Line of sucession

LordImp

In terms of Targaryen succession, after Aegon and Jon (if true) then the more difficult decision, and one I don't think can be sufficiently answered given Martin's blurring of succession laws, would be a controversy between Dany and Stannis. Who's to say how the Targs would have handled this had this occurred under their reign? For no Targ female has inherited the throne yet no male as far removed from the main line as Stannis has either, let alone from a female line.

Exactly, but I operate under the assumption that when we start tracing back Baratheon line there will be someone with a bit of blood BEFORE we get all the way back to the Conquest and hence start tracing the Targaryen line due to Orys being half-brother (bastard) of Aegon the conqueror.

There would be no controversy. Daenerys would inherit.

Source please? We're at least operating under assumption that a distinctly feudal setting follows it's own rules.

Exactly, but I operate under the assumption that when we start tracing back Baratheon line there will be someone with a bit of blood BEFORE we get all the way back to the Conquest and hence start tracing the Targaryen line due to Orys being half-brother (bastard) of Aegon the conqueror.

Source please? We're at least operating under assumption that a distinctly feudal setting follows it's own rules.

Although I can't be 100% sure the very fact that Ser Barristan who upon finding out that Viserys Targaryen was dead didn't than turn around from Pentos and make the short sail to Dragonstone to serve Stannis but instead went half way around the world to find Daenerys tells me that she was next in line for the Targaryen throne.

Also, I find it hard to believe that a House who likes to keep bloodlines "pure" would pass over a king's daughter in favor of a relative from another House who just happens to be descended from a more distant female line.

Although I can't be 100% sure the very fact that Ser Barristan who upon finding out that Viserys Targaryen was dead didn't than turn around from Pentos and make the short sail to Dragonstone to serve Stannis but instead went half way around the world to find Daenerys tells me that she was next in line for the Targaryen throne.

Also, I find it hard to believe that a House who likes to keep bloodlines "pure" would pass over a king's daughter in favor of a relative from another House who just happens to be descended from a more distant female line.

Right, and Stannis is asserting his claim to the Baratheon throne. The question of Targ succession is merely an academic one since it is a deposed dynasty. A Dany vs.Stannis controversy over a Targ claim is a hypothetical since it will never arise in the text. I deem Barristan and Dany's other supporters as those taking actions to restore the Targ dynasty, as that is how it would be seen from the vantage point of those currently sitting on the IT or making competing claims ala Stannis.

Myrcella is the heir of Tommen , but who comes after Myrcella?

Stannis :D

And then some Baratheon uncle, probably a house from the Stormlands -- techically the kingship comes from Robert. BUT if they're going by relationship to a Targaryen, still repeating that King Bob got the throne because of his grandmother Rhaella, THEN the throne goes to the next House with Targ blood.

Guess who?

Doran Martell.

Imagine it. If Tommen, Mycella, Stannis, Shireen, Dornan, Arianne, Quentyn and Tristane all died before ASOS we would have had the Red Viper as king of the Seven Kingdoms.

Just imagine...

There's no "Targaryen" throne at the beginning of the series. The Targaryens lost the throne and it will not pass over to them peacefully again. For all intents and purposes the Baratheons have, and always will be the rightful monarchs of Westeros... until they all die out, or someone else overthrows them.

Agnatic Primogeniture is a **** that way. :) Though as noted, there's no king to pass on any throne.

There's no "Targaryen" throne at the beginning of the series. The Targaryens lost the throne and it will not pass over to them peacefully again. For all intents and purposes the Baratheons have, and always will be the rightful monarchs of Westeros... until they all die out, or someone else overthrows them.

Agnatic Primogeniture is a **** that way. :) Though as noted, there's no king to pass on any throne.

The question that was asked was how the Targaryens would have handled if they were still in power it if it came down to Dany and Stannis. That was the hypothetical I was responding to and in my mind Barristan answers it by not even looking tiwce at Dragonstone to look for Viserys's heir.

I agree it is a moot point now.

Do any of the Lannisters have a claim to the throne? If Myrcella, Tommen, Stannis and Shireen die, would any other Lannisters (e.g. Jaime or Tyrion) have a claim by being blood relative to the queen. I'm not sure about Westerosi law, but I know in some cases in Medieval times where in the absence of children someone related to the queen's family inherited the throne. Some of the Lannisters might have a better claim than any non-Baratheon.

Also Edric Storm is a Baratheon bastard, and could be legitimized, so he might technically be in line after STannis' family, but there probably will not be that much support behind him vs another contender like a Targaryen. I'm not sure if any other Lannisters/Edric Storm are legitimate candidates for the throne, but seems like no one has rought upthose possibilities yet.

Do any of the Lannisters have a claim to the throne? If Myrcella, Tommen, Stannis and Shireen die, would any other Lannisters (e.g. Jaime or Tyrion) have a claim by being blood relative to the queen. I'm not sure about Westerosi law, but I know in some cases in Medieval times where in the absence of children someone related to the queen's family inherited the throne. Some of the Lannisters might have a better claim than any non-Baratheon.

IMO you answered yourself about Edric - and nope, the Lannister have no claims whatsoever. Of course, with Stannis being the alternative, they'd just say 'fuck law' and buy the throne with gold and alliances.

after myrcella, the options would be legitimizing edric, then seeking out uncles or male cousins. i don't believe women can rule after reading the princess novella but if they can, then mya stone would also be in the running. i've said before how ironic it is that stannis would have probably been crowned if he hadn't sought the crown but since he rebelled, he is not in the line up anymore.

I belive Stannis is inheriated , the same with Shireen. But what about Lancel and Martyn Lannister? , they are close relatives to Tommen.

it has to be relations on their "father's" side and by that i mean robert not jaime. a lannister relative cannot sit on the throne, only a baratheon relative. it would be ironic if a targaryen claimed it using the same common "baratheon/targaryen" ancestor that robert used to legitimize his seizing the throne.

it has to be relations on their "father's" side and by that i mean robert not jaime. a lannister relative cannot sit on the throne, only a baratheon relative. it would be ironic if a targaryen claimed it using the same common "baratheon/targaryen" ancestor that robert used to legitimize his seizing the throne.

I keep telling you, the Martells! :D Who wouldn't want to see King Oberyn, First of His Name?

Archived