"The Dragon Has Three Heads, There Must Be One More" Who and What are the "3 heads?"

oursisthefury69

for some reason i think the three heads are connected to the three attempts that Azor Ahai made while trying to make Lightbringer. Don't know how or why, just a hunch.

Honestly I don't know why this is up for so much debate. There are very few options. Dany is definitely one. Jon is definitely one. The third is one from the following very short list:

Aegon (if he turns out to be real)

Stannis (if he raises his stone dragon finally and also learns to bend)

Tyrion (if he turns out to be a dragon rider and have some Targ ancestry)

Extremely, very doubtful long shots are Arianne, Shireen, Sweet Robin (Arryns have Targ ancestry), Gendry, Mya or Edric Storm, or Victarion if Greyjoys have Targ ancestry somehow. All of these characters are far more likely to die however.

People are twisting themselves in logical knots trying to make Starks into dragons, but that is not going to happen. The dragon is the Targ symbol and is related ONLY to the Targaryen "Fire and Blood" side of the story. This is not the only part of the story. There is a whole other part of the story related to Winter, the long night, ice, weirwood magic etc. and that is where the Starks come into it. So there is no need to pretend Starks are dragons.

for some reason i think the three heads are connected to the three attempts that Azor Ahai made while trying to make Lightbringer. Don't know how or why, just a hunch.

I doubt it. More likely Lightbringer is already being forged. Ice was used to kill Ned, then split. One of the two made from it will be used to kill a Lion (Lannister) then it will again be reforged - either the two parts of Ice put back together, or my pet theory, that either Widow's Wail will be merged with Blackfyre, or Oathkeeper will be merged with Dark Sister. Blackfyre and Dark Sister are the Targaryen swords. Once this merging happens Lightbringer will be the perfect sword for Jon: Stark + Targaryen.

People are twisting themselves in logical knots trying to make Starks into dragons, but that is not going to happen. The dragon is the Targ symbol and is related ONLY to the Targaryen "Fire and Blood" side of the story. This is not the only part of the story. There is a whole other part of the story related to Winter, the long night, ice, weirwood magic etc. and that is where the Starks come into it. So there is no need to pretend Starks are dragons.

GRRM said the third head does not have to be a Targaryen, which leaves it open to everyone else, including the Starks. Wouldn't make them dragons, but one could be the third head, particularly if Jon is actually the first head rather than the second. He would choose two other heads he can trust, and he trusts his siblings/cousins.

GRRM said the third head does not have to be a Targaryen, which leaves it open to everyone else, including the Starks. Wouldn't make them dragons, but one could be the third head, particularly if Jon is actually the first head rather than the second. He would choose two other heads he can trust, and he trusts his siblings/cousins.

This is based on an interpretation that IMO is groundless.

There is absolutely no indication in the text that the three dragon heads thing absolutely must be correlated with the future leadership of Westeros. They might be warrior dragon riders and that is all. Maybe none of them will be kings or queens, who knows. But if it is one dragon with three heads that does at least seem to imply they are all on the same side, in collaboration.

What GRRM supposedly said is often repeated here as a basis for all kinds of claims, but frankly, all it really means is that the dragon heads do not have to be members of House Targaryen. If dragon blood was not important for dragon riding, then the dragons would not have been instantly attracted to Brown Ben Plumm. And please don't bring up Nettles. She came in response to a call for Targaryen bastards and was from Dragonstone where many people had dragon blood. Her being darks skinned is zero reason to believe she had not a drop of Targ blood. Not being Targaryen, as GRRM said, would include Baratheons, who are of course not Targaryens, Martells, the Black Pearl, etc. who all have dragon blood but are not Targaryens.

Of the list I provided above, only Aegon is even potentially a Targaryen.

I doubt it. More likely Lightbringer is already being forged. Ice was used to kill Ned, then split. One of the two made from it will be used to kill a Lion (Lannister) then it will again be reforged - either the two parts of Ice put back together, or my pet theory, that either Widow's Wail will be merged with Blackfyre, or Oathkeeper will be merged with Dark Sister. Blackfyre and Dark Sister are the Targaryen swords. Once this merging happens Lightbringer will be the perfect sword for Jon: Stark + Targaryen.

Is this for real?

Jon, Dany and Aegon.

Easy peasy.

Further, I think these dragons are red, white (as in Welsh tradition) and black....no affiliation to actual dragons and their riders, of course, since Rhaegal's not red.

I mean the metaphorical dragons: Red-Dany, Black-Aegon Blackfyre and White-Jon Snow.

Rhaegar did not know the babe he made a song for was going to die and be replaced by a pretender. Think that's where the prophecy kicked him in the balls.

• 3 months later...

Has anybody thought about the source of this phrase?

