why all the Aegon hate:

PrinceJudeMartell

Getting it the same way does not mean they are both worthy of it.

In any case, the situation is different. As JonCon points out, that space should have been reserved to help curry favour with Lords throughout the conquest. Picking your friends is nice and all, but it's not the best way to get the job done. It's different in Dunk's case, because there was no crisis. Also, given the amount of D+E novellas we have to expect, I suspect he will have done far more to earn his place in the KG, if he hasn't already.

Yeah it does, and as Aegon pointed out noble blood doesn't promise loyalty deeds do. There was a crisis, the BRs .

I don't like him for ONE of the same reasons I hate the Ironborn. There is no time for this shit. If we actually only have two books left, we do not have time for this. The Others are the worst villains/whatever in the history of literature at this point. If they get defeated at the Wall, if the South does not suffer for their recent games causing so much death, then I will set the books down, light them on fire and never read them again.

The Others are such a typical fantasy villain. Not even Martin is dark enough to let them win. That would be like Sauron winning in LOTR. Obviously Jon/Bran/Sam/someone else will stop them. Who takes the throne is the unpredictable (therefore interesting) part for me.

The Others are such a typical fantasy villain. Not even Martin is dark enough to let them win. That would be like Sauron winning in LOTR. Obviously Jon/Bran/Sam/someone else will stop them. Who takes the throne is the unpredictable (therefore interesting) part for me.

They don't have to win, but if the dead, mostly commoners don't rise for at least a while to gut all those fuckers that raped and pillaged their way across the Southern realms...well, it's crap.

Dude you will not know how many theories Or foreshadowing points I brought up be put down as nothing because it involve Aegon winning the throne, but mention Jon becoming Jesus and everyone eats it up like candy.

Oh I do know indeed, even posters that complain about Jon being apparently the special unicorn savior child and argue that the books won't end with him on the throne still participate in shooting down every single alternative. It's pretty funny really.

People hate Aegon because they wanted Dany (or Jon, or Stannis) to win. That's as simple as that. They'd rather create theories about him being the secret son of Pycelle and a unicorn than admit he could be the son of Rheagar.

It's because we didn't laugh, cry and theorize through five long books for some random, unforeseen Targaryen princeling to be the winner in the end. He comes out of nowhere, and reads as an inexcusable plot device more than anything else. To give him a significant role in the conclusion would just be bad storytelling.

Since aegons introduction there have beeen many mixed receptions and countless rumors about his past... I was just wondering why so many of you are so against the idea of him being Rhaegars son?

First, I think that we are talking about serious misconception here. I mean, disliking him is one thing, thinking his identity is this or that is completely another. So, let we start with the simple fact that dislike =/= belief he is fake.

Now, I do believe he is fake. I do believe that because we have some pieces of evidence pointing in that direction. Does that change how I feel about him? No. Him being Targaryen or not isn't something I judge him for. Him being a good person is something I truly watch for. I think most people dislike him because of throwing that board of cyvasse more than they hate him because he isn't Rhaegar's son.

He's a little kid, which suddelny pops up in book five (this is already mentioned, but I repeat it).

Not a little kid, given that he is older than almost every young character (or supposed to be older): Jon, Dany, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Margaery, Tommen etc...

I don't hate him. I just don't think that he is the real Aegon. It always seemed very convenient to me that an heir to the throne shows up out of nowhere. He thinks he's real and that's why he has the potential to be a tragic character.

I'm actually sort of neutral about him. I need to see more to form an opinion on whether he's a good guy or not.

for some random, unforeseen Targaryen princeling to be the winner in the end. He comes out of nowhere, and reads as an inexcusable plot device more than anything else. To give him a significant role in the conclusion would just be bad storytelling.

Yeah, we never heard of him before, or about his death, his father, his mother, his grandfather, his aunt and uncles... It's not like if his death had been talked and avenged (let's say, by Oberyn Martell) and the reason for Dorne to hate the Lannisters for decades and planning their doom.

Furthermore, it's not like we had seen him as a child, in the arms of his father calling him "The Prince that was promised". His father never said "he is the song of Ice and Fire", which would have been strange, because it would have been the only time in the whole series that the title of the books is mentioned.

