Video Games: The Real Thread That Never Ends

Relic

why? I thought the plot was pretty good but overall just a lot older of a game. It felt really dated in comparison to skyrim

New Vegas's world is far more reactive to what you do. Skyrim is a theme park where you romp around but nothing you do has much impact: you save the world as an arsehole or you save it as a hero, but you still save it or you can't progress through the quests. Siding with the Imperials or the Stormcloaks merely means different, interchangeable NPCs are moving from city to city. Lots of NPCs are invulnerable or indestructible. Your companion characters are just extra walking inventories.

In New Vegas there is a complex series of states that can be achieved by which faction you side with, and the game offers you the opportunity to tell everyone to stuff it and lets you conquer the world yourself (more or less). The game is much more morally dubious. You can kill anyone, at any time, and the game adjusts to it. Your companion characters are complex people who will react negatively if you side with a faction they hate. They also talk a lot more and have their own quests attached to them. New Vegas feels like more of a living, breathing world where every action has a consequence. Skyrim feels like a guided tour. It's a good game, especially when you are out in the wilderness with some fantastic vista to explore, but it's also one that doesn't hide its status as a game very far down.

New Vegas is also far better-written, with much stronger characters and vastly superior dialogue. Obsidian has some of the best writers ever to work in the CRPG genre. Bethesda, with the best will in the world, don't (athough Skyrim is still a lot better-written than Fallout 3 or Oblivion).

If your measure is graphics, I suppose I can understand... But by that measure, Dragon Age 2 is the superior game to DA:O/Awakenings. An that way lies madness.

Dragon Age 2 is, to be fair, much better-written, better characterised and has far superior voice acting to DA:O. It's also got a lot worse gameplay. I think I marginally preferred DA2 (it doesn't outstay its welcome by around 150% like DA:O) but Awakenings I think remains the strongest game in the sequence to date.

New Vegas's world is far more reactive to what you do. Skyrim is a theme park where you romp around but nothing you do has much impact: you save the world as an arsehole or you save it as a hero, but you still save it or you can't progress through the quests. Siding with the Imperials or the Stormcloaks merely means different, interchangeable NPCs are moving from city to city. Lots of NPCs are invulnerable or indestructible. Your companion characters are just extra walking inventories.

In New Vegas there is a complex series of states that can be achieved by which faction you side with, and the game offers you the opportunity to tell everyone to stuff it and lets you conquer the world yourself (more or less). The game is much more morally dubious. You can kill anyone, at any time, and the game adjusts to it. Your companion characters are complex people who will react negatively if you side with a faction they hate. They also talk a lot more and have their own quests attached to them. New Vegas feels like more of a living, breathing world where every action has a consequence. Skyrim feels like a guided tour. It's a good game, especially when you are out in the wilderness with some fantastic vista to explore, but it's also one that doesn't hide its status as a game very far down.

New Vegas is also far better-written, with much stronger characters and vastly superior dialogue. Obsidian has some of the best writers ever to work in the CRPG genre. Bethesda, with the best will in the world, don't (athough Skyrim is still a lot better-written than Fallout 3 or Oblivion).

Dragon Age 2 is, to be fair, much better-written, better characterised and has far superior voice acting to DA:O. It's also got a lot worse gameplay. I think I marginally preferred DA2 (it doesn't outstay its welcome by around 150% like DA:O) but Awakenings I think remains the strongest game in the sequence to date.

My favorite part of New Vegas is when Mr. New Vegas changes his headlines. It's extremely satisfying to be listening to Johnny Guitar and then hear word of your accomplishments. Although it does get annoying to still hear at Lvl.30 about how I recovered from near death, and how Goodsprings got overrun by Powder Gangers. It happened nearly a month ago, Mr. New Vegas. Get over it.

My favorite part of New Vegas is when Mr. New Vegas changes his headlines. It's extremely satisfying to be listening to Johnny Guitar and then hear word of your accomplishments. Although it does get annoying to still hear at Lvl.30 about how I recovered from near death, and how Goodsprings got overrun by Powder Gangers. It happened nearly a month ago, Mr. New Vegas. Get over it.

haha Thank you! It's one of those things like Skyrim's "took an arrow to the knee".

Archived