"The Dragon Has Three Heads, There Must Be One More" Who and What are the "3 heads?"

oursisthefury69

I'm not sure where Tyrion fits just yet, but I think he'll likely become the Queens or Kings "Hand".... trusty, witty, highly intelligent advisor of sorts.

In my gut I kind of always had the same idea. Especially after the scene where his is on the Wall during the "God of Tits and Wine" discussion where him and Var talk about how good he is at being Hand and playing the game. That whole conversation seemed a tad out of place unless you consider it poss foreshadowing?

Going back to Aegon's sigil, the three heads of the dragon were three different people: Aegon and his two sisters. Three heads equal three people, most likely three people with Targaryen blood, though not necessarily all three full-blooded Targaryens. Could also refer to three people ruling (as in the triarchs of Volantis, possibly), but I think that would be unlikely. Whether the three-headed dragon ends up triumphant in the end is anybody's guess at this point, it could just as easily be the partnership required to defeat the Others.

My guesses: Daenerys, Jon, and Tyrion. Aegon and the remaining Martell siblings back-up choices. Any other secret Targs, partial Targs, of course could also play in, but Dany, Jon, and Tyrion are the biggest characters in the series in a way, and are tied by the deaths of their mothers while giving birth to them. Jon and Tyrion got along relatively well. We'll see if he can convince Dany not to chop his Lannister head off.

Three aspects of one person makes sense from a pure symbolism standpoint but is there anything in the series that foreshadows that specific interpretation? I don't recall anything off the top of my head.

Going back to Aegon's sigil, the three heads of the dragon were three different people: Aegon and his two sisters. Three heads equal three people, most likely three people with Targaryen blood, though not necessarily all three full-blooded Targaryens. Could also refer to three people ruling (as in the triarchs of Volantis, possibly), but I think that would be unlikely. Whether the three-headed dragon ends up triumphant in the end is anybody's guess at this point, it could just as easily be the partnership required to defeat the Others.

My guesses: Daenerys, Jon, and Tyrion. Aegon and the remaining Martell siblings back-up choices. Any other secret Targs, partial Targs, of course could also play in, but Dany, Jon, and Tyrion are the biggest characters in the series in a way, and are tied by the deaths of their mothers while giving birth to them. Jon and Tyrion got along relatively well. We'll see if he can convince Dany not to chop his Lannister head off.

Three aspects of one person makes sense from a pure symbolism standpoint but is there anything in the series that foreshadows that specific interpretation? I don't recall anything off the top of my head.

I mostly agree with you, although I go back and forth with the third head either being Bran or Tyrion.

As for the bolded part, we've seen it, for Dany (see HOTU).

you sir could very well be correct, whereas an opposing theory (and it is, just, a theory), would be the 3 different factions united under one front.

"3 heads has the dragon." regardless of their lineage, a blackfyre is still a dragon, as is a brightflame.

interpret, a dragon has 3 different heads, sort of thing.

you sir could very well be correct, whereas an opposing theory (and it is, just, a theory), would be the 3 different factions united under one front.

"3 heads has the dragon." regardless of their lineage, a blackfyre is still a dragon, as is a brightflame.

interpret, a dragon has 3 different heads, sort of thing.

Then there would be three individual "dragons" as opposed to just one.

@KingoftheStarks The only reason this prophecy is ever referred to in the singular is because it references the Targaryen sigil, which is an homage to Aegon the conqueror and his 2 sisters, 3 separate people(and more aesthetically pleasing than putting three separate dragons to represent the three of them) And knowing as you said that dragons represent actual Targs in prophecy's, I'm not sure why it would then make sense for each "head" to represent a different aspect of a certain persons life, (some of which have nothing to do with the targs) rather than a Targaryen person like dragons usually do .

There is clearly some part of the prophecy that implies the need for 3 separate people in the same spirit of Aegon and his 2 sisters, and we know this both from Rhaegars desperation to produce a third child and the fact that he was actually beginning to rename them in that light based off Aegon and Rhaenys being his first two childrens names. I just think that he was wrong that all three will be his kids (as he almost admits by looking at Dany in Thotu)in the same way he thought Aegon was tptwp and not his child by Lyanna

hmm, people are actually believing the dragon has three heads phrase will end up being just daenerys?

maybe each of her schizo personalities has a head now, hmm? the one that betrays contract, another one that kinslays her unborn child, and a third that's a kingslayer.

*grabs popcorn, and waits*

@JonsQueenConsort How about if your going to quote and respond to me you actually respond to the entirety of my comment, instead of picing one sentence that bests suits you to respond to. If you actually read the rest of the quote that you only took the first sentence from, you'd understand my reasons for believing what you say im awfully sure about, and you wouldn't have to resort to childishly asking me if I read all seven books.

"Do you have read all seven books"- Jons Queen Consort

Maybe the reason your so terribly upset with this premise is because your entire 9,600 comment account is geared toward fetishizing Jon, and this makes him just a little less important

@JonsQueenConsort How about if your going to quote and respond to me you actually respond to the entirety of my comment, instead of picing one sentence that bests suits you to respond to. If you actually read the rest of the quote that you only took the first sentence from, you'd understand my reasons for believing what you say im awfully sure about, and you wouldn't have to resort to childishly asking me if I read all seven books.

