(BOOK & SHOW SPOILERS) An Early Look At Episode 3

iheartseverus

well the show has gone way further than martin did in showing ramsays brutality. Most of it is mentioned off page in the novels. The psychological torture is actually better in showing off how evil he is. him and Euron are the best at mind crushing mind games. though I think that scene is important and somewhat sad because they were sympathetic and only wanted some food and to go home. I hope the show portrays the ironborn at moat cailin as sympathetic as martin did.

well the show has gone way further than martin did in showing ramsays brutality. Most of it is mentioned off page in the novels.

I agree that the show is displaying more of the violence, but they've developed another problem for themselves: Show-Ramsay is too charismatic. Not quite Hannibal Lecter, but in that vein - he's someone who you know is a bad guy, and he's doing terrible things, but on the show he's somehow not as loathsome as he is in the books. There are plenty of "Wow, this guy is evil" moments, but I don't think they've presented enough "I want this guy dead!" moments - unlike Joffrey, who made himself more despicable and unlikeable pretty much every time he opened his mouth.

But we'll see how it develops. I thought the hunting scene that opened last week's episode was "good" in showing his brutality and trying to pass on the villain torch.

well I think most book readers would say they hate joffrey more even though he doesn't hold a torch to characters like ramsay, euron , the mountain. that's because of his spoiled personality. people can not stand the spoiled brat. Ramsay and euron are more psychotic and terrible but at least they had to work there way up unlike joffrey would was born with the silver spoon.

I just watched the preview again. For some reason, I just have to laugh at the last scene with Dany, only because the phrase is so common in our own world--she's saying 'I have something to say to Meereen,' and I envision a boyfriend/girlfriend or brother/sister or whatever, squabbling:

'I have just one thing to say to you!'

'And that is...?'

'NyEEja !!'

Works for me! :P

I just watched the preview again. For some reason, I just have to laugh at the last scene with Dany, only because the phrase is so common in our own world--she's saying 'I have something to say to Meereen,' and I envision a boyfriend/girlfriend or brother/sister or whatever, squabbling:

'I have just one thing to say to you!'

'And that is...?'

'NyEEja !!'

Works for me! :P

Damnit. Yet another Danny scene I have to laugh at.

I have to say I miss our Russian agents this year. Last year, by Saturday afternoons, we were inundated with screengrabs from the upcoming episode. I loved it, enjoyed studying and analyzing each still, trying to interpret exactly what was happening. I miss 'From Russia, With Love,' booooo.

Cutting Stoneheart makes no sense, they would not have bothered with Beric or Brienne's quest if that was the endgame.

Cutting the Ironborns, that I could see. Although I would personally hate it, I feel Euron and Victarion must remain but the Kingsmoot/Damphair stuff could be easily dropped.

Cutting Stoneheart makes no sense, they would not have bothered with Beric or Brienne's quest if that was the endgame.

Cutting the Ironborns, that I could see. Although I would personally hate it, I feel Euron and Victarion must remain but the Kingsmoot/Damphair stuff could be easily dropped.

Yeah, I suspect Damphair will be dropped too, and if there is a Kingsmoot, it will be greatly reduced in scale.

i agree. i also agree that jaime an brienne could get a new story line to keep things moving for them but i think stoneheart will appear because of that dream bran has where cat has a green skin tone and is very angry. they couldn't foreshadow her arrival any better than that and i fully expect that clip to be shown in the "previously on games of thrones" segment when she is revealed.

i just find that whenever D+D make a large departure from the show and make something up, it never works. Take the weird brienne scenes so far this season. Qarth was horrible and ruined dany in season 2. the theon torture all season was awful. If they make something up for brienne and jaime, im afraid its gonna be another character story arc ruined.

For every instance they tried a deviation that didn't work so well, there are examples of deviations that worked just fine like Arya interacting with Tywin, Gendry being substituted for Edric Storm, Theon almost telling Robb about Balon's betrayal before burning the letter, Rickon and Osha staying with Bran after Winterfell, Tormund leading the southern Wildling raid, Ned seeing Arya in Baelor and alerting Yoren etc. etc.

