who tried to kill Bran?

Something worth mentioning: Going by the theory that Joffrey hired an assassin to kill so he could get his father's approval, he would have told Robert at some point, wouldn't he? If that's the case, why did Robert not react? He punched Joffrey for cutting open a cat, how would he react to learning that Joffrey tried to cut open Ned's son? Why didn't he tell Ned?

Something worth mentioning: Going by the theory that Joffrey hired an assassin to kill so he could get his father's approval, he would have told Robert at some point, wouldn't he? If that's the case, why did Robert not react? He punched Joffrey for cutting open a cat, how would he react to learning that Joffrey tried to cut open Ned's son? Why didn't he tell Ned?

Not if the attempt failed.

He didn't tell because the attempt failed.

How is this even a question? Why look for mysteries where there are none. The book gives a fairly satisfying conclusion and Joff as much as admitted it.

ASoS makes it perfectly clear. First, Joff's line 'I'm not stranger to Valyrian steel.' when he is gifted with Widow's Wail. Then Tyrion asking whether His Grace wants a Valyrian steel dagger with a hilt made of dragonbane as a replacement for the book Joffrey 'rejected' as a gift.

After the breakfast, in the litter, Tyrion discusses the whole issue with Sansa, and is trying to find out why Joff would want to kill Bran. He asks if there was bad blood between them.

Joffrey was craving the attention/love of Robert very much. His 'father' was everything he wanted to be. A great, masculine warrior. Joff is a craven.

One can easily imagine Joffrey's line of thought after overhearing Robert's drunken outburst that 'a real man would but the boy out of his misery': 'I'm a real man. I'll get a weapon, and then I'll hire somebody to do what no one else dares. And when it's done I'll go to my father, and tell him, and he'll be very proud of me, and we'll go on a hunt together.'

Of course he would only have told Robert about that after it came to light that Bran had been successfully killed. And that didn't happen. So he kept his mouth shut, most likely fearing the guy he hired run off with the dagger and his silver, and he would look like an idiot if it ever came out.

There is also a chance that Joffrey learned about the whole incident later after Cat had abducted Tyrion. That would have been the time when Robert and Cersei would have discussed the whole thing, including the issue that Tyrion had been abducted because Lady Stark believed that he had hired an assassin to kill her son. Joff then must have gotten really afraid, because if it ever came out his parents - especially his father - would be very mad at him, to say the least. Joffrey still seems to be very afraid that his involvement in the affair may come to light when Tyrion catches him in ASoS. Despite the fact that he is king now, and technically untouchable.

We should also keep in mind that Bran was a very charming child. There was bad blood between Robb and Joffrey, we all know that, but not between Bran and Joffrey. Both Tommen and Myrcella liked Brandon Stark, and there is a possibility that Joff did also like Bran enough to actually consider 'putting him out of his misery' would be a kindness, an act of friendship. This may have been the one moment in the entire series where Joffrey did not want to be cruel.

The chances that somebody else was behind the would-be-assassin is pretty slim. The assassin did say to Cat that it was a kindness to kill Bran. He most certainly was not hired by Cersei, Jaime, or Tyrion (those three being the only ones who had a motive back then - Jaime/Cersei because Bran saw them, and Tyrion because he realized what Bran had seen).

Joffrey. No doubt about it.

I still think it was LF. My flimsy reasoning is this:

In Catelyn Chapter IV they discuss how they found the assassin's hiding place in the stables and found some silver coins. Later when Catelyn is reminicing about LF she thinks about his love for all things silver. That word association just strikes me as too much of a coincidence. Flimsy I know.

Also there's just no evidence that Joffrey ever cared about Robert. Plus he has contempt for everything and everyone. He doesn't strike me as someone who would care about providing a "mercy" to a kid he barely knows in order to impress his father.

Since there is no decent way to tell how much time passed from when Bran fell to the assassination attempt (that I'm aware of) he could have planned it to stir up trouble, including providing the dagger that would implicate Tyrion.

It's flat-out impossible for LF to get it going in time. Not by three entire months.

On the other hand, the assassin attack was three weeks after Bran's fall and he had hid in Winterfell for quite some time already.

It was littlefinger.Saying he wasent at the north is like saying he wasent at KL for the purple wedding.

Well, considering that the Purple Wedding was announced quite some time in advance (unlike Bran's fall) and that LF was right outside of KL on a ship...

Joffrey never told him.

I'm just wondering why he never mentions it to Sansa as a way to torture her some more, "There's your father's head on a spike, 'm going to kill your brother Robb, and by the way I would have killed your little brother Bran if that assassin hadn't screwed it up, next time I won't fail..."

Not if the attempt failed.

He didn't tell because the attempt failed.

How is this even a question? Why look for mysteries where there are none. The book gives a fairly satisfying conclusion and Joff as much as admitted it.

Joffrey never told him.

Okay then, that answers my question.

Apparently, it was Joffrey.