We first heard it from Rhaegar and he was obviously referring to three people (Aegon, Rhaenys and the third child he was planning to make). Dany or Jorah never heard of this phrase before and they interpreted it as the same as Rhaegar (i.e. Dany has two people to find and trust).

For some time, it was entirely possible that Rhaegar coined this phrase because no one seemed to hear such a thing including Dany and Jorah. Jorah should have some lordly training and the sigils and the words of important Houses must be thought to every Lords. That is even more so in the case of the Royal House.

But in AFfC, we see that Sarella voiced this phrase too and the other educated fellows there did not seem like they ever heard of it. The question is then, where did Sarella read that phrase? Or was her source somewhat Rhaegar too because Rhaegar said that to Elia and that knowledge might be passed to Oberyn and Sandsnakes. We know that Oberyn and Elia were very close.

Then we see in the same AFfC that Aemon also used the same phrase. He believed the interpretation of Rhaegar as well (three people as three heads). He claimed that the dragon must have three heads but he was sorry that he was too old to be one of them. Since we know that Rhaegar and Aemon communicated a lot about the prophecies, dragons and whatnot, Aemon’s source might be Rhaegar too.

Later we see that Quentyn never heard of this phrase until Dany told him and he was a bookworm type (though Doran did not give that important dragon book to him as he gave it to Arianne).

In short, do we have a proof that “the dragon has three heads” is something ever heard before Rhaegar?

We should also note that Septon Barth's Unnatural History was destroyed in Westeros by the order of Baelor I except probably in Dorne which was still not part of the kingdom yet. There is a room to suspect that the dragon book given to Arianne was a surviving copy of the Unnatural History.

Perhaps Rhaegar had an access to that book through Elia and perhaps "the dragon has three heads" is something he read in Barth's book.

We see that Aemon and Tyrion quoted from Barth, which means not all of his books were destroyed but bits and pieces remain. However, this phrase might belong to a banned part of the book which Rhaegar read after a long time in House Targaryen.

I think its likely Aemon told Rhaeger about the saying after he inquired about the tPtwP prophecy

In that case, what books did he read? Were those books in Citadel or did he find them at the library of the Wall? Did he take those books with him? Did Marwyn buy that chest before the grey sheep and is he taking them to Dany?

In that case, what books did he read? Were those books in Citadel or did he find them at the library of the Wall? Did he take those books with him? Did Marwyn buy that chest before the grey sheep and is he taking them to Dany?

I think i remember Aemon saying he studied at the citadel for 15 years before deciding his place was at the wall. So its possible he read all the dragon books available as well as all books related to the prophecy of his house...he was very well read. There is a valuable book in the citadel at the moment that some people think hold the secrets to dragons...that jaquen h'ghar is trying to obtain...

Side note: What i find intriguing about Aemon is that he turned down the crown, turned down being grand maester and insisted he needed to be at the wall..Is it possible that the information he was missing was about the 'ice' part. He was well versed in fire- Azor Ahai prophecies and religion but knew nothing about the Others and hoped to find these at the wall?

I dont know

I think i remember Aemon saying he studied at the citadel for 15 years before deciding his place was at the wall. So its possible he read all the dragon books available as well as all books related to the prophecy of his house...he was very well read. There is a valuable book in the citadel at the moment that some people think hold the secrets to dragons...that jaquen h'ghar is trying to obtain...

Side note: What i find intriguing about Aemon is that he turned down the crown, turned down being grand maester and insisted he needed to be at the wall..Is it possible that the information he was missing was about the 'ice' part. He was well versed in fire- Azor Ahai prophecies and religion but knew nothing about the Others and hoped to find these at the wall?

I dont know

Aemon certainly studied a for some time in the Citadel but Marwyn claims that he was never trusted by the grey sheep. So, it is unlikely that he was given permission to read the banned and closely gaurded books in the Citadel. Septno Barth's book should definitely be one of them.

However, we also definitely know that Aemon read the Unnatural History at least partially, because he quoted that book. Tyrio also quoted Barth's book but he only read a fragment of the book. How did Aemon find Barth's book and how much of it he was able to read is a mystery.

Aemon certainly studied a for some time in the Citadel but Marwyn claims that he was never trusted by the grey sheep. So, it is unlikely that he was given permission to read the banned and closely gaurded books in the Citadel. Septno Barth's book should definitely be one of them.

However, we also definitely know that Aemon read the Unnatural History at least partially, because he quoted that book. Tyrio also quoted Barth's book but he only read a fragment of the book. How did Aemon find Barth's book and how much of it he was able to read is a mystery.

Either Aemon found a way to sneak into there. Or Marwyn gave him access to the book behind the grey sheep's back

Archived