Video Games: The Real Thread That Never Ends

Relic

Same reason you are bitching about me bitching about it I suppose.

Your complaints don't make any sense though. You want an offline version of a game that, by definition of its genre, can't have one. Then getting testy and defensive when someone explains why it's not possible.

It's like asking for a glass of water that isn't wet.

Your complaints don't make any sense though. You want an offline version of a game that, by definition of its genre, can't have one. Then getting testy and defensive when someone explains why it's not possible.

It's like asking for a glass of water that isn't wet.

Yes, I'm a lot more aware of exactly what is to be expected from every single MMO game that ever has been or ever will be released thanks to this thread, thank you.

But you are absolutely wrong about me getting testy or defensive about anybody pointing out anything about the genre.

Far Cry 4 is coming on November 18th. Click here to read the official press release and take a look at the awesome box cover.

Interesting that a game being announced this far into the new console cycle is still going to come out for PS3/360 as well. Not that I'm complaining, it just further pushes back the date I need to upgrade.

Really liking that box cover too. I'm assuming that guy is the villain, but it'd sure be cool if that's the main character instead. I'd love to play as a Julian Assange who snapped and went to be a flamboyant psychopath in the jungle.

I'd say villain is much more likely. I'm sure Ubisoft will be trying their damnedest to top Vaas as a villain considering all the praise they got for him, and since he was featured on the box art for FC3 it makes sense that they'd feature the villain again. I'm pretty excited. I loved FC3.

Oh I'm sure he's the villain, just look at the other guy kneeling in the corner, he's got a grenade strapped to his hands.

I'm just saying, it'd be fun if he was the villainous main character instead, Saints Row-style (at least 1&2). But I doubt that's the case.

So I had a fun encounter yesterday. I went to my local gamestop to pick up 'Forza 4' and was checked out by the woman who's the manager. She's worked there as long as I've lived here (over a year) and I've come in a lot. Now, obviously, I don't really expect any clerk to notice or remember me, especially given my more recent aversion to socializing. But I've met this girl a number of times, even if in passing. Anyways, she asked for my phone number so that I could use my powerups card (having lost the actual card years ago) and then said 'holy cow, you've got a lot of points, does your boyfriend play games all the time?'

I was duly insulted. Here's this grown woman, who I assume is about my age, who has worked at a videogame store for at least a year, (and is very good looking, if I may say so) and she was casually disbelieving of me buying a game for myself! Despite the fact that I've been in that store dozens of times, and only once or twice with my stupid-awesome-dumb-gorgeous-sloppy-smart boyfriend!

I mean, yeah, girls get shit for actually having fun. I've endured an unfathomable amount of jokes about liking 'dude stuff', and it really doesn't bother me, in fact I sometimes like the teasing from boys if it's in good nature, and a lot of my girl friends have teased me too.

But a serious question from another woman who WORKS IN THE INDUSTRY!?! What???? And believe me, it wasn't a tease or a joke, it clearly never crossed her mind that I just wanted to turn a pink Honda S2000 into an S-class car and drive it through the Alps. And it was because I'm a woman. Fuck that bitch. I'm gonna eat Fritos and play my Madden Franchise. And god help the boytoy when he gets home.

-Rant-

I've sunken back into LoL, let's see how long it takes me to get frustrated with it and quit again.

-snip-

Wow that's shitty. Knowing anything at all about games is not a requirement to work at Gameshits though, it's just a retail job. This particular woman may not play at all, and as such assumes no women do. Sorry to hear about that Jace.

So I had a fun encounter yesterday. I went to my local gamestop to pick up 'Forza 4' and was checked out by the woman who's the manager. She's worked there as long as I've lived here (over a year) and I've come in a lot. Now, obviously, I don't really expect any clerk to notice or remember me, especially given my more recent aversion to socializing. But I've met this girl a number of times, even if in passing. Anyways, she asked for my phone number so that I could use my powerups card (having lost the actual card years ago) and then said 'holy cow, you've got a lot of points, does your boyfriend play games all the time?'

I was duly insulted. Here's this grown woman, who I assume is about my age, who has worked at a videogame store for at least a year, (and is very good looking, if I may say so) and she was casually disbelieving of me buying a game for myself! Despite the fact that I've been in that store dozens of times, and only once or twice with my stupid-awesome-dumb-gorgeous-sloppy-smart boyfriend!

I mean, yeah, girls get shit for actually having fun. I've endured an unfathomable amount of jokes about liking 'dude stuff', and it really doesn't bother me, in fact I sometimes like the teasing from boys if it's in good nature, and a lot of my girl friends have teased me too.

But a serious question from another woman who WORKS IN THE INDUSTRY!?! What???? And believe me, it wasn't a tease or a joke, it clearly never crossed her mind that I just wanted to turn a pink Honda S2000 into an S-class car and drive it through the Alps. And it was because I'm a woman. Fuck that bitch. I'm gonna eat Fritos and play my Madden Franchise. And god help the boytoy when he gets home.

-Rant-

Wow, that is horrible. I absolutely hate these shitty stereotypes.

I actually love my local gamestop. There are like 2-3 people who have worked there forever and are very knowledgeable about games. I actually have stood around in the store for 45 minutes just having a conversation about some game bewteen the employees and two other customers. It has always been an enjoyable experience.

Sucks Jace :(

My favorite Gamestop experience was buying a Harvest Moon game when I was in college. The clerk asked if it was for someone else, I said it was for me, and he gave me a thumbs-up and commented that he hates it when people pretend to be buying games they're embarrassed to want for someone else.

Can't wait to ride an elephant

You sick bastard....

Seriously though it would be nice if they went back to the original Far Cry for inspiration - I found 2 and 3 far too repetitve for my taste and haven't got around to finishing them (yet) whereas I played through the original three times.

So I had a fun encounter yesterday. I went to my local gamestop... and was checked out by the woman who's the manager.

Aww... when you started talking about a "fun encounter" with a woman "checking you out", I thought this story was going somewhere different. :P

IGN are reporting (speculating?) that we may be getting a Mass Effect movie in November 2016.

I read it last night and I'm at work now, so I can't link. But the gist of it was Universal and Legend (if I remember correctly) have announced a new "tentpole" release for November 2016 that isn't a sequel but is based on an existing IP. And the article goes on to say that Legend have previouslydiscussed attempting to adapt ME for the big screen and have talked about it being diffucult due to the breadth of the game and they wont do anything until they are sure they can to it right.

The article also mentions a few other possibilities as to what the movie could be, however.

My favorite Gamestop experience was when I went to buy my little brother a PS4 (his Christmas present from the family last year) and had to spend 15 minutes convincing the cashier that, yes, he really did want the PS4 instead of the Xbone and no he didn't care about Dead Rising 3 or Kinect NFL viewing.

Also when I went to the midnight release for GTA5 with a couple friends cause we had nothing better to do, and they brought a DJ and some Hooters girls out to sell wings and Hooters merch for some reason, and overhearing them angrily telling the manager as they left "We sold literally nothing." What did they expect? No one goes to a midnight release to eat and hang out. Give me my damn game and let me go home. And please stop playing Skrillex.

<snip>

Reminds me of an opposite experience I've had/witnessed. I was helping my 50-something aunt buy games for her son's BD, and one of the ones we picked was Halo 4. She goes up to buy it, the cashier nods and says "it's a good one, you enjoy the others?", and she just laughs and says it's not for her. The guy seemed completely unfazed by the idea of her buying the game and being a fan of the series, which surprised me a bit, but was cool.

Archived