Would you regret naming your child Arya?

AnotherCrannogman

Even if one might end up disliking the character later, as long as it is an actual name and not a made up one, I don't see any reason to regret using it. Arya is a short, beautiful name; it seems like a good pick to me.

I'd hope more people would regret it because the name is one letter away from having Nazi associations.

Funny you should say that. My name is Arion (it's Greek) (and male; don't ask. Hippie parents) and guess how it's pronounced? Believe me, it takes some people aback when they hear it. But I like feminine A-names, as a rule. I think they're voluptuous and pretty, and Arya is a lovely name.

At least it actually sounds like a real-world name and belongs to a good character. It's the people who named their kids Theon who I worry about (although that news story came out at the beginning of season 2 I believe (?), so they've probably realized their mistake by now).

Theon was a contender for my son's name after watching season one whilst pregnant. My husband refused to name him after a character in a tv show, which was lucky because I would have regretted it.

We went with Sam in the end, which gets elongated to Samwell when we're calling him even though it's not his name. My husband is non the wiser as he doesn't watch or read the books. In your face, husband!

The thing with baby names. Whatever reason the parents had for naming their child what they did.

As long as it is with good intention and not abusive.

The child grows into the name. And they grow past the reason for the name.

There may be naming trends based on aSoIaF now. But there will be a time in the not too distant future where Game of Thrones will be over. The fashion of it will be done. For good or ill. How ever the characters turn out or end. It will no longer matter. The baby will be grown and carry the name on their own terms. Give it different personality, embody it in a way that the character/relative/friend/cool person you once met/baby naming book meaning etc. never could.

Naming a person is hard for so many reasons. And no matter how hard you try there is draw backs a lot of the time. Even with common "traditional" names. The baby may grow up and still hate their name in adulthood. Then they have the option of changing it.

You find a name that speaks to you, That both parents agree on. Then go for it. Just make sure you give them a good middle name just in case.

No need for regret or explanation.

So no I wouldn't regret naming my daughter Arya. Because if I did it would be because it meant something to me. I saw something in that name that I connected with and what that connection was. Like strength, survival or tenacity. That is the true representation of why I'd be choosing that name. I don't see any shame in that.

My tortoiseshell (born feral under the garden shed) seems happy enough with Arya, and is growing up without any sort of complex as far as I can see (although she is a bit too keen at catching pigeons for my liking!).

My tortoiseshell (born feral under the garden shed) seems happy enough with Arya, and is growing up without any sort of complex as far as I can see (although she is a bit too keen at catching pigeons for my liking!).

Does she use a stick?

Archived