But I'm still convinced the Mance Rayder theory is the one that makes the most sense. He's planning to invade the North. Unlike prior Kings-Beyond-the-Wall, he has a good idea about what lies beyond the Wall (beyond from his side, that is) and how kneelers think, due his upbringing as a Brother of the Night's Watch. He knows that if they make it through the Wall (which they would have, if not for Jon warning Castle Black) they still have to deal with the North. He even states he went to Winterfell in a reconnaissance mission.

If he can set the North against the South, he will find a much more disorganized force after he gets through the Wall and the North may not be able/willing to send reinforcements to the Wall (the later is exactly what happened). Alternatively/On top, he might be able to strike a deal with the southern King (who he wanted to meet and evaluate) as a co-belligerent against a common enemy (Tywin looked favorable to such a deal in the show and IIRC, the books as well).

Even more, it explains why the assassin was given a specific weapon that points directly to the King. If the assassin fails (and he wasn't a smart hitman) and the Starks properly identify the dagger, then it means Robert tried to murder (or murdered) their child.

As for why Bran and not Robb, I think it's because Robb might have fought back and captured the assassin alive. Bran is a much easier target. The other issue is how he got the dagger. But it might be surmountable. Robert was carefree with his weapons and traveled with a lot of retainers. Mance, posing as a bard, could have seduced some woman of Robert or Cersei's retinue who could have given him access to the weapons, he might have taken a spearwife to Winterfell just in case and used her to seduce a man of Robert's retinue, or Robert himself. Or he might have just ingratiated himself enough with Robert (he did travel south to meet him) to get enough access to his apartments to steal the dagger.

And it worked. Jaime's attempt on Bran's life would have gone unnoticed. Mance attempt could not, and did not. Even without Lysa's letter, it set up a chain of events that put the North in a war path against the South (hell, Ned didn't obey Robert orders to, in turn, order Catelyn to release the Imp before he was certain of the incest. How was that supposed to work out in the long term?) and made the Watch stand alone - until Stannis sailed North, and Mance couldn't have predicted a multi-sided civil war. Had he not trusted Jon, Castle Black would have fallen from the south, the wildlings would have opened the gates and the Free Folk would have flooded in. And while that wasn't the end of everything, as the Mountain Clans, the Umbers and the Karstarks would have ridden to stop them, they would have a far better chance of slipping through/fighting back than what they would have against a united North at peace.

Mance could have had a motive, but he would not sink so low to murder a child to pursue his agenda. Especially not since Ned being appointed Hand was already enough to help him prepare his attack on the Wall. Robb Stark was an inexperienced boy and would most likely not realize what's happening until it was too late (or so Mance's reasoning).

If Mance had been behind the murder, he would not have stolen a Valyrian steel dagger from the king (far too risky), nor would he have paid the assassin with silver coins. He would have gone after Bran himself, or he would have sent one of his companions with him.

There was no talk about a deal between Mance and the Iron Throne in the books. Balon Greyjoy offered an alliance, but was turned down. All Tywin intended to do with the wildling threat was to ignore it because he knew it would only be a threat to his enemies in the North (Northmen/Ironborn).

It was littlefinger.Saying he wasent at the north is like saying he wasent at KL for the purple wedding.

exactly.

Documented theory support for Littlefinger's involvement in the attempted murder of Bran I will provide eventually, when I have access to books for quote searching etc. which I do not right now.

However things to keep in mind:

1. Littlefinger's scheme is only starting to be revealed now. Early in the books we were supposed to believe he was a friend of Cat, and that he loved her and would never harm her. It was not in GRRM's interest to reveal the extent of LF's scheming at that point. Even now, giving us full details on how he might have carried out the plan for Bran would reveal too much about what he is actually up to in the North and who he has been working with. That is why, for now, all suspicion is on Joffrey. Noone ever suspects Littlefinger of anything, according to GRRM himself.

2. However we now have an example of a situation where Littlefinger did something for the purpose of setting up Tyrion for regicide, by making sure to provoke a fight between the two at the Purple Wedding. He hired the dwarves to insult Tyrion and gave Joffrey the raw material to rub in the insult. He made it seem that Joffrey hired them. Then Joffrey died and everyone naturally looked to Tyrion who had been fighting with Joffrey earlier that same night. This is evidence Littlefinger had been feeding the growing hatred between the two (and general knowledge of that hatred) for quite some time.

3. Littlefinger himself tells the story of how he persuaded the Tyrells to place Loras in the Kingsguard. He is so proud of himself for making Mace think it was his own idea. What do you want to bet he had been working Joffrey exactly the same way for quite some time as part of his plan, that we all fully acknowledge now, to start a war between Starks and Lannisters?

4. Littlefinger always does his dirty work via agents. He is never anywhere near where the trouble is. However if we take it as proven (I believe noone still doubts this) that Littlefinger fully intended to provoke a war between Starks and Lannisters, then it should also be a given that he sent agents North in order to cause trouble themselves or whisper in Joffrey's ear.

Littlefinger (or perhaps Lysa Arryn) had at least one servant/agent among the people accompanying Robert to Winterfell to deliver Lysa's letter to Maester Luwin. However, actively influencing the Crown Prince into wanting to put little Bran out of his misery would have been a little too much for an agent, even if we assume that this agent had access to a raven (which I doubt). The raven network in itself is firmly in the control of the maesters. An agent of Littlefinger's could have had a raven with him that flew back to KL, but I very much doubt that he himself does control a 'Littlefinger rookery' back in KL. Any ravens going to the Red Keep will be received by Grand Maester Pycelle.