And although we haven't seen them occur on screen, I think the Craster's Keep mission, Bronn pairing up with Jaime instead of Ilyn Payne and Yara attacking the Dreadfort instead of hanging out at Deepwood Motte for a year will all come off pretty well.

So, feel free to cite examples of things that didn't work out on the show but don't try and say that every single time the show strays from the books, it's terrible. Because that's just not true.

For every instance they tried a deviation that didn't work so well, there are examples of deviations that worked just fine like Arya interacting with Tywin, Gendry being substituted for Edric Storm, Theon almost telling Robb about Balon's betrayal before burning the letter, Rickon and Osha staying with Bran after Winterfell, Tormund leading the southern Wildling raid, Ned seeing Arya in Baelor and alerting Yoren etc. etc.

And although we haven't seen them occur on screen, I think the Craster's Keep mission, Bronn pairing up with Jaime instead of Ilyn Payne and Yara attacking the Dreadfort instead of hanging out at Deepwood Motte for a year will all come off pretty well.

So, feel free to cite examples of things that didn't work out on the show but don't try and say that every single time the show strays from the books, it's terrible. Because that's just not true.

Agreed, although Arya with Tywin is debatable. Don't get me wrong, the interaction was cute, well-acted and served to make Tywin more three-dimensional, but Arya's stay at Harrenhal on screen was child's play compared to what she went through in the book; she was never in any danger and it felt more like the Jaqen H'gar (sp?) show (which is not such a bad thing because Tom was great, but Arya's development is more important in greater context).

The only other bad deviations I feel are worth noting are Stannis in 3x10, Mance Rayder, Sansa's stupidity in season three, Robb's love story and Dany's stay in Qarth. The rest of the show has been great.

They're not going to cut the Ironborn guys. If anything, they make for good TV. They're like bad ass Vikings and people eat that shit up. I would guess Asha breaches the Dreadfort and finds Theon. Theon refuses to leave or sets her up. I wouldn't even be surprised if Ramsay and Asha have an epic 1 on 1 fight. Asha either retreats or escapes and goes back to the Iron Islands for the Kingsmoot.

I wouldn't be surprised if either Euron or Victarion have some sort of major role in the war with the Others. Either through Victarion and the Red God or Euron and his horn.

Agreed, although Arya with Tywin is debatable. Don't get me wrong, the interaction was cute, well-acted and served to make Tywin more three-dimensional, but Arya's stay at Harrenhal on screen was child's play compared to what she went through in the book; she was never in any danger and it felt more like the Jaqen H'gar (sp?) show (which is not such a bad thing because Tom was great, but Arya's development is more important in greater context).

As you watched Season 2, those concerns had some validity. Based on where we are with Arya at this point, do we really still think she hasn't gone through enough hell in order to get her character where she needs to be? It was a conscious decision to delay a lot of her hardship until the following season and I think looking back, you can see why they went this way.

As you watched Season 2, those concerns had some validity. Based on where we are with Arya at this point, do we really still think she hasn't gone through enough hell in order to get her character where she needs to be? It was a conscious decision to delay a lot of her hardship until the following season and I think looking back, you can see why they went this way.

Not to mention that dispensing with the Bloody Mummers and the Brave Companions simplified things a lot. Just leaving the BwB worked far better on the screen.

I will stop watching the show if Lady Stoneheart doesn't show up this season. I swear it by the old gods and new, on my honor as a Tully, on my honor as a Stark.

:agree: I would throw a major tantrum!

Why do people want her cut from the show? I don't get it!

Lady Stoneheart is one of my favourite dynamics in the books. She makes sure nobody forgets how haunting and sick the RW was and promises us vengeance.

I will stop watching the show if Lady Stoneheart doesn't show up this season. I swear it by the old gods and new, on my honor as a Tully, on my honor as a Stark.

Really? I honestly pity the uber-fans who overreact like this. They're missing out on so much. ASOIAF/GOT is about a lot more than one character.

Really? I honestly pity the uber-fans who overreact like this. They're missing out on so much. ASOIAF/GOT is about a lot more than one character.

Yeah but even beyond the 'was is a good idea' or 'is she a good character' debate, she's too important to other characters' arcs to be cut, unless they replace her with something/someone else (which would make zero sense), there's no way she can be cut.

Archived