No, none of this never happened. Aegon is "random" and "out of nowhere".

I don't know if it is "bad storytelling"... or just people being blind... :eek:

So most of you have a problem with him appearing in book 5 out of nowhere.

WHY?

I for one think it's actually an amazingly clever move and an exciting, interesting plot twist. I loved it.

Like I said elsewhere, someone being a major player =/= being a main character. We already have our main characters and I don't think it was the purpose to make Aegon one of them.

But does being a main character = being bound to end up ruling the world? Absolutely not.

If he's real, maybe there's a reason for Dany not to become the queen of Westeros.

If he's fake, he will still shake things up and play a huge part in the story.

Aegon is actually one of the best parts of ADwD. He's a mystery everyone is talking about. In one book he did something Daenerys couldn't do in 5: got an army and sailed home. I don't find that as bad storytelling, I think it's unpredictable storytelling which is so much better than having Dany rule the world in the end (I will be disappointed if she does, cause that would be the most predictable ending ever).

I for one love the idea of him being real, because I can't stand Daenerys and I want to see her confusion when she finds out there's someone with a better cliam to the throne.

I think the problem is many fans like to feel they know all the answers. Me not. I like being surprised, I like it when my jaw drops.

I'd take unpredictable twists over feeling all smart because I knew how things would go ANY TIME.

I don't really know what to think of him if I am honest. I don't mind his appearing after 5 books, that isn't a problem for meat all. But we only get to know him for around 4-5 PoV's throughout the book, neither of which entirely focus on him. (Tyrion and JonCon are the Povs I mean.) So I don't really feel we know him very much and cannot really draw concrete conclusions. I also don't know what theory to believe; Blackfyre, Brightflame, Real Aegon, Random Valyrian looking child (the last is by far the easiest explanation) so whether he is a Targaryen has no bearing on it either. I suppose it would bother me that after all the trouble she has gone through if Dany was reviled because her nephew (whether real or fake) swans along and sits on the throne,particularly given the hugely different childhoods the two experienced. But I don't think I would dislike him for that, I would just think the situation less than ideal.

That being said, I do believe there are indications that he is grossly over-estimated by Varys (assuming the qualities he listed to Ser Kevan were the truth of course.) He seems awfully impulsive (after just a short time with Tyrion he decides to follow the plan suggested by him instead of the carefully laid plans of Varys, Illyrio and JonCon.) he is ridiculously petty and quick to anger (the throwing of the cyvasse board after Tyrion tricks him then making Tyrion crawl around on his knees to pick up the pieces.) and his treatment of Jon Connington is less than desirable.

Still, I don't hate him, but I have no particular love for him either

Aegon is actually one of the best parts of ADwD.

I agree with you and your post!

This character shaked people's expectations (while, in the same time, many readers were making theories about this one or this one being Aegon, like Edric Dayne).

JonCon was loyal to Rhaegar, and Aegon fits the age, intelligence and physical profile description. I believe the kid is definitely a Targ, but which one? Blackfyre or TPTWP?

The timing is perfect. Remember, the Golden Co. waited for Dany, and she flaked out. When word reaches Dany that her nephew, whom she dreamed about marrying lives, she will come to his aid quickly.

The real mystery is which son gets preference Jon Snow or Aegon? If Jon is walking through fire and controlling dragons with his mind, my guess is that even the Seven will drop at his feet. Even a hell bent Victarion and all of the Iron Born, if he isn't burned to a crisp like the foolish young Martell. Things are already insane, but things could go completely postal if Jon wakes up on fire and Melisandre is able to see his true origin.

I think part of it is that some people have come up with theories for how they think their favorite character will legitimately become king in the end, and if Aegon is truly Rhaegar's son that messes up their favorite character becoming king legitimately while he is still alive. A real Aegon is a hurdle to any favorite becoming king without becoming soiled in his removal as a hurdle. Don't get me wrong, I think there are various other reasons that contribute.

Since when following Tyrion's advice (which was true : Daenerys would not kneel to him and give him dragons) is being naive and easily manipulated?

Well, he changed his mind in a second. And it's not like Tyrion was giving advice, more like testing the kid and was surprised when he totally changed his mind.

Then Aegon became all high and mighty

Archived