EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

They direct one episode each season... and they write more than half.

Yeah, I was a little sloppy with my numbers, but my point is they don't have to maintain the pace they are working at currently. If HBO is willing to go 8 seasons they could continue with GOT in a reduced capacity while working on other things.

I wonder if HBO would consider extra episodes for the final season. One of the reasons they're limited to 10 episodes per season right now is that they need to film, edit, and then turn around to start all over again for the next season. For the final season they won't need to be ready to film again the next July so they'd have the time, all they need is the money.

Off-topic: http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-season-4-alex-graves-interview/#wejOujGM56sdxS51.99

Alex Graves: "Yeah, there's a battle in the tenth episode that is so VFX heavy and so complex, even on a feature level, that won't be done until June right before it airs."

Wow. There was separate news a few weeks ago about there being the biggest dollars-per-second scene they've done yet later in the season. These must be the same scene. But what can it be?

Hm... stretching the battle of the Wall into episode 10 would be too much, I think, so my first thought was Drogon in the fighting pit. Yes, it's far into ADWD territory, but then again Dany will have arrived in Mereen by episode 4, XXD is dead, so his part of Dany's storyline will probably be cut, Hizdahr has been cast and if D&D get Dany stuck in Mereen for a full season or more, they are really going to piss off a huge part of their audience.

I guess we'll wait until we get more information on ep. 10 (title and/or synopsis) to make a truly good guess.

Hm... stretching the battle of the Wall into episode 10 would be too much, I think, so my first thought was Drogon in the fighting pit. Yes, it's far into ADWD territory, but then again Dany will have arrived in Mereen by episode 4, XXD is dead, so his part of Dany's storyline will probably be cut, Hizdahr has been cast and if D&D get Dany stuck in Mereen for a full season or more, they are really going to piss off a huge part of their audience.

I guess we'll wait until we get more information on ep. 10 (title and/or synopsis) to make a truly good guess.

Not gonna happen so quickly. It likely has something to do with the fight between wights and children of the forest outside Bloodraven's cave/tree.

My guess would be locking up of the dragons, since you'd think they'd take a lot of CGI (making it a more action filled scene than in the book). I think going to Drogon in the fighting pit is accelerating her storyline way too much, particularly considering Tyrion will likely just be leaving King's Landing in that episode.

My guess would be locking up of the dragons, since you'd think they'd take a lot of CGI (making it a more action filled scene than in the book). I think going to Drogon in the fighting pit is accelerating her storyline way too much, particularly considering Tyrion will likely just be leaving King's Landing in that episode.

Depends on how important, and detailed, her TWOW adventures with the Dothraki are. They could have that be the focus of S5 for her, while Mereen keeps progressing without her to the battle of fire in E9. And then she returns in E10 (or 9 itself if she has a part to play in the actual battle) and S5 ends with her on her way to Westeros.

I'm not saying its likely, but its possible. Mereen would still be heavily featured, but at least she'd be doing something else; something that presumably gives her story a sense of progression.

Right, I wasn't considering Tyrion's plot line for this. Good guess on your part. The caging of the dragons could really be quite an intense scene.

That sounds about right.

I don't think Dany's storyline can be too accelerated because Tyrion needs time to catch up so that their narratives arrive at the fighting pits incident with Drogon around the same time. I think Tyrion's storyline will represent the "brake" on Dany's storyline in that sense. Actually, all my speculation for Season 5 is kind of thrown by the prospect of cramming Tyrion's entire ADWD arc, from languid chats with Illyrio to his negotiation with and acceptance into the Second Sons, into one season, which is what Alex Graves' comment about Season 5 and the books seemed to imply. Even if you put the fighting pit/Drogon incident in 5x09, that still leaves Tyrion's escape plan, actual escape, and entry into the Second Sons for 5x10, which seems like a lot for one episode. And if you put the fighting pit/Drogon incident earlier than 5x09, that leaves a lot of points to be covered in Tyrion's narrative over a mere seven or so episodes.

...I guess some of the Second Sons stuff could be bumped to 6x01. I just don't think it likely that Season 5 would end with Tyrion still a slave.

I wonder if HBO would consider extra episodes for the final season. One of the reasons they're limited to 10 episodes per season right now is that they need to film, edit, and then turn around to start all over again for the next season. For the final season they won't need to be ready to film again the next July so they'd have the time, all they need is the money.

Hmm. I do recall something about the TV editing and postproduction stuff going down to the wire as it is, and I assume they'd still be aiming for a spring 2017 or 2018 airdate, so that constraint would exist regardless of whether they had to start work on the next season or not. The writers might be done earlier for the final season, but the editing/postproduction work would not be.

I don't think Dany's storyline can be too accelerated because Tyrion needs time to catch up so that their narratives arrive at the fighting pits incident with Drogon around the same time. I think Tyrion's storyline will represent the "brake" on Dany's storyline in that sense. Actually, all my speculation for Season 5 is kind of thrown by the prospect of cramming Tyrion's entire ADWD arc, from languid chats with Illyrio to his negotiation with and acceptance into the Second Sons, into one season, which is what Alex Graves' comment about Season 5 and the books seemed to imply. Even if you put the fighting pit/Drogon incident in 5x09, that still leaves Tyrion's escape plan, actual escape, and entry into the Second Sons for 5x10, which seems like a lot for one episode. And if you put the fighting pit/Drogon incident earlier than 5x09, that leaves a lot of points to be covered in Tyrion's narrative over a mere seven or so episodes.

