Continuum [Canadian Season 3] Spoilers: Sci will just talk to himself if he has to...

Sci-2

So for starters I'm going to note the challenge of having the Canadian schedule be about 3 episodes ahead of the American one.

I think it's a little unfair to keep to the American schedule as Canadians can't be expected to check out Syfy America's broadcasting schedule every week.

Will begin episodes discussion in the next post.

So for starters I'm going to note the challenge of having the Canadian schedule be about 3 episodes ahead of the American one.

I think it's a little unfair to keep to the American schedule as Canadians can't be expected to check out Syfy America's broadcasting schedule every week.

Will begin episodes discussion in the next post.

It's a bit like time-travel. Even so how can you discuss things with non-canadians without potentially spoiling? There can't be as many zombie fans watching this show.

It's a bit like with BBC shows or the odd occasion Sky1 airs things before the US.

I think I watched the pilot (can't remember) but thought it was doomed to be cancelled. At 3 seasons they must be doing something right. Is it worth a watch or has it tied itself up in plotholes?

Personally I think it's among the best time travel related shows/films I've seen.

That said, it takes a while to get there and you'll be faced with some plot contrivance at times.

I'm up to S3E4.

I didn't expect the Alecs to meet so soon. And it surprised me that there was hostility.

One broke the rules. But loves unconditionally. Has to earn the trust of Cameron.

The other as the trust of Cameron (so far - She lied to him). Broke off his relationship. And is working to become a suit wearing shark.

I feel like the "choice" between the two is getting more complicated.

How weird is it to mourn someone that you care about while seeing and interacting with them every day. It seems like that would be a hard thing to process.

And that whole freezer scene put me on edge.

I'm up to S3E4.

I didn't expect the Alecs to meet so soon. And it surprised me that there was hostility.

One broke the rules. But loves unconditionally. Has to earn the trust of Cameron.

The other as the trust of Cameron (so far - She lied to him). Broke off his relationship. And is working to become a suit wearing shark.

I feel like the "choice" between the two is getting more complicated.

How weird is it to mourn someone that you care about while seeing and interacting with them every day. It seems like that would be a hard thing to process.

And that whole freezer scene put me on edge.

YES! So glad someone else is watching, sorry I missed this.

Loved the freezer scene, didn't expect it but it made a creepy sort of sense. There's so many issues of identity wrapped up here, where one guy is betrayed and the other accepts Emily's betrayal without concern. What a difference a week could make to who you are!

My one point of annoyance was I loved Carlos and Betty joining Julian's nonviolent Liber8 faction at the end of Season 2. I get that might have been a way to show just how fucked that timeline was but that's the one part I kind of feel was a cop-out.

At the same time, there's an interesting tension in that we seem to be moving toward that direction again...

eta: Watched Ep 5, but will wait to discuss.

I just watched ep 5. Love to read what your thoughts are.

Cameron's situation seems so futile. On the one hand you want her to get back to the husband she barely trusted and the child that came from an unexpected pregnancy. Honestly what she wants is to get to her son. Which is fair. He's a pretty cool little kid. ( and I enjoyed seeing his toys. Speaking of which. Haven't seen the toy soldier in a while. Can't remember what happened to it.)

On the other, I can't think of any other reason to want that future. Unless you dig living in a 1984 Orwellian type future.

I'm just waiting for Cameron to realise that. She is making her big decisions based on her emotions and what she ultimately wants and not what is best for the people of the future.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing the "Emotional Woman" thing. I honestly think if the main character was a man faced with the same connections and choices it would also play out as naturally as Cameron's role does.

It's a selfish thing. Or perhaps, self righteous.

While Cameron manages humanity and compassion. She also seems unable to make the entire leap that her ideals and what she was/is fighting for is just as dangerous and radical as the movements she is acting against.

It's like Carlos is seeing that and is trusting her judgement less and questioning her more. I also think his grief is playing a part.

It does seem like their friendship is fracturing. At least how things stand at them moment.

But the way Liber8 is delivering their message and trying to affect change. It's something you would expect only radicals would get behind.

And yet the way the future is (or was) you can see why they were pushed to such extreme measures. The desperation is mostly apparent (at least to me) in the future scenes.

Also I can't be the only one that thought of Speed and "Shoot the hostage" in that moment.

• 1 month later...

Cameron's situation seems so futile. On the one hand you want her to get back to the husband she barely trusted and the child that came from an unexpected pregnancy. Honestly what she wants is to get to her son. Which is fair. He's a pretty cool little kid. ( and I enjoyed seeing his toys. Speaking of which. Haven't seen the toy soldier in a while. Can't remember what happened to it.)

I think she lost the toy soldier as she didn't go back to her double's place to retrieve it?

The situation is utterly fucked. I mean what does it mean for a timeline to collapse? That everyone in it dies - as in an entire universe or just Earth?

