn't do such a thing, they're too honorable. Even if they wanted to, due to Aegon's Targaryen features, they couldn't make a plausible argument that Aegon wasn't really his father's son like Daemon Blackfyre's supporters did with Daeron II. Jon would only become heir if Aegon died.

Anyway, I would side with the Targaryens IF Rhaegar put Aerys into enforced retirement and pardoned Ned, Jon Arryn and the Tullys.

No one is above power grabs. Anyway maybe Ned is, but what about Rickard or Brandon or Lyanna. Lyanna is potentially ruining her life. What if life as Rhaegar's second wife and Queen wasn't all she thought it would be and people hate her but have to play nice. She couldn't keep Rhaegar from always being moody. Isn't possible that she could see her child being King as a consolation price for what she went through?

Truthfully, Lyanna could possibly be dead. They were gone for months even with a war about and the only reason that Rhaegar did come out was because Gerold Hightower found them. So it stands to reason, they would have stayed holed up there for a long time even after a baby's birth. She could have still died the same way.

I don't see why the Small Folk would be any happier under Aerys then Robert as Robert's reign was mostly peaceful besides one brief rebellion. Honestly, the only thing that Robert really screwed up with was his loose finances which the Small Folk likely had little idea about besides them knowing that Robert held a lot of tournaments and festivals (which they probably enjoyed).

Wasn't it said at one point that people used to cheer much more for Aerys than for Robert?

Aerys was insane and contemplated blowing up his own city. I'd never support something like that.

The long term Targ habit of marrying their siblings makes me think there's certainly more madness in that pipeline. Their DNA must be pretty disturbing. So even if you managed to support them and get rid of Aerys, you'd still be lining up more of the same for the people of Westeros somewhere down the line.

Rebel or neutral, depending on who I was and how I was placed.

The rebels, although Aerys would have to go and the houses who didn't choose sides would have to be punished. Picking the wrong side isn't as bad as trying to wait until the last moment then jumping onboard with the winner. Anyone who does that can't be trusted. There is something to be said for loyalty, even loyalty for the wrong person. The houses who sided with the Targs could be forgiven, not picking a side in such an important war shows a lack of character.

Being a pig>Being crazy.

At least the throne didn't cut Robert ;)

At least Aerys actually did run the realm and was considered a good King until he was kidnapped. And we don't know if the throne cut Robert he would actually have to act like a King and sit in it for him to get cut.

Still like in my previous post I still say everybody who had a hand in TWot5K(Robert also)was worst than Aerys in their own way

At least Aerys actually did run the realm and was considered a good King until he was kidnapped. And we don't know if the throne cut Robert he would actually have to act like a King and sit in it for him to get cut.

Still like in my previous post I still say everybody who had a hand in TWot5K(Robert also)was worst than Aerys in their own way

Aerys' reign had promise, and he might have been a good king, had he not been overshadowed by his Hand the entire time. Tywin was widely considered to be the real man administering the realm. Information is limited, but from all we have we can gather that Tywin was the true ruler (Stannis even thought he looked like he should be King)

As to those that started the WoFK, I doubt all of them were were than Aerys. Ned had quite a role in starting the war, intentional or not. One would have to be crazy to say he was worse than Aerys in any way.

Archived