Tyrion's travels don't have *that* much material. Essentially, he has to meet Illyrio, Aegon, and Jorah, then it's off to Meereen. They can rearrange his material so that Tyrion arrives even as early as episodes 6 or 7. Also, I don't think he has to be present for Daznak's Pit. No need for that.

I get the impression the TV show is just going to fudge the travel time from Westeros to Slaver's Bay, like they did with Littlefinger's constant teleporting around the continent in Season 2. If they're including Aegon, they could still get Tyrion to Slaver's Bay by 6 or 7 episodes into Season 5. If not, they could even do it earlier.

That's what I thought too. You might have Drogon eating the kid in the beginning, then at the end the locking of all of them, so it'd be very CGI-heavy and thus expensive.

That sounds about right.

I was hoping we can dispense with the languid chats. Like Werthead said above, it will probably all be expedited.

I get the impression the TV show is just going to fudge the travel time from Westeros to Slaver's Bay, like they did with Littlefinger's constant teleporting around the continent in Season 2. If they're including Aegon, they could still get Tyrion to Slaver's Bay by 6 or 7 episodes into Season 5. If not, they could even do it earlier.

I guess so. It's not that I thought that Tyrion's ADWD arc was action-packed or anything or that there is no fat to be trimmed whatsoever, it's only that there are so many things which seem like they have to be included in some form: setup for trip with Aegon, revelation of Aegon's identity, Tyrion and JonCon being exposed to greyscale, Jorah, Penny, enslavement, etc. etc. I don't see how you get around Aegon, either, what with a second Dance of the Dragons all but confirmed.

I guess so. It's not that I thought that Tyrion's ADWD arc was action-packed or anything or that there is no fat to be trimmed whatsoever, it's only that there are so many things which seem like they have to be included in some form: setup for trip with Aegon, revelation of Aegon's identity, Tyrion and JonCon being exposed to greyscale, Jorah, Penny, enslavement, etc. etc. I don't see how you get around Aegon, either, what with a second Dance of the Dragons all but confirmed.

Hopefully Varys will go with Tyrion to Pentos and he'll just introduce Tyrion to Aegon and Jon Connington along with Illyrio instead of giving them disguises.

They can cut Jon Con and Penny. Tyrion can just speak to Aegon while in Pentos, then set off and get captured by Jorah. Soon afterward they get enslaved, and then they break free and join the sellswords. That's the brass tacks, I think. Because the Unsullied loved the Brienne/Jaime and Arya/Sandor pairings, I think the writers will milk Tyrion/Jorah for all it's worth and possibly invent content if they feel the need.

The way I see Aegon handled is to get his introduction and motivation in the first episode (could bleed into the second), through Tyrion's eyes. Then, we hear nothing until the end of the season, when we see, through Arianne, that the Golden Company has landed on Westeros, taken X castle and looks to ally with the Martells.

Speaking of the Dornish storyline, my guess is they cut most (if not all) Sand Snakes, Darkstar and Hotah. This is how I envision the rest:

• ep 2) Introduced to Arianne and Arys Oakheart, reintroduced to Myrcella, Arianne's plot is hatched

ep 3) Arianne's plot is carried out and fails, Arianne is taken into custody

ep 4) Doran summons Arianne and gives her the old Fire and Blood speech (which introduces Quentyn's role)

ep 6) Dany treats with Quentyn and rebuffs him

ep 8) Quentyn tries his hand at taming a dragon

ep 10) Arianne meets with Aegon

most likely the battle of fire will be in episode 9 of season 5. the whole episode would be center there similar to backwater and castle black. tyrions and Danny's final adwd chapters can take place in episode 8 as can Quentin being roasted. the ironborn plot can happen earlier in the season with vic being sent by euron to court danny in episode 5. then have him arrive for the battle in episode 9. then episode 10 can wrap up the westerous storylines with jons stabbing cersis walk of shame aegon landing in the storm lands and all the rest.

This isn't a surprise since it is the most popular TV show ever on HBO. I think 8 seasons would sound much more fitting though. With Season 5 consisting of AFFC and DWD. Season 6 of WOW. First half of season 7, WOW. Second half of season 7 and season 8, DOS. Some rumors has also said that they would go for nine seasons. If they did, that would give them alot more time to go into details with things and therefore, the more seasons the better when it comes to Game of Thrones. You would just wish that the series would continue for all eternity! :eek: Thing is, 7 seasons is not enough, and i think there will be more than that. :wideeyed:

Brienne's journey will probably be trimmed a lot.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they have Brienne meeting Catelyn in the tenth episode of this season, which means they won't even be dealing with her A Feast for Crows chapters during the fifth season.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they have Brienne meeting Catelyn in the tenth episode of this season, which means they won't even be dealing with her A Feast for Crows chapters during the fifth season.

hope this happens brienne's story in FFC was the biggest waste of time and paper over the whole book series

Archived