NBC's Hannibal II: A Hollow Drumming of Wings [SPOILERS]

Anatúrinbor

For all his derpiness, Chilton made a good point about some people finding saving lives as arousing as ending them. For Hannibal he could've let her die with no problem, but there was some satisfaction in dragging her back from the precipice too. I love that slightly-amused eagle-look of his when Bella passed out.

He could have let her die, but so what? He wouldn't have been the one killing her, he wouldn't have been the one who created the situation...to the contrary, he, his presence, even his office, were all merely accessories to Bella's plan. His resistance to that doesn't seem odd at all.

He could have let her die, but so what? He wouldn't have been the one killing her, he wouldn't have been the one who created the situation...to the contrary, he, his presence, even his office, were all merely accessories to Bella's plan. His resistance to that doesn't seem odd at all.

He did help her reach the conclusion that death was a release so he could claim the death. He probably doesn't get the same kick but it does fit in very well with his behaviour in the books where he pushes others to commit crimes against others/themselves.

He did help her reach the conclusion that death was a release so he could claim the death. He probably doesn't get the same kick but it does fit in very well with his behaviour in the books where he pushes others to commit crimes against others/themselves.

It was like a softer version of that SOTL bit where Hannibal gets the asshole crazy guy to swallow his tongue after disrespecting Clarice. One could say he has Mads skillz.

I doubt he'd want to eat someone undergoing chemo...out of curiosity, would cannibalizing a chemo patient possibly contaminate you? I don't know enough about chemotherapy.

Sorry, coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Are you saying he didn't like getting made into an accessory?

Not sure if he didn't like it, per se, just that this was not how he usually does things*. He couldn't get whatever it is he gets from his usual kills from this, because this wasn't under his control the way his murders are. Also, yeah, I thought there was something really funny in her kind of showing up, all calm, "yeah, I figured this would be a good place to die. Y'know, I couldn't do that to my husband, but you're cool and there's nothing I want more to be the last thing I see on earth than the unspeakable perfection of the geometry of the checks on your exquisite suit."

*I've never read the books or even seen the movies. This show is my sum total of Hannibal canon. Apparently, as someone mentioned upthread, his manipulative streak shows even more in the books, including manipulating people into killing themselves, which puts his actions with Bella in a slightly different light.

It was like a softer version of that SOTL bit where Hannibal gets the asshole crazy guy to swallow his tongue after disrespecting Clarice. One could say he has Mads skillz.

I doubt he'd want to eat someone undergoing chemo...out of curiosity, would cannibalizing a chemo patient possibly contaminate you? I don't know enough about chemotherapy.

Sorry, coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Are you saying he didn't like getting made into an accessory?

Good question on the chemotherapy thing. I guess it isn't something that crops up in the health and safety manuals :)

I guess it depends on the concentration or which part of the body you eat. At a guess the liver, then Kidney may hold the highest concentration of chemicals as the liver is where most of it is broken down. I guess it would be a bad idea to make black pudding from someone recently treated.

If it was radiation therapy it would depend on the half-life of the radioactive material (after a certain amount of time the radiation effectively disappears). The damage both treatments cause to the body though probably means it wouldn't be that tasty.

On the whole I think Hannibal would indeed avoid eating said individual much like you wouldn't eat a cow that had something wrong with it.

Probably one of the more bizarre thought processes I've posted...

Wasn't there a dinner scene in which Hannibal stated that he could smell disease, such as cancer? I thought he said it to indicate to Bella he knew she was sick (and she didn't eat her dinner).

If he can smell it, I doubt he would want to eat it.

That doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean.

Who cares about an earthquake when

Hannibal's getting his shit wrecked by some clown who strung him up like a Sam Winchester cosplay?

So happy Lowndes is back!

I was confused about Gideon for a minute though, due to the recast. Eddie Izzard was busy or something? I half-expected Will to be "Chilton you asshat, is that some cousin you have dirt on or something?"

Also, next ep--

is Alana tapping the Hannibooty?

Will: You need to make your own connection to the Ripper, Jack.

NO.

Go to hell writers. You wrote yourselves into this hole. You created a situation where Will and Chilton's tapes can create enough doubt to make Jack suspicious when you could have kept the straw that broke the camel's back around inside of dissecting it. This is on you. So write yourselves out with some dignity. Fuck these cliched "can't spit it out" delaying tactics. Figure it out.

That said...good episode.

I was confused about Gideon for a minute though, due to the recast. Eddie Izzard was busy or something? I half-expected Will to be "Chilton you asshat, is that some cousin you have dirt on or something?"

Eh? It was Eddie Izzard.

I was confused because there was no indication that Will hadn't killed him in his last appearance iirc, and I'd assumed his return was going to be in Will's mind. But eh, he's always welcome.

It was strange

to see Hannibal vulnerable for a change.

Also surprising that Freddie Lounds is still alive, given how persisently and deliberately rude she is to Hannibal's face. Maybe he admires her chutzpah. I like the character - she spends most of her time being a typical amoral reporter caricature, but she's had plenty of moments where she shows basic human decency behind that.

I did wonder why Hannibal displayed Beverley in a way he didn't Miriam Lass or Abigail, but then I realised- they discovered him by accident (or in Abigail's case through his own design). Beverley, on the other hand, had the unthinkable affrontery to break into his house. Although she did seem to be one of the few victims that wasn't alive when he took her apart.

I'm also starting to have my doubts that the fight scene with Jack and Hannibal will be in the finale, they seem to be moving too fast (and since season 1 certainly wasn't on a real-time week-by-week scale, there's no reason to believe this one is either). Like Castel says, it's already stretching credibility that Jack doesn't at least have doubts and Will isn't pushing them for all he's worth.

(spoiler for the next episode, from the preview)

Although there is a chance that the food Hannibal gives Jack to take home isn't human, and that assuages his doubts temporarily. Else it will almost certainly have to happen the episode after.

And yeah, Alana's getting some of that Mads Mikkelsen action. Unless it's another Will's-mind-going-crazy thing. Even with her disbelief of Will's accusations it seems an odd betrayal.

I was surprised to see Hannibal punked so easily - interesting to see him vulnerable. I wonder how he'll feel about this? Last week's promos pissed on what would have been a complete surprise for me with the killer.

I found it odd there weren't any scenes with Hannibal reacting to Beverly's death? Seemed like a missed opportunity.

The preparation of the kidney's really turned my stomach this week, I guess it has more impact when you know the character who they belonged to.

I actually enjoyed the orderly. I loved that he was determined to kick that bucket.

Jack's reaction to Bloom just standing there with her mouth on the floor was great.

I guess Beverly ended up being some kind of ground kidney patty? Hannibal doesn't like bulgogi. Her dissection was very hard to look at but even harder to figure out how he put it all together. Does he have human display cases just hanging around in storage or what?

Archived