Would Tywin have accepted it?

Eddard Slark

Right before the red wedding, circa around the time that Robb had Lord Karstark executed, do you think that Tywin would have accepted a surrender and or peace negotiations with Robb? At this point you can assume that all of the plans for the RW are firmly in place, and that the preparations have already been made. Would Tywin have accepted the surrender from Robb, or would he have gone all Rains of Castamere on his ass anyway just to prove a point?

If the RW plans were already in place he wouldn't have accepted a surrender (Not that Robb would have surrendered anyway) from Robb. Tywin would say he would have accepted but the truth is much more obvious. His pride was stung. Robb made him look weak and Tywin would have went ahead with the RW anyway to nurse his wounded pride, but he'd have hidden the fact that Robb wanted a peaceful resolution from everyone. Either that or he would have let the Freys and the Boltons do his dirty work and if anybody found out about the peace offer he'd have dropped the hammer on both families in an attempt to keep his hands clean.

If the RW plans were already in place he wouldn't have accepted a surrender (Not that Robb would have surrendered anyway) from Robb. Tywin would say he would have accepted but the truth is much more obvious. His pride was stung. Robb made him look weak and Tywin would have went ahead with the RW anyway to nurse his wounded pride, but he'd have hidden the fact that Robb wanted a peaceful resolution from everyone. Either that or he would have let the Freys and the Boltons do his dirty work and if anybody found out about the peace offer he'd have dropped the hammer on both families in an attempt to keep his hands clean.

:agree:

If Tywin believed or suspected that Robb had found out about the Red Wedding plot, he might have accepted his surrender rather than try to finish him in formal battle (even with very inferior numbers Robb could do a lot of damage); but if he felt reasonably sure that Robb didn't know, he probably would have refused and sent Robb walking into his trap.

Question is also exactly whe. Does Tywin still believe Jamie to be in Robb's hands,? If he thinks Jaime is still a prisoner then yes. Moreover, if Robb surrenders Tywin does not need to give the Freys or Bolton's anything. Tywin is a schemer but he does not kill for the hell of it.

Why wouldn't he ? Tywin wants to create a new Lannister dynasty. Antagonizing the North would not help in long term, so yes if he could Tywin would have peace talks. I'm sure if Tywin wouod redo the sack of King's landing he would not kill Elia too.

Nope, just to prove a point.

I agree

Question is also exactly whe. Does Tywin still believe Jamie to be in Robb's hands,? If he thinks Jaime is still a prisoner then yes. Moreover, if Robb surrenders Tywin does not need to give the Freys or Bolton's anything. Tywin is a schemer but he does not kill for the hell of it.

he basicly counts captured the same as dead

I think he would, but Robb would probably be exiled or sent to the Wall, at the least stripped of his titles and such.

Maybe not, I could see Tywin leving a penalty in dragons and maybe a hostage, but Robb could still be Lord of the North.

Maybe not, I could see Tywin leving a penalty in dragons and maybe a hostage, but Robb could still be Lord of the North.

Tywin already has the only Stark hostage Robb could give him, leaving Robb in charge of the North would be too much a risk.

Yes, I think he would have. He tells Joffrey that when your enemies bend, you have to help them back to their feet. A hostage would probably be kept in K.L. The real point of the Red Wedding was to end the war faster and with far fewer Lannister casualties.

IT has nothing to do with wounded pride. It's just realpolitik. The North is far too defensible to leave in the hands of a rebellious lord with a still-large army.

Tywin wants to be able to control all seven kingdoms. While accepting peace talks would mean he wouldn't have to deal with any further trouble from Robb, The North and its people would still be well and truly in Robb's hands. I think the Red Wedding would have happened regardless once it had been planned.

Whilst Tywin does mention helping those who bend the knee back up I don't think this would apply to Robb. Would he let Robb go back to the North to kick out the Ironborn? Probably not as once Robb is back North with a large part of his initial army he is once again dangerous and he might decide to rebel again like Balon or support Stannis or another claimant for the Iron Throne down the line. He wouldn't take that risk not when the RW has been set up.

The only way I can see it working is if Robb becomes a hostage at KIngs Landing and Sansa and Tyrion take over the lordship of the north. Robb would be taken away from his wife preventing him from having an heir meaning Sansa and Tyrion's child would get the north anyway. He might see that as easier than the RW, Bolton plan but I doubt it.

Archived