Would GRRM really kill the kids?

Northernmonkey

There's a lot of talk on this board of Rickon, Tommen, Myrcella and Shireen dying, but would GRRM actually go as far as having them killed?

Having innocent children murdered is quite a bold step, and I'm not sure if GRRM would do that. The most ridiculous suggestion I've read is that Shireen will be burnt alive, because there's no way that GRRM would give such a barbaric death to an innocent child. I wouldn't be surprised to see all of Rickon, Tommen, Myrcella and Shireen survive to the end.

By the way, I know Micah and some of Robert's bastards have been murdered, but it's not the same as doing it to major characters that we've grown to like.

Plain and simple, yes, he would. I am not sure he will, but certainly there is that possibility. Between deaths of Elia's children, the killing of those 2 boys that replaced Bran and Rickon, Stannis' dilemma over burning Edric, Mycah, Myrcella's wounds, I simply can't see how anyone would believe that any child's death is off the table,

Myrcella and Tommen are definitely going to die for plot reasons. There's no way the "Baratheons" hold the throne with all the new players (Aegon, Dany, Euron) coming for it. I have a feeling Shireen may die as well, but I hope im wrong. I also wouldn't be surprised if Arya died before before the end. Her entire arc is pretty closely related to death.

Between deaths of Elia's children, the killing of those 2 boys that replaced Bran and Rickon, Stannis' dilemma over burning Edric, Mycah, Myrcella's wounds, I simply can't see how anyone would believe that any child's death is off the table,

Because none of them is a major character dying. We weren't emotionally attached to any of them like we would be with Shireen or Rickon.

Because none of them is a major character dying. We weren't emotionally attached to any of them like we would be with Shireen or Rickon.

I don't know how many are really emotionally attached to Rickon honestly. That may change in the next book if Davos brings him back, and we get to know him better.

Were you emotionally attached to Ned, Robb, Catelyn and many other good people who died during war? Well, if it serves the plot, Martin will kill no matter what character...

Doesn't Val call Shireen a "little dead girl" or something similar? (When she tells Jon to keep her away from the baby?)

Possible foreshadowing or just Val being superstitious/wary of her greyscale? I know that's not really the same as having her burned alive or whatever but I probably wouldn't put it past him if he thought it would serve the overall story well.

Doesn't Val call Shireen a "little dead girl" or something similar? (When she tells Jon to keep her away from the baby?)

Possible foreshadowing or just Val being superstitious/wary of her greyscale? I know that's not really the same as having her burned alive or whatever but I probably wouldn't put it past him if he thought it would serve the overall story well.

She's definitely not in danger from the greyscale. I believe it's not life threatening in children.

But iirc, Shireen has a dream about getting eaten by a dragon. I think that's were a lot of the speculation about her death comes from.

She's definitely not in danger from the greyscale. I believe it's not life threatening in children.

But iirc, Shireen has a dream about getting eaten by a dragon. I think that's were a lot of the speculation about her death comes from.

Interestingly she only dreams about dragons coming to eat here, not actually getting eaten. So it could just foreshadow her being on Aegon or Dany's hitlist, which makes sense because they'll probably want to extinguish the Baratheon line once and for all.

Yes. He's going to kill all of them. The only one I'm sad for is Rickon.

Rickon: burned by Mel while Jon is in a coma.

Shireen: greyscale deactivated or by Patchface.

Tommen: valonqar prophecy.

Myrcella: valonqar prophecy. Already maimed by Darkstar.

He's done worst to younger kids. Remember that toddler Raff smashed in the face with a mace because he wouldn't stop crying? Then there's Aegon getting his head dashed in...

I don't know how many are really emotionally attached to Rickon honestly. That may change in the next book if Davos brings him back, and we get to know him better.

I was always startled by how popular Rickon is on this forum and how many elaborate theories about his personality and future have been woven (the most common portrayal as far as I can tell have him being some kind of savage Viking who will rise up at the head of an army of cannibal wargs from Skagosi and retake the North for the Old Ways). I feel like Rickon only appeared in a handful of scenes and had just 10 lines of dialogue combined in the series and only appeared in the first two books -- that's really not enough to get me attached to a character and I definitely wouldn't be able to come up with such a vivid image of his future based on that. He appears about as often as Shireen does.

That being said, I like the character and want him to survive, but I just remember being taken aback by the strength of the shared vision of the forum as to this character.

Archived