Books of the Fallen: Malazan thread

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Malazan opinions are so divisive. Memories of Ice is the most popular book in the series, but I've seen people say that it is their least favorite book. Conversely, Toll the Hounds gets the most complaints, but quite a few fans say it's their favorite (especially on a reread). I'd say most fans have at least one book in the series that they don't hold in very high regard, but that book varies from person to person. Deadhouse Gates is my least favorite, which is a crazy opinion I know.

Memories of Ice isn't my least favorite, but definately on the lower end. Not to say it's bad at all. Most of it was really good, but there were a few storylines that I found to be rather dull and dragged down the whole experience. OTOH, Toll the Hounds I thought was among the best volumes.

Deadhouse Gates is my favorite. Dust of Dreams is the worst; the only one that I'd say was outright bad.

About 150 pages into Toll the Hounds, and man this is dragging. Having a hard time staying focused thus far. Lot of interesting characters and ones I've been waiting to see again. But please, tell me it starts to pick up soon.

It's a very slow start, but I felt like it started picking up steam around the 500 pg mark. And from there it just kept building to (imo) the best ending in the series.

It's a very slow start, but I felt like it started picking up steam around the 500 pg mark. And from there it just kept building to (imo) the best ending in the series.

I'm right around there. Karsa, Samar and Traveler heading to Darujhistan. (Just a little past that) And its really starting to pick up. I think it's gonna be a epic ending with some many good story lines and many formidable characters converging to Darujhistan. Im excited to see the outcome.

I have feeling that Kallor is heading to a meeting with either Karsa or traveler.

ETA: sorry autocorrect keeps fixing Traveller

I finished Memories of Ice yesterday, it certainly lives up to its reputation. Might prefer Deadhouse Gates a little more, since it's all these insane events going on at the same time and I was always waiting for things on Genabackis to go "to Hood in a handbasket" like it was mentioned in DHG. Some big things happened but for the GotM characters, it was mostly a travelogue. Still, the writing comes first in this series and Erickson was on point as always.

I think you'll also enjoy Midnight Tides. That's where the Tiste Edur/Lerherii story starts and its a really good story. Overall that has been my favorite so far. And I'm sure you'll love Karsa Orlong whom you'all you will be meeting in the next book. Great character.

I think you'll also enjoy Midnight Tides. That's where the Tiste Edur/Lerherii story starts and its a really good story. Overall that has been my favorite so far. And I'm sure you'll love Karsa Orlong whom you'all you will be meeting in the next book. Great character.

Funny, because Karsa and Midnight Tides are my least favorites. MT was all boring for me except that for some parts with Tehol and Iron Bars

TTH has a fantastic ending all around. However, I never found the Darujhistan chapters to be slow. I loved the intertwining characters and Kruppe's narration. The Non-Darujhistan chapters were occasionally a struggle until the last few chapters.

TTH has a fantastic ending all around. However, I never found the Darujhistan chapters to be slow. I loved the intertwining characters and Kruppe's narration. The Non-Darujhistan chapters were occasionally a struggle until the last few chapters.

When I say slow, doesn't necessarily mean I don't like it. Just not much action, can kinda hamper my page intake. I gotta force through it a lil harder. I like anything Kruppe. Cutter is becoming a fav too.

I'd like to ask a ? about Karsa. I've seen in some threads at Malazanempire, how he seems to unbelievable. The ultimate-ultimate warrior. I get some of that. But, I've come too love his wry sense of humor and outlook on life. Without getting SPOILER here, what's some of your opinions on him. Also, not for no erotic reasons, purely because I think they both are fond of one another. I'd love to see Samar and him consummate this shit, I'm on TTH and it's overdue. Please again, no spoilers, just your opinion on the main mofo in this series. Although my affinity for Traveller is second to none. Hell tell me wich u like best Traveller or Karsa. I greatly enjoy them both and never get dulled during their scenes. I guess maybe I've always love the warrior type in books, movies and such. In TSA, Cnauir without a doubt was my favorite, its who I'm drawn too. Just ur opinions without ruining nothing for newer readers. Or u can spoiler tag it, just make sure what book your going too.

ETA: and without a doubt, when he's about to wreck shit, and turns to whoever is around, and simply says "Witness". I love it. He's the Lebron James of MBOTF. ( I know I'll catch shit for that. I gotta find out if James or one his goons is a Malazan fan. Copyright infringements galore, Lol.)

Look at my name. That's how much I like him.

I gathered that. What makes by like him? Same as me? And why can't people see his total fuckn bad ass, don't give a fuck, just witness this shit. It gives me goose bumps everytime. I cannot wait for Karsa scenes. Its total teror and brute force, then at the end he comes back and makes a comment, and I gotta stop reading for a few I'm laughing so damn hard.

I like Karsa as a character and I do find him charismatic and to an extent charming in presented personality, but I think it bears taking a step back and looking at both his history (he's an unapologetic rapist, apart from anything else) and what his future plans are. He's really not a very nice person at all.

It's that conjunction that makes him an all-the-more compelling character, mind.

I would not say he is an unapologetic rapist based on a couple comments in TTH. He would no longer do that at this point.

I like him because he is an honest, straightforward badass who has strong integrity and nobility, even if it is skewed from how others think. Plus he is hilarious.

He is simply compelling and it is never boring when he is around.

I would not say he is an unapologetic rapist based on a couple comments in TTH. He would no longer do that at this point.

I like him because he is an honest, straightforward badass who has strong integrity and nobility, even if it is skewed from how others think. Plus he is hilarious.

He is simply compelling and it is never boring when he is around.

I agree. Through his earlier trials he seen life for what it is. And has such a great way of voicing opinions and his ideals. Love the dude.

I like Karsa as a character and I do find him charismatic and to an extent charming in presented personality, but I think it bears taking a step back and looking at both his history (he's an unapologetic rapist, apart from anything else) and what his future plans are. He's really not a very nice person at all.

It's that conjunction that makes him an all-the-more compelling character, mind.

Well, I took it to be the rape thing was kinda part of their culture...no? I'm not condoning rape, please don't turn this into a Bakker thread. Yes there was plenty of evil in the beginning. But Karsa has had a transformation. And remember I'm on TTH, this could all probably change. But I hope it don't. I hope he uses his godly will and strength for what could be called good in the Malazan world. Who knows? I'm enjoying the shit outta him. Like to hear othera opinions.

Archived