Books of the Fallen: Malazan thread

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Hey, us crappy American's didn't start getting the ICE books til, hrmm, I think NoK was in between DoD and TCG. I know RotCG didn't come out til after tCG.

Too many acronyms!

I also think ICE's books get better with each one. I really liked Blood and Bone. Hell, of all them so far( I have yet to crack open Assail) Blood and Bone was probably the one where I understood what was going on the most.

I'm a crappy American too, so I am going off the dates on Goodreads and Wikipedia. Since I just began the series a few months ago, I had the luxury of researching them and then integrating the two authors how I wished.

I am looking forward to Blood and Bone. I know nothing about it, other than it is on a jungle continent with some heart of darkness comparisons.

Haven't posted in this thread before, but I've read some Malazan. I'm halfway through House of Chains and I've gotta ask: does the pace and excitement pick up soon? I'm halfway through and am finding myself quite bored. This never happened once with Deadhouse Gates (my favourite in the series so far) or Memories of Ice.

You are thinking of Midnight Tides, not HoC, which is in the Seven Cities.

I did not like HoC quite as much, but loved the loved the next two, MT and Bonehunters. Opinions differ so much though, that I wouldn't worry about others and keep going, as every book is pretty different in terms of location, plot and tone. Don't like this one as much, then just wait for the next, basically.

Ghijero - can't you just order via Amazon?

I could, but they were a bit more expensive then I thought they would be and I'm trying to save my money to fill my car with gas so I'm going to wait until Christmas to hopefully con my grandparents out of some money haha! While on vacation I'm usually able to convince my uncle to buy me some books, but no such luck this time.

What books do the timeline issues appear in? I'm halfway through TBH and I see no errors so far, when they do crop up however will they be glaringly obvious or were they something only discovered after rereads and by super insightful readers noticed?

Question

In the scene where ivanr and sister gosh to the blood sacrifice for rain. What is the creature that attacks them? Is is just a demon of the lady or is it also involving blood magic? I ask this cause of the baby head and voice. I thought I had a handle on the "magic" rules of Malazan, but this book is really confusing as to what happens on the ladies lands.

Question

In the scene where ivanr and sister gosh to the blood sacrifice for rain. What is the creature that attacks them? Is is just a demon of the lady or is it also involving blood magic? I ask this cause of the baby head and voice. I thought I had a handle on the "magic" rules of Malazan, but this book is really confusing as to what happens on the ladies lands.

What book is this? I don't remember that scene, and those characters are not familiar.

Edit - looking back on the thread, I'm going to guess this is Stonewielder. I haven't read that one.

Archived