MLB 2014: Can't You Hear the Thunder?

Myshkin

Utterly dominant.

It's a huge understatement that our pitching has been a pleasant surprise thus far. Also nice to see Gattis have a huge game tonight!

Who would have thought after Meds and Beachy went down that our biggest strength would be the starting pitching so far.

Utterly dominant.

It's a huge understatement that our pitching has been a pleasant surprise thus far. Also nice to see Gattis have a huge game tonight!

Who would have thought after Meds and Beachy went down that our biggest strength would be the starting pitching so far.

Aaron Harang lives!!

Pineda continues to look impressive. If CC can figure out how to get back to being old CC, the Yanks would have a pretty formidable rotation.

As long as Kuroda doesn't fizzle out and Nova maintains a certain level of consistency I think some of the heat comes of CC. He looked good the first five innings in his last outing, but he lost his shit in the sixth. Here's hoping he can avoid the one bad inning tomorrow.

Not gonna hold my breath on him, but there is something about a Braves uniform that can resurrect even the most hopeless pitching career.

As I touched on way back, I think you guys are still in pretty solid overall shape. That is not in any way to say that the losses of Medlen and Beachey aren't critical. They are. No sugercoating it. Could be the difference between World Series and just competing for a playoff spot. But the team is very good from top to bottom. Still one of the most feared closers in the game for the 9th inning. Teheran looks like an ace quite often. And Harang and Santana are, all joking aside, proven commodities as far as very credible MLB starters. But man, that sort of just underscores the horror of those injuries. With both of them on track and healthy, Atlanta is ferocious.

Tangent from your post: St. Louis also had that reputation for a while as far as a place where a pitcher gets better. I have not achieved PhD studying this matter, but a couple of names that come to mind are Daryl Kile, Chris Carpenter, Jeff Suppan, and Kyle Lohse. All of those guys achieved more at St. Louis than in their previous locations. Kile obviously had his stint cut short by tragedy, but it was starting to look like he'd both left Colorado's air behind and something more.

The glaring exception here is Kip Wells. He was like some young Pittsburgh Pirate that was well thought of or something. Then he came to St. Louis and occupied the 5th spot in the rotation for some time and was a gaping black pit from which no wins emerged.

I guess Mark Mulder is a name that could get thrown in there too, but I think that was more of a health thing than a stuff or makeup thing.

Go Giants! They've taken the first 4 out of 5 games with the Doyers up to this point in the young season.

Yeah I think it's going to be a fight to the finish between them!! No offense to Giants fans but I didn't realize how popular baseball seems to be in the Bay Area. I saw a recap of a Giants game the other day and the stadium was packed! I was pleasantly surprised!

Red Sox managed to pull a win out of their ass today. I don't really have anything other than gut feeling to go off of, but I believe our early season struggles are over.

Yeah I think it's going to be a fight to the finish between them!! No offense to Giants fans but I didn't realize how popular baseball seems to be in the Bay Area. I saw a recap of a Giants game the other day and the stadium was packed! I was pleasantly surprised!

Red Sox managed to pull a win out of their ass today. I don't really have anything other than gut feeling to go off of, but I believe our early season struggles are over.

Every fanbase gets galvanized if a team wins the world series a couple times. :) Or replacing an old dump of a stadium with a very nice new one for that matter (Giants seriously went from having one of the worst ballparks in MLB to one of the best whey they built the new one over a decade ago).

A's fans are starting to show up again too, though the Coliseum is certainly showing its age (and neglect!) and the fan base is weary and discouraged by the inertia over getting a new stadium, are they moving or not, and ownership and city politicians taking turns waving their middle finger at each other over this issue, while Bud Selig predictably takes the bold action of hiding under his desk and waiting for things to magically get better on his own lest he harm his "legacy" by actually doing something and risk making one of his 30 overlords upset with him.

If the on-field product stunk the franchise would be in very dire straits. Fortunately they have the best GM at doing more with less (finance wise) in the business, so here comes another batch of pitchers who are as unhittable as they are anonymous and platooners who grind out at-bats and string together enough walks, singles, and sacrifice flies while whoever happens to be the closer in early July gets the obligatory token All-Star nod.

Really, the A's are the closest any team comes to actually living the plot of Major League and they make any planned sequel/reboot of that film franchise completely superfluous. They're a lot of fun to follow as long as you don't mind your replica jersey being like your computer: obsolete as soon as you buy it.

As long as Kuroda doesn't fizzle out and Nova maintains a certain level of consistency I think some of the heat comes of CC. He looked good the first five innings in his last outing, but he lost his shit in the sixth. Here's hoping he can avoid the one bad inning tomorrow.

Yup, I was bummed when he ran into that 6th inning. He looked really good before that. I think he'll be back, just keep the damn ball down.

As I touched on way back, I think you guys are still in pretty solid overall shape. That is not in any way to say that the losses of Medlen and Beachey aren't critical. They are. No sugercoating it. Could be the difference between World Series and just competing for a playoff spot. But the team is very good from top to bottom. Still one of the most feared closers in the game for the 9th inning. Teheran looks like an ace quite often. And Harang and Santana are, all joking aside, proven commodities as far as very credible MLB starters. But man, that sort of just underscores the horror of those injuries. With both of them on track and healthy, Atlanta is ferocious.

I liked the Santana signing a lot, but honestly I thought Harang was totally washed up after his performance last year. I do love this Braves lineup, even with underachievers Uggla and BJ. Freddie Freeman has developed into a lethal hitter who's as dangerous as anyone in the league when the chips are down.

Teheran finally appears to have developed into the pitcher we hoped he would be. I questioned the team accelerating him to the majors a few years ago at such a tender age, but that strategy appears to be paying off.

Tangent from your post: St. Louis also had that reputation for a while as far as a place where a pitcher gets better. I have not achieved PhD studying this matter, but a couple of names that come to mind are Daryl Kile, Chris Carpenter, Jeff Suppan, and Kyle Lohse. All of those guys achieved more at St. Louis than in their previous locations. Kile obviously had his stint cut short by tragedy, but it was starting to look like he'd both left Colorado's air behind and something more.

The glaring exception here is Kip Wells. He was like some young Pittsburgh Pirate that was well thought of or something. Then he came to St. Louis and occupied the 5th spot in the rotation for some time and was a gaping black pit from which no wins emerged.

I guess Mark Mulder is a name that could get thrown in there too, but I think that was more of a health thing than a stuff or makeup thing.

I think Dave Duncan rightly deserves the credit for a lot of that, similar to how Leo Mazzone did for the Braves all through the 90s.

Lester wins the pitching duel between him and Chris Sale! The Yankees look good and something tells me it's going to be a classic fight to the finish between them and the Sox this year!

Honestly I'm treating this year as what last year was supposed to be -- growing pains while the young guys develop. Anything above, say, 81 wins is icing on the cake to me. As long as they re-sign Lester, I'm happy.

So in 1997 the Secret Service threatened, no they promised to kill Mr. Met if he got to close to President Clinton at Shea stadium.

http://gothamist.com/2014/04/17/the_secret_service_apparently_threa.php

I know 99% of the time, "read the user comments section on an article/video link" is among the worst possible ideas a human being surfing the internet can have, but there's a high quotient of quality lulz in this one and this one time it's actually worth it.

I know 99% of the time, "read the user comments section on an article/video link" is among the worst possible ideas a human being surfing the internet can have, but there's a high quotient of quality lulz in this one and this one time it's actually worth it.

Lulz.

"First they came for Mr. Met, and I said nothing, because Mets".

Archived