Yet no one can expect Alex Adler to just hold to the same decisions in order to preserve a future that doesn't exist yet....if that is even how things really work. It seems like the freelancers are just guessing at this point, and don't really know what is going on or how time really works. Is older Alex or Alex's father in the cage [in the backroom] of the freelancers instructing them?

I think it would be interesting if the timeline holding Kira's son collapsed. Would she be satisfied with a copy?

While Cameron manages humanity and compassion. She also seems unable to make the entire leap that her ideals and what she was/is fighting for is just as dangerous and radical as the movements she is acting against.

Seems like the revelations are coming slowly but surely. The problem is do you justify a dystopia by saying you saved a planet...or possibly universe? I kinda wish they'd not made the scale so cosmic as that, though I think the freelancers aren't 100% honest about the effects of time travel. That or they are ignorant of the truth.

It's like Carlos is seeing that and is trusting her judgement less and questioning her more. I also think his grief is playing a part. It does seem like their friendship is fracturing. At least how things stand at them moment.

Curious how much further you've gotten. I wish there was one schedule for this show, would work better that way. Ideally once the US has its finale everyone can be on the same page until S4.

But the way Liber8 is delivering their message and trying to affect change. It's something you would expect only radicals would get behind.

And yet the way the future is (or was) you can see why they were pushed to such extreme measures. The desperation is mostly apparent (at least to me) in the future scenes.

Liber8 is the most ingenious thing about this show. I love how they adapt their tactics and have gone for a less violent route. I'm curious what happens with Julian as well.

The funny thing about Liber8 is that I agree w/ them. The "bad guys" are fighting for whats right, and to some degree even Kira and Carlos know it.

While I get why they did the alternate, alternate timeline, I think even the writers are getting lost in the story lines. I am not sure this show can keep going much longer, unless they develop a strong story line. As a big sci/fi guy, I am not sure, I am keeping up w/ it. At this point, I don't think she could go back, too much has changed. Yet, at the same time, if too much has changed, where did she come from? It is enough to give any one a headache.

As for the collapsed time line, the theory isn't that the people in it died, they never existed.

• 5 weeks later...

For the most part I've found this season to be that they were just going through the motions. These past two episodes have been fantastic though (the only other one this season that even stands out in my memory is the one with Sonya's back story). I can't wait for the season finale next week.

This has been my favorite season so far but it seems like it's wrapping up?

The show supposedly had enough story for 7-10 seasons but honestly that seems like an exaggeration at this point. That or they diverge greatly from the initial premise into some kind of Guardian of Timelines Cop show and the corporation vs. anarchy question ends up left behind.

Interesting season finale. Liked it overall but:

I feel like the takeover by Kellog was a bit weak. I can accept hackers being treated as wizards, since that's how almost all geek shows do it but corporate struggles being decided by magicking the right legal documents felt too forced.

Also, I really wish the Vader-with-dreadlocks dude had a different look.

Anyway, hope there's a fourth season but it feels like they need to find a new course beyond "change the past, change the future".

Yay someone else is talking about this show!

I like this show a lot but it always feels like we are not given enough answers every season. One thing that was never brought up again was: how was Kellogg still running around if his mother was killed? I grew to dislike Alec because they both became such dicks. Does either one even know Emily killed Escher? They are fighting to the death over this girl who killed their father under Kellogg's under orders.

The mistrust between Kira and Alec is what allowed for a lot of the negative actions to actually come about. Alec desperately needed someone he could trust and confide in but he got none of that. Of course things are going to go sideways when someone that smart has no one they can trust and they are under immense pressure. Yet they only kept harping on how much PironAlec was a dick. Everyone this season except Liber8 and Carlos were dicks.

I am hoping we get more in depth background on the Freelancers next season. Their story was actually interesting and they went and killed all of them off.

And yeah Kellogg somehow getting Alec to sign his company over to Kellogg without reading the paperwork was lame.

The show should have ended with Kira & co getting snatched by the time-cops, that would have been a perfect end.

You mean the free lancers? Those guys also seemed like dicks to me.

None of the factions are all that sympathetic...and the idea that Alec Sadler traveling through time destroys timelines felt like some random BS fed to the freelancers.

Supposedly there's a story mapped across 7-10 seasons, but right now it seems like they have to continually change the future over and over again. When it was about anarchists vs. corporations it was interesting because it related to our lives, but now it's spinning out into something that might become an overly cliched re-hash of Terminator + 12 Monkeys.

• 5 months later...

Feels so good to know we'll get a proper resolution to the story.

It's a shame we couldnt get two more 13-episodes seasons, but if done right those six episodes could be really intense (and if done wrong really clumsy) but let's keep hope...

That is disappointing, but better to have six with a direction than thirteen without knowing where they're going.

Yeah, I think this is actually better than whatever weird run-around seemed to be planned for the 7-10 season story.

The focus can hopefully stay on Liber8 vs Corporations rather than diverging into Kira being the Master of Time or whatnot.

• 7 months later...

Archived