Acts of your favourite characters that you can't overlook

Tessarion

I can understand where Asha is coming from though. Like, i get that some chicks kinda dig that. Usually us more....dominant ladies~

But it is a bit of TMI.

Well, it's less that it's TMI and more that I would've bet on her to have, if anything, the reverse polarity on that particular kink...

Robb's attacks on the West smallfolk.

I'd have to agree with you there. His other questionable acts, marrying Jeyne, beheading Lord Karstark, I really do not fault him for. Should he have not married Jeyne, of course, but he is 16, his father's son, he was going to do what he thought was most honorable for her, and while people say it cost him the war, I disagree. The Freys and Boltons would have found another way to betray Robb. Then with Karstark, there were other ways out, The Wall, keep him as a hostage, but Robb could not be soft on him, not after Catelyn. But raiding and pillaging the Westerlands, I get it, pay back the Lannisters for what The Mountain did acrossed the Riverlands, but in doing so, he had to relinquish some of the moral high ground.

I'd have to agree with you there. His other questionable acts, marrying Jeyne, beheading Lord Karstark, I really do not fault him for. Should he have not married Jeyne, of course, but he is 16, his father's son, he was going to do what he thought was most honorable for her, and while people say it cost him the war, I disagree. The Freys and Boltons would have found another way to betray Robb. Then with Karstark, there were other ways out, The Wall, keep him as a hostage, but Robb could not be soft on him, not after Catelyn. But raiding and pillaging the Westerlands, I get it, pay back the Lannisters for what The Mountain did acrossed the Riverlands, but in doing so, he had to relinquish some of the moral high ground.

he was completely justified in executing Karstark. Richard had already commanded his troops to abandon Robb, and failing to punish Rickars would make Robb look weak. And he can't force Rickard to take the black. So executing him was the best choice IMO.

he was completely justified in executing Karstark. Richard had already commanded his troops to abandon Robb, and failing to punish Rickars would make Robb look weak. And he can't force Rickard to take the black. So executing him was the best choice IMO.

Yes, that is what I meant, sorry if it was not clear, I can tend to get vague on topics I have talked about before in other threads.

- Robb not telling Edmure about any of his plans. He's your second in command, treat him like one. Or at least make Blackfish treat him like one.

- Asha showing up at Winterfell, give Theon a scolding and then leave without giving him any support. And then whine about how much she cared about him afterwards. Like seriously, Theon did some dumb **** but Asha needs to be willing to make the best of a bad situation rather then pout about it.

- Barristan being willing to serve Joffrey until dismissed. That stuff really showed he is way more concerned with his standing then his honor.

- Jon's decisions towards the end. He had basically become everything the NW feared and more. I stand by Bowen's actions 100%.

- Sam rigging the vote to begin with. Democracy is about more then putting the right man in control, it's about giving the people the leader whose priorities they agree with and are willing to follow. Sam denied them this and with the natural result.

- Asha showing up at Winterfell, give Theon a scolding and then leave without giving him any support. And then whine about how much she cared about him afterwards. Like seriously, Theon did some dumb **** but Asha needs to be willing to make the best of a bad situation rather then pout about it.

Asha tried to give Theon something much better than more men to throw away: Good advice.

Theon refused it like an idiot. And paid for that. I fail to see how Asha is in any way to blame.

-Jaime Lannister pushing Bran out of a window (and I only became a fan of Jaime in book 2 or 3)

-Ned Stark taking Theon hostage

- I don't know enough about the claims Tyrion raped a girl in Selhorys (it seems to be misinterpreted a lot, as although the slave girl was unenthusiastic, she still participates quite actively. And on these forums a lot of posters are quite eager to believe the worst of Tyrion

From Tyrion’s point of view, he thinks he got consent, because the “Sunset girl” actively (albeit unenthusiastically) partecipates.
We don’t however know how she feels about it. Could she refuse to be a sex slave? Probably not.
Was she in the position to refuse Tyrion specifically? Would have she done that? Did it make a difference for her to sleep with Tyrion or anyone else? Is it very different being a sex slave in Essos or a campfollower in Westeros, that was forced to that life out of necessity or violence? Is a being slave different from being a westerosi paesant with basically no rights?
Since the discrimination to determine if that was rape or not is if her consent is meaningful or not, we probably can’t settle the matter unless we read her POV, so most likely it will be debated until the end of time.
But that’s the whole point. It’s supposed to be debated and thought about.

