Let's try to figure it out: why is Dorkstar important?

joluoto2

Well, we don't know who Rhaegar's squire was at the time, and Dorkstar might have been of the right age (though this is stretching it a bit. Isn't Dorkstar supposed to be in his late 20s Then he might have been too young to be a squire during RR). That would mean Dorkstar know what happened until the momen Rhaegar left, and Dorkstar of course followed. It's somewhat plausible.

Unfortunately it seems Kingsguard members don't have squires. It would probably make more sense if Dorkstar as a member of the Dayne Cadet branch squired for a member of the main branch.

I think its a pertinent observation that KG don't seem to have Squires, yet it would seem that they do at times as Jamie has Lewys Piper & Garret Paege as Squires when he goes into the Riverlands, and yes I guess Rhaegar should have had a new Squire seeing as both previous ones are accounted for as either having been knighted or being dead. Gerold Dayne is only described as late 20's so somewhere between 27 & 29. Placing him at between 10 & 12 at the ToJ. We know that 12 is an acceptable age for a Squire as Ned Dayne is 12 in ASOS by which point he has been Beric's Squire for at least a bit over a year as AGOT begins in 298 and we meet him in ASOS which is set in the last months of 299 puting him at likely 10 but at least 11 when he and Beric set out, presuming he has been squiring for Beric a short while AT LEAST before Ned Stark sends him to see to Clegane. It is safe to ssay a 10 yr old Ned Dayne began his Squire ship with Beric. So its totally feasable that a 10-12 yr old Gerold could have been a Squire.

I think its a pertinent observation that KG don't seem to have Squires, yet it would seem that they do at times as Jamie has Lewys Piper & Garret Paege as Squires when he goes into the Riverlands, and yes I guess Rhaegar should have had a new Squire seeing as both previous ones are accounted for as either having been knighted or being dead. Gerold Dayne is only described as late 20's so somewhere between 27 & 29. Placing him at between 10 & 12 at the ToJ. We know that 12 is an acceptable age for a Squire as Ned Dayne is 12 in ASOS by which point he has been Beric's Squire for at least a bit over a year as AGOT begins in 298 and we meet him in ASOS which is set in the last months of 299 puting him at likely 10 but at least 11 when he and Beric set out, presuming he has been squiring for Beric a short while AT LEAST before Ned Stark sends him to see to Clegane. It is safe to ssay a 10 yr old Ned Dayne began his Squire ship with Beric. So its totally feasable that a 10-12 yr old Gerold could have been a Squire.

I like the idea that Darkstar is dangerous because of something he knows, not because of something he might do. But even if he knew Lyanna was pregnant, and had a baby, etc., why would that make him dangerous? So Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna and had a bastard child with her... So what? How would that interfere with Doran's plans?

I like the idea that Darkstar is dangerous because of something he knows, not because of something he might do. But even if he knew Lyanna was pregnant, and had a baby, etc., why would that make him dangerous? So Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna and had a bastard child with her... So what? How would that interfere with Doran's plans?

We must also consider it's Oberyn who think ser Gerold is dangerous. Why would Oberyn think that? If Darkstar was witness to ToJ it's plausible Oberyn could have got the truth out of him one way or another. But why would it be relevant now? For the Martels Jon's true identoty means nothing except a reminder of Rhaegar abandoning Elia.

Well, he could always know some different secret, perhaps related to Ashara. The events at the ToJ are also hardly set in stone already, maybe Jon has nothing to do with it afterall, maybe there wasn't any real battle and some of the supposedly deceased are still alive. How any of these would affect the Martells and the future of Dorne is a mystery to me, but the possibilities are plenty and I like the idea of Darkstar being the keeper of a dangerous secret.

You forgot to mention Dany is fake too, that red door she keeps dreaming about is from the house she grew up in before they swapped her for the real Dany.

No. That's completely crackpot.

The girl we know of as Dany remembers a lemon tree outside her house when growing up. The real Dany grew up in Braavos, a city without trees and with a climate too cold to grow citrus.

Yes, it sounds crackpot as hell, but if you go back to the descriptions of Braavos in AFFC, George makes a point of telling us there are no lemon trees in Braavos.

Unfortunately it seems Kingsguard members don't have squires. It would probably make more sense if Dorkstar as a member of the Dayne Cadet branch squired for a member of the main branch.

They don't have permanent squires, but Jaime takes two squires with him into the Riverlands, so it would seem that they sometimes take ad hoc squires as needed for special missions that take them outside of Kings Landing.

The girl we know of as Dany remembers a lemon tree outside her house when growing up. The real Dany grew up in Braavos, a city without trees and with a climate too cold to grow citrus.

Yes, it sounds crackpot as hell, but if you go back to the descriptions of Braavos in AFFC, George makes a point of telling us there are no lemon trees in Braavos.

That might just mean that she didn't actually grow up in Braavos, or at least that she didn't spend all the time there. It does not mean that Dany isn't Dany.

But my point with my theory that Darkstar is actually Viserys was to show to what depths of absurdity we get when we start systematically doubting people are who they seem to be.

But my point with my theory that Darkstar is actually Viserys was to show to what depths of absurdity we get when we start systematically doubting people are who they seem to be.

It was a great point. I laughed when I read it.

If the five year gap was in place then Ned Dayne would have plenty of time to win tourneys and earn the title "sword of the morning".

Now he can't do that so the best way to have him earn the title is by a one off heroic act such as killing a child-scarring, "most dangerous man in Dorne" style swordsman.

Darkstar exists to be killed by little Ned.

He is a poser who not only attempted to murder a child (an act so vile and despicable in itself) but he FAILED to actually kill her. It shows his incompetences and I hope Balon Swann slays the blight on the honor of House Dayne.

Archived