"Do you have read all seven books"- Jons Queen Consort

Maybe the reason your so terribly upset with this premise is because your entire 9,600 comment account is geared toward fetishizing Jon, and this makes him just a little less important

I think there is going to be a twist on the "dragon has three heads" that'll disappoint you.

So the point is that the three-headed dragon may actually refer to a person with three aspects, not three dragon riders. You dismissed her point but the point is that GRRM put the scene with the three-headed Trios in the book for a very important reason. He is laying the groundwork for this particular twist on the prophecy in my opinion. The first tower devours the dying, and the third tower is where people are reborn. The middle head is the balance between the devouring and rebirthing aspects.

So it's like Shiva the Destroyer, Vishnu the Preserver and Brahma the Creator in a sense; each one is an aspect of each other and vice versa.

@LyseStark ^^^

1. I never said I think the 3 heads =3 dragon riders.

2. There's no possible direction GRRM could take these books "that'll disappoint me", and the only people that will be disappointed are people like yourself who speak towards these type of theories with such certainty.

3. Also don't understand why that particular comment was quote, considering your essentially responding to the OP, definitely a lot more than you are that comment

@LyseStark ^^^

1. I never said I think the 3 heads =3 dragon riders.

2. There's no possible direction GRRM could take these books "that'll disappoint me", and the only people that will be disappointed are people like yourself who speak towards these type of theories with such certainty.

3. Also don't understand why that particular comment was quote, considering your essentially responding to the OP, definitely a lot more than you are that comment

Actually that Trios scene has some importance, and it is a hint that may foreshadow later events.

I think the "dragon has three heads means just that. EACH dragon 3 "heads" or perhaps "souls."

It is sort of like warging. We KNOW that when a person wargs an animal they have two heads ie Bran in Summer thinks with the brain of Summer as well as himself and when in Hodor, Hodor's "soul" goes into hiding. At times the wolf seems also to take over the person.

Now for Dragons we know that life pays for life. My thinking is that each Dragon has its OWN dragon head (wild savage), it has the head and memories and "soul" of the person who died for it and it has the head of the person warging it who probably is the rider.

Now Drogon has his own dragon head, he has the soul of Drogo (dominant, fierce, strong) and probably the active Brain of Dany as the rider/person in control (possibly there needs to be a fourth actual warg and if so my guess will be Mormant).

A related idea is that EACH Targ carries inside himself/herself a dragon soul which lies curled up (just like Hodor did when warged). The reason so many targs go bonkers when placed under stress is that it literally "wakes the dragon." So some targs have very little control over their inner drtagon and are nuts very early (Aerion), others like Viserys struggle and clearly are being slowly taken over by the dragon, some like Aerys stay relatively sane until great stress (Duskendale) allowing the dragon to take over the brain. Others like Rhaegar, Egg and Aemon either have less fierce dragons or have stronger control. Now IF a targ has a real dragon, the inner soul may move into the dragon, allowing the targ to remain sane always.

lmao, i really dont see anyone riding dragons anytime in this series other than daenerys. i think quentyn demonstrated just how well dragons can be "tamed."

her bloodriders have more experience than most. they watched her dragons grow up, know them, and theyre masters of the horse. they have, if anyone is to have experience with dragons, the qualifications necessary to attempt to ride viserion/rhaegal. dragons arent horses and i realize that, but i feel out of her entire army thus far, her bloodriders would be most apt at the moment.

but all in all, i dont feel there will be riders for default dragon 2 and default dragon 3.

eta: my point being, the three heads in the phrase doesnt mean riders, i think it goes deeper than that.

and yes, i do realize my comment appeals to both logic and reasoning, in a fantasy novel. realistically, and i think george has done his best to make this epic masterpiece as realistic to actual human behavior as possible, her bloodriders would make the best dragonriders.

but i dont even see that happening. just daenerys riding drogon, and viserion/rhaegal following her in flight. thats all. and id be happy.

I think the "dragon has three heads means just that. EACH dragon 3 "heads" or perhaps "souls."

It is sort of like warging. We KNOW that when a person wargs an animal they have two heads ie Bran in Summer thinks with the brain of Summer as well as himself and when in Hodor, Hodor's "soul" goes into hiding. At times the wolf seems also to take over the person.

Now for Dragons we know that life pays for life. My thinking is that each Dragon has its OWN dragon head (wild savage), it has the head and memories and "soul" of the person who died for it and it has the head of the person warging it who probably is the rider.

Now Drogon has his own dragon head, he has the soul of Drogo (dominant, fierce, strong) and probably the active Brain of Dany as the rider/person in control (possibly there needs to be a fourth actual warg and if so my guess will be Mormant).

A related idea is that EACH Targ carries inside himself/herself a dragon soul which lies curled up (just like Hodor did when warged). The reason so many targs go bonkers when placed under stress is that it literally "wakes the dragon." So some targs have very little control over their inner drtagon and are nuts very early (Aerion), others like Viserys struggle and clearly are being slowly taken over by the dragon, some like Aerys stay relatively sane until great stress (Duskendale) allowing the dragon to take over the brain. Others like Rhaegar, Egg and Aemon either have less fierce dragons or have stronger control. Now IF a targ has a real dragon, the inner soul may move into the dragon, allowing the targ to remain sane always.

I wonder if Jon's "dragon soul" have wolfish instincts and "wolf soul" vice versa?

Archived