Why did Ned burn the TOJ to ashes?

Mummers Dragon

It was stone, he didn't burn it. He tore it down to make cairns for the people who died there.

:agree:

It would have to be his grandfather, for Jory’s father was buried far to the south. Martyn Cassel

had perished with the rest. Ned had pulled the tower down afterward, and used its bloody stones

to build eight cairns upon the ridge. It was said that Rhaegar had named that place the tower of

joy, but for Ned it was a bitter memory. They had been seven against three, yet only two had

lived to ride away; Eddard Stark himself and the little crannogman, Howland Reed. He did not

think it omened well that he should dream that dream again after so many years.

It has always been my belief that he pulled down so there would be no reason for anyone to go looking for it. The tower was destroyed and the most valuable item there (Dawn) was returned to Starfall, so why would anyone want/need to look for it? I think it was to conseal something.

It has always been my belief that he pulled down so there would be no reason for anyone to go looking for it. The tower was destroyed and the most valuable item there (Dawn) was returned to Starfall, so why would anyone want/need to look for it? I think it was to conseal something.

agree, the what was concealed is the real question. like most, I believe it has to do with Jon Snow and the identity of his real parents

It seems to me that a Tower that could house at least 3 men and 1 woman for over a year is not just a small shack. There are several theories that other people were there as well... household staff and such.

Lyanna seemed to have been in an upper story, and there was likely a top story with observation deck. So it had to be at least three stories, but likely more than that, to hold so many people and supplies, and also because it was a watchtower. They are normally built tall for observation purposes, there is really no use in making a short one.

Even if it was 3 stories tall, that's a huge amount of materials for 2 men to tear down all alone, and it's wayyyy too much material to only build 8 cairns.

There is a lot about that story I just don't buy.

Even if it was 3 stories tall, that's a huge amount of materials for 2 men to tear down all alone, and it's wayyyy too much material to only build 8 cairns.

There is a lot about that story I just don't buy.

A dozen or so horses probably help...

It seems to me that a Tower that could house at least 3 men and 1 woman for over a year is not just a small shack. There are several theories that other people were there as well... household staff and such.

Y'know, the main reason why I think it was a tower in name only, is that it would've be too risky (not only for Ned, also for Rhaegar) if the tower had been bigger. What's the point in disappearing and hiding out in Dorne if you need *household* staff?

...but would still be an almost Herculean task

Only because you've built it up in your head. Its old, has been long abandoned, and significant parts of it could well be crumbling. That wouldn't prevent enough of it being habitable to make it a viable hideout.

Nor is it necessary that Ned completely demolished it. Just enough so that it is no longer a 'tower' nor habitable.

Nor would Ned most likely be entirely a novice at military engineering. As the son of a great lord he'd likely have some basic training on the construction (and demolition) of such structures, especially their strengths and weaknesses.

It need not be that hard, given a bunch of horses for the horsepower required.

Y'know, the main reason why I think it was a tower in name only, is that it would've be too risky (not only for Ned, also for Rhaegar) if the tower had been bigger. What's the point in disappearing and hiding out in Dorne if you need *household* staff?

I tend to agree. I think they were able to pull it down with horses (assuming none died in the fighting, they could have had 10 of them or more) and I don't think there were many people there: the Kingsguard, Lyanna and probably Wylla. It totally defeats the purpose of hiding out if you have a full entourage.

As for why Ned pulled it down, possible reasons:

1. It's painful and holds bad memories.

2. It's evidence that he wants to get rid of.

3. He has eight corpses that need to be buried and it's easier to build stone cairns than try to dig graves for all eight.

Uhhhh, to say hell no to the future that someone was trying to build there. We're not doing things your way, and to illustrate this I'm tearing down the building which housed your particular dream for the future. Because it's something that can never be, should never be. Damn it! (Damn it added for emphasis).

ToJ is Neds only act that leaves me not in awe of his honor/sacrifice. The promise aside, how do you leave the bones of those who fought Aerys KG in Dorne. They deserved to be laid to rest in the North.

It's not uncommon or unusual to bury soldiers where they die. Look at all the Civil War graveyards in the U.S., or the U.S. soldiers buried in France.

Archived