Books of the Fallen: Malazan thread

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Why do you say that? It's still real people giving their honest opinions.

Hahaha. I uh, I don't know if your joking or you really don't know, but GR has been flooded with sock puppets/paid 5 star reviews. Now in something like this case where its book 6(or 16 you could argue) of a well established author from a real publisher, sure, there aren't going ot be fakes, but the general tone over there lately seems to be that a lot of people don't even bother reviewing anymore, and quite a lot of people left, so its not as representative of readers as I think it once was.

Ahem. End rant.

Hahaha. I uh, I don't know if your joking or you really don't know, but GR has been flooded with sock puppets/paid 5 star reviews. Now in something like this case where its book 6(or 16 you could argue) of a well established author from a real publisher, sure, there aren't going ot be fakes, but the general tone over there lately seems to be that a lot of people don't even bother reviewing anymore, and quite a lot of people left, so its not as representative of readers as I think it once was.

Ahem. End rant.

Not that I don't believe you, I do, but do you have any examples of phony posts? And if the posts for Assail aren't fake then for what books would they be fake any why?

Well Erikson doesn't consider it "his" world; it's theirs. But I don't think he's commented much specifically on ICE's books.

Yeah, I figured as much. What is he going to say? Thanks a lot Ice. Thanks for ruining my series...

I wonder what Steven Erikson thinks about ICE and his contributions to the series that I consider his - Erikson's.

I don't think Erikson is all that fussed whose you consider the series to be, if I'm honest. They created the world together, and both writing books in it was always the plan.

ETA: if it hadn't been, or if he cared about it, Erikson wouldn't have spent large parts of his own books setting up plotlines that ICE was going to finish.

I wonder what Steven Erikson thinks about ICE and his contributions to the series that I consider his - Erikson's.

He comments on the ICE books in the end-of-book, ask-Steven-Erikson Q&As.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Short Summary: As End of Disc One says, he considers Malaz to be a shared universe for both of them to write about.

Yeah, I figured as much. What is he going to say? Thanks a lot Ice. Thanks for ruining my series...

That's really unfair. Erikson has praised ICE's books many times. And early versions of Night of Knives and Return of the Crimson Guard were written before Gardens of the Moon, so claiming it as Erikson's world is ridiculous, even if most think he is the better author.

That's really unfair. Erikson has praised ICE's books many times. And early versions of Night of Knives and Return of the Crimson Guard were written before Gardens of the Moon, so claiming it as Erikson's world is ridiculous, even if most think he is the better author.

Well I do think it is unavoidable that most people, including myself, will regard it to be his world when he has written more and longer books, has sold more copies, his first book was published before ICE's and his books can all be read as a series that's has a well established climax and conclusion to the series while the same is not true for ICE's books. No disrespect intended.

Well I do think it is unavoidable that most people, including myself, will regard it to be his world when he has written more and longer books, has sold more copies, his first book was published before ICE's and his books can all be read as a series that's has a well established climax and conclusion to the series while the same is not true for ICE's books. No disrespect intended.

I do agree, but I wouldn't put really negative thoughts in Erikson's head about "ruining" his series. Interviews are very telling.

When Erikson is interviewed, there aren't typically questions about ICE. Regardless, Erikson always brings up the fact that he co-created the world with ICE, and oftentimes recommends reading the books. So the interview is all about Erikson, but he tries to bring in ICE whenever he can.

When ICE is interviewed, there are always questions about how they created a world together and if there are ever arguments between the authors, and if they look at each other's books pre-publication, etc. So the interview is about both authors.

I feel bad for ICE, even if I agree that a Erikson is the superior author.

Eh, pretty sure I read an interview where he praised one of ICE's books.

He praised one of them? That's very good of him.

Anyway, it's one thing for SE and ICE to dream up the Malazan universe while playing a game or whatever, but it was Erikson who wrote the first five books and actually created the world on paper to great success. ICE perhaps had some ideas, but as we've seen his execution is just terrible. Had he written and published the first book I wonder if we would have ever heard of the Malazan books.

He praised one of them? That's very good of him.

Anyway, it's one thing for SE and ICE to dream up the Malazan universe while playing a game or whatever, but it was Erikson who wrote the first five books and actually created the world on paper to great success. ICE perhaps had some ideas, but as we've seen his execution is just terrible. Had he written and published the first book I wonder if we would have ever heard of the Malazan books.

Selective response. I provided more of an argument.

But I do wonder if the series world have taken off if ICE published first. And would Erikson ever have been given a chance?

Archived