What Littlefinger did during the Purple Wedding was orchestrating a smokescreen to ensure that Tyrion would be accused of the murder. His job was to provide cover for the Tyrells, who did the actual deed.

Littlefinger most certainly had no agents in Joff's vicinity who could have done the stuff he himself may have done had he been close by (the agents Littlefinger uses are not the kind of people snobs like Cersei or Joffrey listen to or even tolerate in their retinue!), nor do I assume that Littlefinger had much access/contact to Prince Joffrey. His influence on Joff would have risen later on when he started to have regular contacted with the boy as a member of King Joffrey's Small Council.

Littlefinger (or perhaps Lysa Arryn) had at least one servant/agent among the people accompanying Robert to Winterfell to deliver Lysa's letter to Maester Luwin. However, actively influencing the Crown Prince into wanting to put little Bran out of his misery would have been a little too much for an agent, even if we assume that this agent had access to a raven (which I doubt). The raven network in itself is firmly in the control of the maesters. An agent of Littlefinger's could have had a raven with him that flew back to KL, but I very much doubt that he himself does control a 'Littlefinger rookery' back in KL. Any ravens going to the Red Keep will be received by Grand Maester Pycelle.

What Littlefinger did during the Purple Wedding was orchestrating a smokescreen to ensure that Tyrion would be accused of the murder. His job was to provide cover for the Tyrells, who did the actual deed.

Littlefinger most certainly had no agents in Joff's vicinity who could have done the stuff he himself may have done had he been close by (the agents Littlefinger uses are not the kind of people snobs like Cersei or Joffrey listen to or even tolerate in their retinue!), nor do I assume that Littlefinger had much access/contact to Prince Joffrey. His influence on Joff would have risen later on when he started to have regular contacted with the boy as a member of King Joffrey's Small Council.

1. Who says LF was even in KL? Maybe he was at a friend's place or in the Fingers (a short hop by boat from the North).

2. Who says a raven had to fly from Winterfell? Why not by horse courier and then from the Dreadfort for example?

3. Who says a raven even had to fly at all? We know his other agents are quite capable of causing trouble on their own. The instruction from LF need only have been to provoke conflict between Starks and Lannisters with the agents free to figure out the details.

These dismissals based on travel time and ravens are short sighted. How exactly he did it will be revealed in time. Martin was simply not ready to reveal it yet. But the hints are there.

Littlefinger doesn't have a vast network of people who are authorized to commit acts on the level of assassinating the son of a Lord Paramount.

Covertly deliver a pre-written letter: Yes. (Attempt to) murder a child: No.

Littlefinger doesn't have a vast network of people who are authorized to commit acts on the level of assassinating the son of a Lord Paramount.

Covertly deliver a pre-written letter: Yes. (Attempt to) murder a child: No.

How do you know? GRRM has not told us yet. On purpose. Because it would ruin the story.

There is a fairly large and growing list of suspected LF agents in fact.

Well, the hints are there that Joff did it on his own accord, trying to impress Robert. And I honestly don't see how GRRM could reveal Littlefinger's involvement in this later on. Joff is dead. Bran's would-be assassin is dead. Who would even broach this subject with him, if he was involved?

You should also not overestimate the numbers of agents Littlefinger trusts. Book Littlefinger is not like TV Littlefinger who apparently has a huge spy network of his own (rendering the office of Master of Whisperers somewhat irrelevant in the show - why the hell does Varys even exist, if everyone has spies of his own?). There are but a few. Oswell Kettleblack, Lothor Brune, and that's about it. And even they are only given missions on a need-to-know basis. Do you really think Littlefinger has an agent in Cersei's household close enough to influence Joffrey into doing what he wants when Littlefinger has to make this work all by himself later on (when he - presumably - convinces Joff to execute Ned, and later on suggests to him that jousting dwarfs would be a fun idea at his wedding)?

That makes little sense. Any person capable of influencing Joffrey would quit working for Littlefinger and start working for Joffrey. We see this happening in the books. Osmund Kettleblack more or less left Littlefinger's service after he was appointed to the Kingsguard. Why serving the Lord of Sheepshit when you are a knight of the Kingsguard?

And Littlefinger most certainly was in KL while Robert went north. We know that he's there when Catelyn arrives there before Robert's return from Winterfell. He is the Master of Coin at this point. He can't leave the city on a whim, especially not when Stannis has already left the capital (he is the king's brother, Littlefinger is a nobody who has to work to keep his job!).

By the way: It's not even sure that Littlefinger needed an agent to deliver Lysa's message. It was hidden in a box containing a Myrish lens. It's possible that Maester Luwin did actually order Myrish lenses (say, from Pycelle in the capital), and some guy delivered them. All Lysa and Littlefinger needed to do was to hide the message in the box before Robert's party left for Winterfell.

Archived