Syrio Forel is not dead.

Hypnomagica

I like Syrio for what he was, a First Sword of Bravos who does not run.

It makes him less of a character if he abandons Arya and is some amoral assassin or w/e.

I don't get the obsession of completely changing his identity, just so he can somehow be alive.

Aegon, Jon C and Cat were apparently dead too.

so is Stannis too according to the letter at the end of ADWD

ohh and Davos died on us twice.

long story short, unless we see the character die or hear about it from a very reliable character in the series, odds are they're not dead.

long story short, unless we see the character die or hear about it from a very reliable character in the series, odds are they're not dead.

Aegon probably is dead, Cat surely was. Stannis we'll have to wait and see. Yes there is misinformation spread sometimes about who is dead. How does that help Syrio out of his hopeless situation? The analogy with Jon Connington and Davos would only work if someone in universe was going around trying to convince people that Syrio was dead.

Also Hound and Mountain :D

And Jon is close too :D

Aegon probably is dead, Cat surely was. Stannis we'll have to wait and see. Yes there is misinformation spread sometimes about who is dead. How does that help Syrio out of his hopeless situation?

Because we didn't see him die nor have we been told he's been killed

Anyway, IMO the strongest argument against "Syrio being alive" is that there is very little plot reason for him to be alive. He was an amazing character and taught Arya so many things, that helped her survive the Riverlands, but his story is done. He lives on within Arya.

Edit: typos

I believe he is alive.

First of all, Ned hired him over any Westerosi swordsman to train Arya and he later saved her from the Goldcloaks.

Second, Jaqen H'gar basically watched over her from King's Landing to Harrenhal where he aided in her escape from the castle.

Third, once in Braavos the Kindly Man oversaw her training under the Faceless Men.

SO could they all be one person? Ya just never know when it comes to the Faceless Men. Personally, I think that Syrio, Jaqen and the Kindly Man are one and the same because he's come to care for Arya.

I believe he is alive.

First of all, Ned hired him over any Westerosi swordsman to train Arya and he later saved her from the Goldcloaks.

Second, Jaqen H'gar basically watched over her from King's Landing to Harrenhal where he aided in her escape from the castle.

Third, once in Braavos the Kindly Man oversaw her training under the Faceless Men.

SO could they all be one person? Ya just never know when it comes to the Faceless Men. Personally, I think that Syrio, Jaqen and the Kindly Man are one and the same because he's come to care for Arya.

Faceless Men can change their face but they can't be in two places at once. Jaqen was in the black cells while Syrio was teaching Arya. Jaqen was in Oldtown around the time Arya met the Kindly Man. You could say Syrio is the Kindly Man as there is no evidence against it, but Jaqen is neither (though HBO might be changing that for the show).

I didn't necro it, but I certainly couldn't help myself posting :P

Syrio isn't dead :leaving:

Fine, the fact you were quoting a post 6 months old fooled me there.

Still, Syrio is dead as a dodo. Nobody puts a character in a seemingly hopeless situation in a book, only to bring him back thousands of pages later, going 'haha, fooled you'. That would just be terrible writing.

He played his part, and died, like Obi-wan. Being that there's no Force in GRRM's world, he aint coming back.

Fine, the fact you were quoting a post 6 months old fooled me there.

Still, Syrio is dead as a dodo. Nobody puts a character in a seemingly hopeless situation in a book, only to bring him back thousands of pages later, going 'haha, fooled you'. That would just be terrible writing.

He played his part, and died, like Obi-wan. Being that there's no Force in GRRM's world, he aint coming back.

You can say the same thing about keeping Jon's mother a secret for so long or having The Others hardly play any part in in the story up until now. Heck you could even say something similar about Dany still being in the east.

I still feel that Arya discovering that he's still alive would help set her on the path to remember who she really is. You know showing the poor girl that there's still hope in the world.

Also remember when writing the first book George thought this was only going to be a trilogy. I'm pretty sure Syrio wasn't mean to stay dead this long in George's original version of the story. Jaqen was written out of the story too, but we all expect to see him in a few Sam chapters in TWOW. All I'm saying is anything is possible and more often than not dead characters in this series show up when we don't see them die on page.

Archived