A lot of people take it for granted that a lack of enthusiasm = someone raping them. I've seen a lot of double standards when people refer to Tyrion "raping" her; nobody ever calls Lysa a rapist, despite the fact she had sex with Littlefinger against his will. And just because she's showing a lack of enthusiasm, it doesn't mean she doesn't want to have sex with him. Look at it from her point of view, she gets paid for having sex with him.

If in fact she was unwilling to have sex with Tyrion, then I'd suppose I'd add this to the list. Although looking at the quote above, that's a point of debate

Asha tried to give Theon something much better than more men to throw away: Good advice.

Theon refused it like an idiot. And paid for that. I fail to see how Asha is in any way to blame.

She could've easily dragged him with her if she felt so strongly about it. Alternatively she could've given him as few as 50 men, with which he could hold onto Winterfell for years and years.

Winterfell is the center of the North and what the Northerns will focus on recapturing. Now if you want to live the life of a pirate that indeed means **** all. But since Asha at the Kingsmoot revealed that all she wants is in life is hang on to their captured holds in the North it is very important. The Bastard of Bolton saved Asha from not getting kicked out of North long before Stannis arrived, and that wasn't exactly what she was counting on.

She could've easily dragged him with her if she felt so strongly about it. Alternatively she could've given him as few as 50 men, with which he could hold onto Winterfell for years and years.

Winterfell is the center of the North and what the Northerns will focus on recapturing. Now if you want to live the life of a pirate that indeed means **** all. But since Asha at the Kingsmoot revealed that all she wants is in life is hang on to their captured holds in the North it is very important. The Bastard of Bolton saved Asha from not getting kicked out of North long before Stannis arrived, and that wasn't exactly what she was counting on.

I m still curious as to how they were going to reach the East Coast with no central castle to re-supply.

Dragged him with her ? Why ? It was his life and his men to waste.

50 men couldn't hold winterfell. Did you not pay attention to the fact Manderly was sending tons of people up the White Knife by barge ? That place was doomed even without Bolton's treachery.

And no, Bolton didn't save anyone from anything. By the time Stannis beat Asha, Balon was dead and the Kingsmoot done, all the other ironborn had gone to the Reach. I don't get what's so hard to understand; Balon's plans died with him, of course it was easy to recapture the holds after that. All the ironborn went south...

As for needing Winterfell, it's fairly inconsequential when you're a force which relies on ships. Balon's plans clearly involved taking all the other keeps, most of which lie not too far from the sea. Winterfell was important as a possible "last stand" where the Northmen could have retreated once the Ironborn held all the outlying castles ("may resist us for a year"). Thus, it was much more valuable to the North than to the Ironborn, and razing it would have been ideal and a great Ironborn victory.

Dragged him with her ? Why ? It was his life and his men to waste.

50 men couldn't hold winterfell. Did you not pay attention to the fact Manderly was sending tons of people up the White Knife by barge ? That place was doomed even without Bolton's treachery.

And no, Bolton didn't save anyone from anything. By the time Stannis beat Asha, Balon was dead and the Kingsmoot done, all the other ironborn had gone to the Reach. I don't get what's so hard to understand; Balon's plans died with him, of course it was easy to recapture the holds after that. All the ironborn went south...

As for needing Winterfell, it's fairly inconsequential when you're a force which relies on ships. Balon's plans clearly involved taking all the other keeps, most of which lie not too far from the sea. Winterfell was important as a possible "last stand" where the Northmen could have retreated once the Ironborn held all the outlying castles ("may resist us for a year"). Thus, it was much more valuable to the North than to the Ironborn, and razing it would have been ideal and a great Ironborn victory.

Pray tell, how were they going to take the rest of the North with no central castle to assualt east side?

Pray tell, how were they going to take the rest of the North with no central castle to assualt east side?

Unfortunately, we never got to see Balon's plans unfold, seeing as he got an anvil dropped on him by GRRM, so there's no sure way to answer that question.

However, since White Harbor is much closer to Moat Cailin than Winterfell is to....anything, it's a reasonable bet that would be the first target on the east coast. Now, whether Balon planned to move overland, ford his ships (though it seems a bit far) or circumnavigate Westeros is uncertain. It sure beats moving them all overland up to Winterfell and then overland again to all the other keeps. That would be doomed to fail.

Archived