College Basketball - Final Four and Beyond

RedEyedGhost

The article does touch on it, but I can't see him going to the pros. $8 million is a lot of money, but with the deal he did sign it's not like he really left a lot out there.

Glad he didn't take it. That's a $60 mil headache up there, and he pretty much had the same role with the Nets that didn't play out well.

The article does touch on it, but I can't see him going to the pros. $8 million is a lot of money, but with the deal he did sign it's not like he really left a lot out there.

I'm with you. He seems genuinely happy here in Lexington, so one would hope that is worth something that isn't shown in his salary.

Cal's competitive advantage lies in recruiting. No recruitign in the NBA = he fails real fast.

Yes and no. Where he really excels is relationships. That's why he recruits so well, and that would carry over to the NBA IMHO.

He's never going to be the best X's and O's guy, but I don't think Spoelstra is that either. He works well in Miami because he can coordinate personalities. Calipari can do that.

Cleveland is definitely not the right situation though and with the team coming back, he has no reason to leave. If something like that comes up next year? Oh I think he could jump.

Cleveland is definitely not the right situation though and with the team coming back, he has no reason to leave. If something like that comes up next year? Oh I think he could jump.

Plus he's repeatedly said he didn't want to move again until his son graduates high school, which IIRC he will be a senior next year. I think I'll be much more nervous one he doesn't have family ties helping to keep him here in Lexington. I'll be happy if he stays another 10 years and retires from UK (and close the championship gap on UCLA by another banner or 5), but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't try the NBA again at some point.

Yes and no. Where he really excels is relationships. That's why he recruits so well, and that would carry over to the NBA IMHO.

He's never going to be the best X's and O's guy, but I don't think Spoelstra is that either. He works well in Miami because he can coordinate personalities. Calipari can do that.

Cal certainly excels at managing the personalities of one-and-done guys at the college level, but NBA players (stars especially) are grown men with grown man egos. His larger-than-life persona doesn't seem like the best fit for that arena.

I think Cal's recruiting success came much more from quickly learning that selling the NBA to prospects, and then actually working on their behalves to make that happen was a winning strategy. The toe company line for 6 months and you'll be a first round draft pick is easy enough for these guys to handle, evne the nutjobs like Cousins.

Plus the fact that the players have all the power in the NBA, whereas it's the exact opposite in college. Good payers win 100% of fights with coaches in the NBA, and it's 100% in favor of the coach in college.

• 2 weeks later...

Nvm - the Embiid = Oden or Who is the Biggest Bust is in the NBA thread.

I wouldn't call Embiid a bust yet... he hasn't been drafted. If he slips to 5th or 6th; that's a potential great value pick. Much higher than that and the risk/reward equation doesn't work out.

I wouldn't call Embiid a bust yet... he hasn't been drafted. If he slips to 5th or 6th; that's a potential great value pick. Much higher than that and the risk/reward equation doesn't work out.

There are still good players at 5 and 6. If you take Embiid at 5, there are going to be all-stars that you took in front of him. And he's not even half the player Oden was yet. There's a chance that he doesn't develop even if he stays healthy, which makes him a double whammy. He was already the least sure thing of the top 3 before we found out that he has BAD FEET AND A BAD BACK.

The latest mock over at NBADraft.net has Embiid slipping to third going to Philly. That definitely seems like a wasted pick. You've already got a raw, athletic big man with lower body injuries that you drafted last year and never played in Nerlens Noel. I don't think Philly makes that move.

Its interesting how far Noah Vonleh has climbed on a lot of draft boards. He had a lot of hype coming out of HS (but not this much) and then had an "okay" season at Indiana. Marcus Smart is still getting more love than I expected as well.

In the linked mock draft; Isaiah Austin, Mitch McGary, James McAdoo, and Russ Smith are all pretty much poster boys for why you don't come back to school in today's NBA draft era.

Yeah, I don't see Embiid going that high either but maybe their thinking is that Philly has two top ten picks. If anything 76ers can wait and try to get him at 10. I hope Bulls get Shabazz and I've seen them taking him in other mocks. Daniels leaving is still annoying, a projected 2nd roundsr in everything I've seen. He should've came back. NBA does love guys like Smart so that's not too unexpected.

oh, absolutely. IF he is able to recover from the foot and back, in 10 years - or maybe less - the talk will be what a great pick he was, what a calculated risk it was to take him at 4/5/6. I think he will slip down a little more in the top 10 just because of the two injuries but the talent he has is immense.

Archived