Best TV Show Ever?

Dante's Girl

Depends on the taste ... the general opinion is that's one of the best shows .

Checking the imdb we can see that GOT has the bigest number of votes with the one of highest grade in terms of TV Series. Ratings: 9,5/10 from 550.859 users

And just look at other popular shows

Ratings: 9,6/10 from 476.720 users Breaking Bad

Ratings: 8,6/10 from 272.400 users LOST

Ratings: 9,3/10 from 124.701 users SOPRANOS

Ratings: 8,7/10 from 380.346 users Walking Dead

Ratings: 8,6/10 from 210.756 users Prison Break

Ratings: 9,0/10 from 46.801 users Oz

Ratings: 9,0/10 from 352.507 users Dexter

Ratings: 9,4/10 from 125.464 users The wire

Ratings: 8,9/10 from 214.150 users Doctor House

Ratings: 8,9/10 from 161.742 users South Park

Ratings: 9,0/10 from 170.674 users The Simsons

Ratings: 8,5/10 from 169.162 users Family Guy

Ratings: 8,8/10 from 186.159 users Supernatural

Ratings: 8,9/10 from 45.370 users Dead wood

Ratings: 8,7/10 from 94.424 users Boardwalk Empire

Ratings: 8,9/10 from 67.924 users Six feer Under

Ratings: 8,7/10 from 100.065 users Mad Men

Ratings: 8,6/10 from 139.755 users Homeland

Ratings: 8,1/10 from 167.716 users True Blood

etc

^

Battlestar Galactica is a masterpiece. All the way to the end, and to hell with the critics.

....I will respect your opinion, the same way I respect a father who says his kids are the smartest and his wife is the most beautiful in the world.

Breaking Bad and The Wire are superior to GOT, no question.

....I will respect your opinion, the same way I respect a father who says his kids are the smartest and his wife is the most beautiful in the world.

Since I'm not exactly married to Ron Moore and haven't fathered Sturbuck with him, I can't say I agree.

That series a MASTERPIECE. Masterpiece, I tell you! My precious Galactica... :love:

Depends on the taste ... the general opinion is that's one of the best shows .

Checking the imdb we can see that GOT has the bigest number of votes with the one of highest grade in terms of TV Series. Ratings: 9,5/10 from 550.859 users

And just look at other popular shows

Ratings: 9,6/10 from 476.720 users Breaking Bad

Ratings: 8,6/10 from 272.400 users LOST

Ratings: 9,3/10 from 124.701 users SOPRANOS

Ratings: 8,7/10 from 380.346 users Walking Dead

Ratings: 8,6/10 from 210.756 users Prison Break

Ratings: 9,0/10 from 46.801 users Oz

Ratings: 9,0/10 from 352.507 users Dexter

Ratings: 9,4/10 from 125.464 users The wire

Ratings: 8,9/10 from 214.150 users Doctor House

Ratings: 8,9/10 from 161.742 users South Park

Ratings: 9,0/10 from 170.674 users The Simsons

Ratings: 8,5/10 from 169.162 users Family Guy

Ratings: 8,8/10 from 186.159 users Supernatural

Ratings: 8,9/10 from 45.370 users Dead wood

Ratings: 8,7/10 from 94.424 users Boardwalk Empire

Ratings: 8,9/10 from 67.924 users Six feer Under

Ratings: 8,7/10 from 100.065 users Mad Men

Ratings: 8,6/10 from 139.755 users Homeland

Ratings: 8,1/10 from 167.716 users True Blood

etc

And this is the only proof you need that this is one of the best shows of all time. You could say that it's not YOUR favorite, you could say YOU think it's as shallow as a Michael Bay movie, but objectively you can't argue with these numbers. GOT is second only to Breaking Bad on this list, and GOT has quite a few more votes as well. To say the books are better is a given, but that doesn't change the fact that the show is fantastic and that people like it. A lot.

The show is fantastic, but I wouldn't rely on IMDB for an accurate portrayal. Shows tend to get higher ratings based on their relevance, so obviously new/current shows will be rated better than older shows that have had time to sink in and be rated over a longer period of time.

For example, The Avengers (a movie I adore), was rated a 9.8 right after its release. Was it a great movie? Yes, but was it a 9.8? I think many people would say, realistically, no.

GoT to me has one big disadvantage, making it not a really fair competition: It was not made for the medium TV and sometimes this brings up certain compromises that have to be made and sometimes you sense it even when not reading the books (I have friends that really have a feeling for it and usually then comes the: that did make more sense in the book, didn't it?)

It's of course not the "fault" of the show, but when we're talking best ever overall show, I can also not take it as an excuse.

It's biggest weakness is that whoever the hell makes this show is obviously obsessed with "white, black, morallyz greyz". So many of the characters and their actions feel forced. Like the people who make it think to themselves "oh, it's totally in character for ____ to be like _____ and do _____ but we don't want people to like/dislike them so we'll do something different". And when they feel like a character is too liked or disliked, they'll go ahead and make them do something to reverse it.

Always easier for me to break down TV series' season-by-season rather than as a whole at least until a series is done - even then it just makes a discussion more specific .. GoT Season 1 would be up there for me for sure but it wouldn't be #1..

There are so many brilliantly-reviewed & received shows I've never watched on HBO alone (Sporanos, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire) and also I hear LOST Season1 is up there for a lot of people.

For me it's probably not in any order True Detective S1, GoT S1 (with the others not too far in the distance) The Wire S3, Dexter S1 & S4, a few others shows that I don't feel like trying to remember specific seasons to rank - in short:

I agree with those who tend to withhold judgement on a series - as a whole - until it's completed. But Game of Thrones is definitely among the best shows currently airing, without a doubt. And just because I like to make lists...

Currently Airing and/or In Production:

10. Masters of Sex

9. The Americans

8. Rectify

7. Hannibal

6. Shamless

5. True Detective

4. Justified

3. Game of Thrones

2. Boardwalk Empire

1. Mad Men

HM's: Orange Is The New Black, Sherlock, and Banshee

All-Time:

10. Band of Brothers

9. The West Wing

8. The Twilight Zone (original series)

7. Curb Your Enthusiasm

6. Friday Night Lights

5. Six Feet Under

4. The Shield

3. The Sopranos

2. The Wire

1. Deadwood

I agree with those who tend to withhold judgement on a series - as a whole - until it's completed. But Game of Thrones is definitely among the best shows currently airing, without a doubt. And just because I like to make lists...

Currently Airing and/or In Production:

10. Masters of Sex

9. The Americans

8. Rectify

7. Hannibal

6. Shamless

5. True Detective

4. Justified

3. Game of Thrones

2. Boardwalk Empire

1. Mad Men

HM's: Orange Is The New Black, Sherlock, and Banshee